SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tornado in Dallas last night
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tornado in Dallas last night Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted
It appears to have done significant damage to structures but fortunately there is no report of loss of life. I hope all of our friends in that area are ok.

Confirmed tornado causes damages in North Dallas, surrounding areas
FOX
article
Rockwall, Texas ( Brittany Loesch )
People in several North Texas neighborhoods are assessing the damage and beginning to clean up after at least one confirmed tornado touched down Sunday night.

The FOX 4 Weather team confirmed a tornado near Dallas Love Field just after 9 p.m. It reportedly touched down later near Interstate 635 and Skillman Avenue.

FOX 4 viewers shared video of the tornado in the Lake Highlands neighborhood of Dallas. Additional pictures show the grey funnel from the tornado near a Rockwall neighborhood.

A significant amount of damage was reported near Walnut Hill Lane in northwest Dallas, along with parts of Garland, Richardson, Rockwall, and Sachse.

The roof was ripped off the Northway Church on Walnut Hill Lane, as well as the Home Depot on Forest Lane near the Central Expressway. Dallas Fire Rescue’s Station 41 on Royal Lane was almost completely destroyed.

Several homes on Pemberton Drive near Royal Lane had their roofs ripped off. Trees were uprooted and tossed around and at least one SUV was lifted up from a driveway and overturned.

Fortunately, Dallas officials said they haven’t received any reports of fatalities or significant injuries.

Mayor Eric Johnson said the city of Dallas opened the Bachman Recreation Center for those seeking shelter after being displaced by Sunday's storms.

According to Oncor, more than 100,000 homes and businesses remain in the dark in North Texas Monday morning. The majority of those power outages are in Dallas, especially east of Interstate 35 were numerous power lines were damaged by the storm.

Many roads in North Dallas are still closed as crews work to clear the debris and downed power lines.

Dallas ISD said the following schools are closed Monday because of storm damage: Cary Middle School, Cigarroa Elementary School, Pershing Elementary School, Thomas Jefferson High School, Walnut Hill Elementary School, and David G. Burnet Elementary School.

First responders said they believe Walnut Hill Elementary School could be a total loss because of the water and gas leaks inside.

Jefferson High School was also hit by the tornado and significantly damaged. The school already had some construction work underway on the property and one of the construction trailers was ripped apart in the storm and flipped on top of a vehicle in the parking lot.

Episcopal School of Dallas and Saint Mark’s School of Texas are also closed on Monday.

Richardson ISD officials said they will be assessing damages, and schools could be canceled or delayed Monday. If they are, parents will be notified by phone, email and text.

Midlothian ISD canceled classes at all schools Monday because of widespread power outages in the area.

https://www.fox4news.com/weath...as-surrounding-areas

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/20...s-tornado/index.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I was watching Fox 4 TV for news of the tornado after getting alerts on the TV. It apparently went east a mile or 2 south of me. My community had no effects at all--very light rain, no hail or high winds--quite calm. All OK here. Several of the Community Colleges are closed today because of power outages, though. (We had only a few brief flickers of power at my house.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Glad you checked in. I was concerned about you.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m north of FlashGuy but we had some other wall clouds near us (listening to SkyWarn on ham radio). We were under the stairs in a closet for about 20 minutes but we only got pouring rain.

It would be nice to hear from Dallas239. He might live in/near the area hit. If I still have his phone number and will txt him.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
My wife and I (and Zini the Scottie) dodged a major bullet last night. Our house in Farmers Branch is 2 3/4 miles due north of the intersection of Walnut Hill Lane and Marsh Lane, where most of a shopping center was torn apart and the steeple of our 75-year-old United Methodist church 1000 feet north of there was torn apart.

We have no electricity at our house, but our situation is nothing compared to what the people in the tornado’s path are going through.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
My wife and I (and Zini the Scottie) dodged a major bullet last night. Our house in Farmers Branch is 2 3/4 miles due north of the intersection of Walnut Hill Lane and Marsh Lane, where most of a shopping center was torn apart and the steeple of our 75-year-old United Methodist 1000 feet north of there was torn apart.

We have no electricity at our house, but our situation is nothing compared to what the people in the tornado’s path are going through.

Glad you guys are okay. My parents in South Carrollton (just north of you) have power, but the next door neighbors don't. Definitely dodged a big one here.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
quote:
My wife and I (and Zini the Scottie) dodged a major bullet last night. Our house in Farmers Branch is 2 3/4 miles due north of the intersection of Walnut Hill Lane and Marsh Lane, where most of a shopping center was torn apart and the steeple of our 75-year-old United Methodist 1000 feet north of there was torn apart.

Glad you guys are okay. My parents in South Carrollton (just north of you) have power, but the next door neighbors don't. Definitely dodged a big one here.

Are they in Trafalgar Square?

posted Hide Post
My daughter was at a concert in Deep Ellum last night. She said she saw a lot of damage while driving home late to her place in Farmers Branch.

We were worried last night.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Glad you checked in. I was concerned about you.
I was a little wrong in what I wrote. Looking at the storm track it appears that the tornado veered northeast somewhat west of me and actually went north of my house by a mile or so.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Over here in Tarrant County, just a bit of wind and rain, no debris or damage of any kind. Didn't even know about a tornado until this AM on this forum, I don't watch the news.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
quote:

Are they in Trafalgar Square?

No, a bit west of there. They're on an acre lot with mature pecan, live oak and cottonwood trees, so I was a bit concerned when I started seeing photos.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
The area around Walnut Hill and Harry Hines looks like a bomb went off. There are overturned cars, trucks, even a DART bus everywhere. Police won’t let anyone in but we came in by rail to evaluate damages.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Those photos are incredible. It’s a miracle nobody was killed in that deal.

posted Hide Post
It started 7 miles Southeast of me and that's closer than I'd like. Stayed up until 1am waiting on that second round of storms to make sure nothing spun out of those. This one made me want to get a NOAA Weather Radio. Especially since NBC didn't cut away from the Cowboys game.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:

The saving grace was that it hit on a Sunday evening and that particular area is heavily industrial.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
It started 7 miles Southeast of me and that's closer than I'd like. Stayed up until 1am waiting on that second round of storms to make sure nothing spun out of those. This one made me want to get a NOAA Weather Radio. Especially since NBC didn't cut away from the Cowboys game.

I was surprised that NBC was not covering the tornado warning especially with all the reports of from storm spotters coming in very early.
Aren’t they required by law to warn the public? I don’t recall seeing a warning banner on screen a good 3 minutes or so into it.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
Fox 4 was doing a superb job reporting on the tornado. I was getting Emergency Warnings on the cable every few minutes.

flashguy

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It touched down several miles from me. Closest I have ever been to a touch down. The thunder was rattling the whole house for hours it was so close. I was getting constant alerts on my phone from lightning strikes in extremely close proximity to the house. Lost power, they restored after 1.5 hours then power went out for 7 hours and Oncor refused to ack that our entire neighborhood was down a 2nd time. I sat on the porch after the tornado cleared off to Garland (house got humid from the rain) until the rain got so severe it pushed me back inside. I stayed up extremely late as I didn't want to be asleep while a 2nd round of storms came through. And without power the dog and I stayed awake and alert. Was in the bathtub with the k9 for an hour during the tornado sirens. Very difficult night and didn't go to work yesterday.

Prayers for all affected.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not only was nobody killed, but a baby was born during the tornado in the laundry room of a birthing center in Rowlett, a suburb about 15 miles east of Dallas.

It's probably the first tornado in recent memory that resulted in a gain of life.

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife and I (and Zini the Scottie) dodged a major bullet last night. Our house in Farmers Branch is 2 3/4 miles due north of the intersection of Walnut Hill Lane and Marsh Lane, where most of a shopping center was torn apart and the steeple of our 75-year-old United Methodist church 1000 feet north of there was torn apart.

POWER UPDATE:

At around 7:15 last night (Monday), our electricity came back on while we were walking our dog.

When we turned the corner toward our house, the lights at the houses on our side of the street came on. The priceless look on my wife's face reminded me of when Clark Griswold flipped the switch on the Christmas display.