SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Saudi Arabia has just gotten more interesting in the last few days!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saudi Arabia has just gotten more interesting in the last few days! Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
The nice thing about an anticorruption campaign is that the corrupt tend to be guilty of a variety of sins.

It’s actually a way of life he is trying to change.

Corruption is a flexible term in practice. It must be measured by a certain set of rules. In the absense of those rules that everyone knows and abides by, or deviates from, the term loses meaning.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
The worst thing is that NO ONE is completely free of so-called sins.

I applaud the evolution of that hillbilly desert nation and its loony royalty, but throughout history a great many such campaigns are witch hunts masquerading as something more, and are typical power struggles with no real relationship to what's right or just.

It will be interesting to see what this crown price really does with his power and influence.

Was speaking to some friends who were posted in Saudi the last four years, their take from what they know and understand of the govt is as many have said. The young prince is cleaning out all the threats to him and the ideas he wants to do. The first round is all the guys that were direct threats, either they got passed over or, they had immense influence with the prior big chief; any coup attempt would've started with them. The next round will be those that would've benefited from those recently removed guys, most of these guys were the middle-men, usually younger guys who had bright futures with the old regieme. There's a lot of talk about trying to modernize and get updated, however, we're talking Saudi Arabia here, a country that is the standard bearer of the term 'old school'.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I certainly won’t hold my breath, and won’t predict anything, but I am never failed to be amazed by the pundits who don’t hesitate a moment to make sweeping predictions in almost complete ignorance. If there is to be change, though, it must start someplace. This could go nowhere, or it could have profound consequences.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
As with everyone else, I have no clue how this will all turn out.

However, if I could be the first legit liquor store owner over there, well that would probably be just dandy.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
so there is a smoking chance they may come out of the 3rd Century?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I stumbled upon this article about what’s going on inside Saudi Arabia; their version of the “Night of the Long Knives”.

http://www.atimes.com/article/...i-night-long-knives/

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post