SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Illinois pending gas pumping law <roll eyes>
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illinois pending gas pumping law <roll eyes> Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
What will that do the the pump price.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
There is a numbers problem here at least... most of the stations around here have 12-20 pumps and multiple isles to pull into on both sides of the pump.... and I would say at those 8-12 cars are getting gas at any one time... how many attendants is that going to take to not have one hell of a long line?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Why would you want someone else to pump your gas?

I've only been to Oregon once. I had to fuel up a few times while I was there, and I didn't like it. I don't like other people touching my car, and one of the yahoos told me to drive off without replacing my gas cap. Thankfully I was watching him like a hawk and caught it before I drive off. I asked one of them why in Oregon they had to do that, and he told me it was so people wouldn't spill gas on their pants. I've lived in places where people pump their own gas my entire life and I've never seen that happen.

I can and have replaced entire fuel systems in cars. I'm far more qualified to put gas in my car than some minimum wage flunkie at a service station.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Why would anyone want to pump their own gas.

One, I don’t want them scratching shit up, or dribbling fuel down my paint in a hurry.

On my sportbikes, it’s easy to set it, go to another customer, overfill it and have overfill all over the tank. Sportbike filling is very particular. You don’t just shove it end, requires eye balling the whole way.

I also don’t want my groceries delivered to my door. I want to pick my own produce.

This convenience society has no bounds.

I agree 100%!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because I'm a responsible adult who doesn't require that level of state oversight all adults should be able to perform.

And as others have said, I don't need a flunky to fuckup such a basic function, who, if he makes a mistake I still pay for. I hate travelling through NJ and ensure I have enough gas to get through the state so I don't have to stop.

48/50 states can't be wrong. Illinois is full of idiots. I guess they want more people to leave faster.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
NJ has been that way for some time you can’t pump your own gas. F’ing ridiculous.
I live in PA but work in NJ. As far back as I can remember it's always been Full Service only in NJ. It's the unions that won't let that die off.

It gets rather annoying. Sitting there waiting for the attendant to come out, then after about 5 minutes you decided to just do it yourself and THEN the attendant comes running out saying you can't do that. Roll Eyes

Legally it's the gas station that can get fined for a customer pumping their own gas. But yet in the winter time and the really hot days in the summer are usually when you see people pumping their own gas because the attendants do not want to go outside.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Let's see. We've been pumping our own gas in 49 states since ???? All of a sudden we are incapable of this highly sophisticated task where we need a HS dropout to take the helm. 2 of my cars don't even have a gas cap.

What next - we can't wash our own windows?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Oregon resident here. Gas attendants can be slow or understaffed. They also don't tighten the gas cap all the way giving me the "Check gas cap" light.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Because it's inherently safer to have a minimum wage monkey who has watched the video pump your gas for you.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 19tass:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

One, I don’t want them scratching shit up, or dribbling fuel down my paint in a hurry.

On my sportbikes, it’s easy to set it, go to another customer, overfill it and have overfill all over the tank. Sportbike filling is very particular. You don’t just shove it end, requires eye balling the whole way.

I also don’t want my groceries delivered to my door. I want to pick my own produce.

This convenience society has no bounds.

I agree 100%!

I agree also. I live in NJ. With regards to motorcycles, I've noticed that the attendants set up the pump and hand off to the owner to do the filling. In 20 years, I've never seen an attendant filling a bike. Never. I've always seen the owner do it.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
On a related note, I always insisted on fueling my own airplane. I am the person who has to deal with problems in the air while the fuel truck driver is safe on the ground.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
In 20 years, I've never seen an attendant filling a bike. Never. I've always seen the owner do it.

And why are motorcycles owners considered competent to fill their own tank but no one else is?
It just demonstrates how absurd it is. It's a forced, make-work job that people have to pay for whether there's a market for it or not.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
I hope they plan to pay them at least $20/hr. They need a living wage ya know.

The world is spinning off it's axis.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why would anyone want some nannystate bullshit law that says you can't pump your own gas?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Also, as far as I know, diesel pumps in NJ are now self serve. Perhaps gas station owners finally got sick of having to pay to repair all the diesel pickups that got destroyed when the pump monkeys put in gas instead of diesel. Happened to my brother-in-law, though he caught it while the attendant was pumping. His truck was running at the time though when he saw what was happening so quickly shut off the engine and called over the manager. He made the station pay to have the whole fuel system flushed out as well as replace the injectors, filters, etc.

More than once I had to get out of my Lightning and stop the gas pump when the idiot attendant had started pumping in Regular when I asked for Premium.

I hate "full service" gas stations. Waste of my damn time.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last time I stopped at a station in Oregon the attendant spilled gas on my car. So much for skilled and safe attendants!

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Since I won't allow other people to work on my vehicles, you can well imagine my opinion of this ridiculous law.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Then there's always that one person ...

My first thought is to always "double bag" your gas.

My second thought is, "Plastic bags were banned in some locations. She should be using paper for the sake of the environment."

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/XRjNdgAetQE

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’ve encountered this in both New Jersey and Oregon. Both times, I pulled up to the pump, got out and started fueling up before some panicked nitwit came running out of the station shouting “You can’t do that!” to which I replied “sure I can, look, I’m doing it.” Such a hassle, I can’t understand why anyone who isn’t handicapped or has mobility problems wouldn’t prefer to just do it themselves.

A year or two ago, they were talking about passing a law in Oregon to make full service optional and I believe it died in committee. However, the local news radio carried a story with interviews where they polled customers in Oregon at a gas station. Grown adults were horrified at the notion. Much talk of “spilling gas” or having their “hands smell like gas” or getting it on their clothes. One woman was in her late 60’s and said she wouldn’t even know what to do because she’d never pumped her own gas her entire life. I have to admit, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
NJ has been that way for some time you can’t pump your own gas

Many years back there was a push to change to self service. This was in the early days of the automated pumps.

quote:
My first thought is to always "double bag" your gas.

During Sandy the NJ residents in some areas were so clueless about living without electric for a day or so. They all went out and bought generators while living on the 8th floor of a apartment building. Few knew what a adequate gas can looked like. Some used sparkle buckets to get gas until the cities started stopping it. I can see the refilling process now.

The state could care less. It was the Gas Station Owners Association that pushed back against the bill and it died. They tried a few years back and the residents themselves were against it. Apparently too lazy to get their butt out of the car and fuel it up.

My trips back and having to get gas sucks. One attendant for twenty pumps. While gassing they never get off the phone. Fortunately the normal trip onl;y requires one stop in a station before heading back home.

You just know in NJ this will be the result.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post