SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Illinois pending gas pumping law <roll eyes>
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illinois pending gas pumping law <roll eyes> Login/Join 
posted
Because 1/8th of the "blow me" state's drivers crossing the borders to buy their gas , is not enough

Hired law makers want to pass a law that will make someone else pump you gas for you.

https://www.kwqc.com/content/n...n-gas-567781501.html

It's not uncommon to see a dozen or more illinois plate's when at Sam's club or Costco,
buying gas, over in Iowa.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
NJ has been that way for some time you can’t pump your own gas. F’ing ridiculous.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the OP's link:

"New Jersey also has a similar law in effect. Safety was one of the primary concerns for the bill. The National Fire Prevention Association reports that in a five-year span, fire departments responded to over 5 thousand gas station fires per year in the United States."

Uh...so these were solely at self-serve pumps? Were any in NJ?

Never mind, what a great idea! Make ALL drivers pay more for gas. That's gonna do wonders for your already sagging ecodnomy.

I'm sooo glad I live across the river in Iowa.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
NJ has been that way for some time you can’t pump your own gas. F’ing ridiculous.

Oregon, too....however, I found that if you're on a motorcycle the attendant will let you fill the gas tank.

I don't want no gas spill on the bike.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safety wasn't even mentioned as a concern in Illinois. You should have seen the dingbat who came up with this brainstormer of an idea on the news. She acted as if she found a winning lottery ticket bragging how she is at the forefront of creating job growth and how many jobs this will provide.

It was unbelievably painful to listen to her and how proud of this idea she was.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

See the posted sign in the background: Gas is 19 cents a gallon.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
That's been the case in Oregon for years. Only place you can pump your own gas is at a fleet facility and even that requires a sign off on competence.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
That's been the case in Oregon for years. Only place you can pump your own gas is at a fleet facility and even that requires a sign off on competence.

And at Seven Feathers!!! Cheaper too!

Posts: 1979 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One can only assume that self-check lanes at the grocery store and the order kiosks springing up at all the fast food joints will soon be under attack, too. Roll Eyes

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This new law is designed to protect the public. New high paying jobs for Illinois youth! Iowa should follow. LOL

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Funny how things go in circles. I remember when every station had an attendant to pump your gas and clean your windows. Then the self serve showed up.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
That's been the case in Oregon for years.
Yeah, I found that out once attempting to gas up a work rental car.

"I have to do it, I have to do it" yelled the attendant, who swiped my credit card, started the pump, then ran off to another car to start their pump, leaving them all unattended.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone want to pump their own gas.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

I don't want some creepy dude approaching my car at 2 am and fiddling with my car.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
You have watched too many bad horror movies that use this as a standard MO for a carjacking, rape, or some type of assault. As detailed below:

It’s a horror movie cliche as old as the haunted house: the Last Chance gas station with the lone attendant. It’s the last stop the carload of teenagers or the family on vacation make before their appointment with the hillbilly cannibal family, the haunted cabin, or whatever beastly boogie is lurking out there. And sometimes the horror doesn’t even wait for the customers to leave, but attacks right there at the gas station. Here we salute that stalwart server of petrol and issuer of grave warnings. Next time you stop for gas, listen to your gas station attendant! It’s his job to come to work just a mile around the bend from the ghastly horror, he knows what he’s talking about. And what respect does he get? Sometimes he doesn’t even make it into the trailer.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
What's next? Lowes and Home Depot clerks actually checking you out? Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

One, I don’t want them scratching shit up, or dribbling fuel down my paint in a hurry.

On my sportbikes, it’s easy to set it, go to another customer, overfill it and have overfill all over the tank. Sportbike filling is very particular. You don’t just shove it end, requires eye balling the whole way.

I also don’t want my groceries delivered to my door. I want to pick my own produce.

This convenience society has no bounds.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I suspect some of the cost of attendants is offset by lower insurance cost, and lower facility maintenance costs. I'm sure customers in self serve do many stupid things that damage facilities that slightly trained attendants don't. I also suspect this is mainly a scheme to throw unions a bone in the guise of public safety.

If self serve gas hasn't been proven successful yet, by it being implemented in 48 states, then commies must be dabbling. Illinois is the perfect state to do this and I wouldn't put it past them, and if successful, several other states might follow. Bureaucrats love shit like this.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
There's talk among democrats in Virginia about doing this. Virginia also is trying to pass a $15/hr minimum wage hike. Since every economist worth his own weigh says that for every 1 person raised from poverty by a minimum wage hike 3 loose their jobs altogether, I have no doubt the intention is to force employment of the people that lost their jobs due to the minimum wage hike.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post