SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Picking out tools
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picking out tools Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by l33571:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
A set of basic files.

Any recommendations for both wood and metal?

For wood, a good basic starter single tool is the Nicholson 4-in-1 rasp/file. Flat on one side, curved on the other.

Nicholson 4-in-1 rasp/file at Home Depot.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My absolute favorite and most used screwdriver:

https://www.amazon.com/Screwdr...=8-2&tag=googhydr-20

Posts: 1714 | Location: CO | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I havent seen a post on this tool.

Home Depot carries a set of 3 blue pry bars They are about 4" long to about 12" long. Perfect little set.
They are great for pulling molding off wall with little damage.

Also get a 6 inch spackle knife for patching.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Razz Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15229 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^^paul, does that come with a 10mm socket?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11279 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
^^^paul, does that come with a 10mm socket?

Yeah, but I lost it...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15229 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:

An old Stillson wrench (or Stillson-pattern wrench, the usual form of pipe wrench) can sometimes be found with a hammer head forged into the body.

But I stand by my Executive Tool Pouch as the most helpful answer Big Grin

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Razz Big Grin

You've got only 1 of the pair. Where is the one with the Crescent Wrench instead of the Ratchet? You lost it, didn't you? HMMMMMM probably with the 10mm socket.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^^ I know that's supposed to be comical, but if it had a spud handle instead of the ratchet, I could see that being useful.

Wait a minute...
Looks like somebody is already thinking along those lines. If I could just find something like this that wasn't Chinese crap.

https://www.amazon.com/Drixet-...d=1606842512&sr=8-25

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Tools to me are like guns--quality matters. I started with Craftsmen tools--because of their lifetime guarantee. As I've grown older==I've come to appreciate quality, well made hand tools.
My 2 go to sites:
https://www.kctoolco.com/

That was me. Started out with cheap garage sale tools, saved every Nickle so kids could go to college. Had way too much money by the time they got in, so I said, screw it, I'm working on myself now and loading up.
https://www.wihatools.com/
I lucked into a complete tool set for the car at https://www.wihatoolsoutlet.com/
I'm not saying go out a drop a small fortune on tools. Buggering up a screw or rounding off a bolt will not instill confidence.

Going on the "one" tool recomendation--the Wiha tool magnetizer.It enables the one hand -replace the screw technique.
https://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-...etizer-demagnetizer/
Good luck on your quest.

I love my Knipex 1000 Volt rated set of hand tools. I bought the Wiha set of 1000 volt rated handtools for my kid (cheaper than the knipex and I wish I'd had them 40 years back)

Now my kid is starting to buy tools for me (he moved out 10 years back and is making more $ than me now). It's really cool. Last month I got a Dewalt cordless screwdriver/impact driver set. The pup thought my drill was too old (2007 model but the batteries are very week as I've built a lot of things with a consumer grade cordless tool since then). Calls me: "Hey dad, I'm replacing that sucky drill you have, check your email for the one I'm getting you and if you have any negative feedback let me know".

About a week later Amazon is tossing a Dewalt package up on the porch.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Look at this wire stripper from NAPA. I have the SnapOn version of this tool, and I also have the NAPA Carlyle version. They are IDENTICAL, except for the blue vs yellow grip. They are made in the same factory, but the NAPA one is $24 vs the SnapOn $58.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Blacktalon nailed it, and lots of other good advice.

Avoid Harbor Freight for a dozen reasons.

Kobalt can be iffy - again, made in China crap. I had an allen set that under hand crank the shaft split clean in half right out of the box.

When there are garage sales again go around and get made in America older tools. They will outlast 3 of the stuff you can buy now. Check Ebay for legit tools. I got an as new made in England Stanley Egg beater drill last month for a very fine price, including shipping.

Maybe post in the classifieds where you are, where you're willing to travel. Likely there are forum members that live nearby that have good tools that they could pare down to you for a very reasonable price, if not karma.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For home: A good hacksaw, not a cheapie. I have a Lennox high tension I’ve been very happy with. Comes in handy for all kinds of things. Keep an assortment of blades on hand.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post