SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Picking out tools
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picking out tools Login/Join 
posted
Howdy,

I happen to be the least handy person I know, and I’d like to be a little more prepared for minor repairs. I don’t have a lot of guidance in that area but a lot of you are pretty darned handy and good with tools. If you were a visiting father-in-law, what would you want to see in:

- garage tool chest
- small toolkit
- tool roll in truck

Assume basic “dad” level of competence and willingness to call plumber, electrician, etc. for serious things; looking for an EMT/paramedic equivalent to fixing common problems in a single story modern home.

(I have a leatherman, WD40, and duct tape so I suppose that’s a start?)

Thanks all!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Hopefully we can all avoid giving you the inventory of our own tools. I propose we all just give one item so we all can contribute.

Eastwing hammer.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Good idea on the "one tool recommendation per post".

A decent 3/8ths drive socket set. Regular and deep, metric and SAE, 1/4 to 1 inch minimum, more is better.

A big box store set (Husky from Home Depot for instance) is adequate.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Linemen's pliers.

God bless America.

Posts: 13493 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
When my nephew moved in on his own,I went ahead and assembled a starter set from Harbor Freight since I get their emails which is loaded with coupons. Got a canvas bag from them and filled it with tape measure, hammer, screwdriver set well you get the idea. Set me back less than 50.00. Since Black Friday sales are going on go the Sears.com or the big box store web sites for the sales.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
You’ll need screwdrivers. Don’t buy the cheapo sets, the tips will be useless after trying to get the first stubborn screws out.
Spend a couple of bucks on the Milwaukee brand or even better Klein make some nice hardened tip screwdrivers.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a decent LED light that runs a long time, that doesn't roll, and has the ability to be clipped to something. There are no shortage of places where you'll run out of hands, and need illumination.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
My wife constantly has me hanging pictures of the family.
So I always I am using my level and a stud finder. Levels come in many sizes but are useful in the home.

Battery powered stud finder’s come with many different features, but I have one that has a laser built-in which broadcasts a laser beam across the wall to make hanging pictures easy.

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I used Allen hex keys and Torx quite a bit.
There are some pretty nice kits out there that cover SAE and metric. You can get them in short elbow style, T handle style, or socket style to use with your ratchet set.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Tools to me are like guns--quality matters. I started with Craftsmen tools--because of their lifetime guarantee. As I've grown older==I've come to appreciate quality, well made hand tools.
My 2 go to sites:
https://www.kctoolco.com/
https://www.wihatools.com/
I lucked into a complete tool set for the car at https://www.wihatoolsoutlet.com/
I'm not saying go out a drop a small fortune on tools. Buggering up a screw or rounding off a bolt will not instill confidence.

Going on the "one" tool recomendation--the Wiha tool magnetizer.It enables the one hand -replace the screw technique.
https://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-...etizer-demagnetizer/
Good luck on your quest.

Posts: 2303 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Visegrip

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
As above Visegrips in Visegrip brand only.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I do like the Wiha brand as well. Happy shopping! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13493 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Multimeter, basic model with volts and ohms.
More than that and it’s beyond the skills of the person you are describing and adds needless cost and complexity.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12’ tape measure.

Silent

Posts: 1025 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Allow me to break the 1 tool recommendation per post rule:

Here' what I carry in my truck:

1/2" drive torque wrench
1/2" drive 18" breaker bar
Deep sockets for lug nuts on truck and the various trailers I tow.
4 differing length 1/2" drive extensions
A 3/8" drive rachet set with metric and standard sockets up to 3/4"
A specialty 32mm socket for the main fuel filter on my truck
A 1/4" drive magnetic screw driver with various Phillips, flat blade, torx, Allen head bits
A tire plug kit
A Viair compressor
A 10mm combination wrench
A 3/4" combination wrench
A tube of grease
10" Knipex flat jaw pliers
A drum brake adjustment tool

I've used every single one of these on the road. In fact, I just installed a hitch on my wife's minivan at the campground we were staying at and needed 0 trips to the hardware store. I can fix my kids' bicycles, blow up the tires, football, basket ball, etc. The Knipex replaced a large Channel Locks for adjusting or replacing wheel bearings on my various trailers.

My reason for breaking the 1 tool rule is to demonstrate the thoughtful selection of tools based likely need. Except for the compressor and the Knipex pliers, none of the tools were expensive. The breaker bar, extensions, and deep sockets were maybe $30 from Harbor Freight. The torque wrench was $35 on sale from an auto parts store with a lifetime warranty. The 3/8" drive socket set was on sale for $10 at the same auto parts store.

Paring it down to the bare minimum:

4-way lugnut wrench
screw driver and bits
Viair compressor
plug kit
combination wrench that fits you battery terminals, likely 10mm

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
When my nephew moved in on his own,I went ahead and assembled a starter set from Harbor Freight since I get their emails which is loaded with coupons. Got a canvas bag from them and filled it with tape measure, hammer, screwdriver set well you get the idea. Set me back less than 50.00. Since Black Friday sales are going on go the Sears.com or the big box store web sites for the sales.

Please don’t do Harbor Freight. Chinese communist crap, and quality is important in tools.

Channellock Pliers are my recommendation. If you save up, this set is fantastic, made in USA, with the exception of the wrench which is made in Spain (down the road from the Bergara rifle factory, actually!):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ch...l-Set-GP-7/306089856

EDIT: Guys, and girls, it’s 2020. Grandpappy’s tools made in the good ol’ USA may have served you well, but the original poster can’t stroll into the hardware store on the town square in 1965... he’s limited to what is available TODAY. For example, Vise-Grips have been made in China since 2011, and there are plans to restart US made locking pliers in Nebraska under the Malco Eagle Grip name, but those are still not out.

I’d recommend the Grip-On locking pliers, made in Spain (again, same region as above - they make good tools there!). Amazon carries them, and compared to a Vise-Grip they are utterly smooth.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecu...best-locking-pliers/

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Start out with a basic set. Here’s a good Black Friday deal. Half off.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobal...wer-Chest/5000183119

Add a set of pliers and screwdrivers and you’re all set.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Truck? Flashlight. 6-in-1 screwdriver. #430 Channellocks.

In my truck I also carry the Torx screwdriver for removing the air filter, in case I have to change a headlamp bulb on the road. Plus the correct socket in a breaker bar for lugs. Raincoat, gloves, folded nylon duffle in case I have to bug out with all contents.

An executive tool pouch would include the top three items plus a 12 ounce straight-claw leather-wrapped-handle Estwing hammer, all in an attractive 12" brass-zippered leather Klein tool bag.

Estwing E12S 12oz Straight Claw Hammer with Leather Grip

Klein Tools #32557 Heavy Duty Multi-Bit Screwdriver/Nut Driver

Channellock 430 10-Inch Tongue and Groove Plier

Klein Tools 5139L Top-Grain Leather Zipper Bag

https://americantoolbox.com/20.../executive-tool-bag/

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the home:

Battery powered drill - my preference is the Milwaukee 18v, but the Milwaukee 12v will also do well in your situation.

Home Depot carries them and often has the best prices. Now, pre-holiday sales are going on, so it is a prime time to find one. Drill, charger and two batteries would be ideal.

Some of the kits come with a drill AND a driver. The driver is an impact driver for screws. If you are going to do any type of construction with drywall screws or their heavier cousins the construction screws, this is a nice to have piece. You can drive and remove screws with the drill alone (I have been doing it for years this way).

You may prefer another brand, go with what you like best. I find Milwaukee to be among the best. Being a “handyman” for many years with a wide variety of jobs, I am very happy with Milwaukee.

Each brand has a proprietary battery that fits only its accessories. I have a flashlight and 4” grinder for mine.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post