SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Replacing T8 bulbs with LEDs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing T8 bulbs with LEDs Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
At Home Depot, I noticed they have 4 foot LED bulbs to replace T18s in existing fixtures. The box states that they work with the ballast. Any experience in the hive?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock or Something
Picture of Marc in FL
posted Hide Post
This is a great upgrade. I replaced all my garage fluorescent fixtures with 4' LED tubes from Costco. Great light output, no flickering or wait, and no heat generation. I didn't have to change anything, they were plug and play. Also, if they fail at any point I can replace them instead of changing the whole fixture.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Most are direct replacement. Just pop them in fixture with working ballast. Ballast must be T8 electronic (instant start).

I've used Phillips brand with success. 1% or less failure rate.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Same as Marc, replaced mine in the garage with Costco LED bulbs made to go in existing fixtures, didn't have to remove the ballast, rewire anything, change end tombstones, just pop them in and they work, much more light, cleaner, come on immediately.

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
At Home Depot, I noticed they have 4 foot LED bulbs to replace T18s in existing fixtures. The box states that they work with the ballast. Any experience in the hive?

So I just replaced my 5 4-foot Fluorescent dual tube fixtures with a 5000K LED fixture from Amazon. Not much more to replace the entire fixture and it doubled the bright light in my garage. I have one 4000K LED and it is noticeably dimmer next to my 5000K fixtures. I bought these LED Fixtures for $159 for 4 fixtures.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Another important consideration with LED's vs fluorescent, LED's send all of their light downwards.
A tube fluorescent bulb sends some directly down and the top half from the reflected light. So even if they are rated to produce the same light, the LED's are brighter.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've used a bunch of the Philips instant fit and have been very happy with them.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
What I'm not getting is that the old electronic ballast that ran the old tubes is still consuming power.

I think I'd rather have tubes that plugged directly into sockets that are fed with 120 volts and eliminate the old ballast.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2406 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yanici:
What I'm not getting is that the old electronic ballast that ran the old tubes is still consuming power.

I think I'd rather have tubes that plugged directly into sockets that are fed with 120 volts and eliminate the old ballast.

There are options to do it that way too. We don't use them for safety reason because most times it's retail space and those lamps are changed with the power on. At home that is not a concern.

Either way ballast driven or self driven lamps will all lose some power to heat, not much. Electronic ballasts are very efficient, unlike magnetic ones that get hot when in use.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I was curious about how the ballast may negatively affect the life of the LED and it looks like from y'alls experience that the answer would be nil.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post