SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can a Divided America Survive?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a Divided America Survive? Login/Join 
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
Hmmph. Lotta words for something we all know the answer to. No, it won't survive much longer, at the present course and speed...

That's downright depressing Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I still believe we can survive as a nation united. The only problem with my vision is that a civil war may be needed.

I am willing to fight again for this country even though it screwed us last time.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The datasets of US voters correlated to many MANY other data sources will now give our enemies a powerful tool to divide and destroy us further.

Posts: 11357 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Wow, PD, your enthusiasm is infectious!

Big win in Georgia. I feel a little better.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
A few thoughts from others more learned than I:

"If you look at great human civilizations, from the Roman Empire to the Soviet Union, you will see that most do not fail simply due to external threats but because of internal weakness, corruption, or a failure to manifest the values and ideals they espouse." - Cory Booker

“The five marks of the Roman decaying culture:

Concern with displaying affluence instead of building wealth;
    Obsession with sex and perversions of sex;
    Art becomes freakish and sensationalistic instead of creative and original;
    Widening disparity between very rich and very poor;
    Increased demand to live off the state.”

- Edward Gibbon

“All empires fall, eventually. But why? It’s not for lack of power. In fact, it seems to be the opposite. Their power lulls them into comfort. They become undisciplined. Those who had to earn power are replaced by those who have known nothing else. Who have no comprehension of the need to rise above base desires.” - Max Barry

Then again, there may be hope. Cullen Murphy noted that "The genius of America may be that it has built "the fall of Rome" into its very makeup: it is very consciously a constant work in progress, designed to accommodate and build on revolutionary change." The challenge we face, in my eyes anyway, is that to change and avoid ruin we must (1) agree, at least somewhat, on the direction in which we are to move, and (2) such change will necessarily involve a change in who holds power and how it is wielded. It's difficult to change a culture when so many people from both major parties are lining their pockets with maintaining the status quo.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
A number of issues come to mind. One, all this "multi-culturalism BS. Anyone else notice the advertisements/instructions that come with stuff we buy?

Most of them have at least 4-5 different languages! You want to come and live here? Fine! Learn the damned language, which is American English!

How many TV channels are in other than American English?

But NO!!! We have to have multiple languages taught in our public schools to accommodate our "new residents". 12-13 years ago my daughter went to her son's high school to verify his claims that his math teacher could not speak English. Turns out the kid was right!!! Chinese woman teacher and her "English" was unintelligible! And that was at the county's so-called flagship high school.

Our gubbermint has been working to destroy our independence for decades, to turn us into yet one more 3rd world shit hole!

Is there an answer? Dunno, but when we have upwards of 40% of the population sucking off the gubbermint tit every month things are in really bad shape.

Add to that the virtual collapse of our education systems, at all levels, and we have major problems. Is it too late to restore our nation? Hope not, but I firmly believe that a divided America cannot survive.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elk Hunter: You want to come and live here? Fine! Learn the damned language, which is American English!/QUOTE]

IMO: Learning a common language to function in daily life was a significant portion of the "heat" that used to be under the melting pot.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
“The five marks of the Roman decaying culture:

Concern with displaying affluence instead of building wealth;
Obsession with sex and perversions of sex;
Art becomes freakish and sensationalistic instead of creative and original;
Widening disparity between very rich and very poor;
Increased demand to live off the state.”

- Edward Gibbon

“All empires fall, eventually. But why? It’s not for lack of power. In fact, it seems to be the opposite. Their power lulls them into comfort. They become undisciplined. Those who had to earn power are replaced by those who have known nothing else. Who have no comprehension of the need to rise above base desires.” - Max Barry

All of the above is true today.

The problem we have: Leftists believe that the Constitution is a flawed document, in that it 'limits' what the Federal Government can do, and does not proclaim what they believe the Federal Government should do!

And what it should do in their view is redistribute wealth, from the producers to the free shit army. Every Leftist policy ever proposed involves wealth redistribution via taxes!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23949 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I just don't understand the mindset that says: I'm fleeing from my country to a "better place" and now that I'm here - I want this place to become like the one I just left.

You left your country because something was badly wrong with it. Don't come here and try to turn the U.S. into Mexico or Whatever Islamic place you used to live in...

I have no problem with keeping a few traditions, but learn the language and accept our laws and traditions as well.

I have a coworker who has lived here for decades and still speaks with a really strong (sometimes not understandable) accent. He does so because he is the only one of his family who speaks english. He speaks english at work and then at home he and all his family members speak farsi/persian (don't know - he's from Iran). So, he's still completely immersed in his native tongue, food, tradition, to the point that 30 years of working in TN hasn't soaked into him at all....
His wife has lived here the whole time and still needs him to go with her to places that will require an interpreter.. She refuses to learn even rudimentary english. OR if she knows it - she's even worse, because she refused to use it.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post