SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American Guns finale. Rich Wyatt convicted.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Guns finale. Rich Wyatt convicted. Login/Join 
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted
http://www.denverpost.com/2017...ard-wyatt-convicted/

By Kirk Mitchell | kmitchell@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: March 10, 2017 at 2:32 pm | UPDATED: March 10, 2017 at 7:58 pm

"A federal jury has convicted a Wheat Ridge gun dealer who became a Discovery Channel reality TV star on 10 felony counts related to conspiracy, fraud and tax evasion.
Richard Wyatt
Richard Wyatt

Richard Wyatt, 53, of Evergreen, was taken into custody immediately following the guilty verdict in Denver U.S. District Court Friday afternoon and awaits sentencing at a later date. Wyatt faces up to 15 years in a federal prison, said Jeff Dorschner, spokesman for acting U.S. Attorney Bob Troyer.

The jury was hung on three charges of illegal importing of weapons.

The jury found Wyatt guilty of failing to report $1.1 million in income to the IRS, conspiracy and dealing firearms without a license.

ATF agents seized 583 guns and ammunition from his Gunsmoke store on March 31, 2015.

Wyatt had entered an agreement with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to relinquish his federal firearms license in 2009.

Even without a gun license he was able to negotiate a lucrative contract with the Discovery Channel that would eventually pay him about $500,000 in 2011 and 2012 to star in “American Guns,” which revolved around activities at his Wheat Ridge shop, Gunsmoke Guns.

Wyatt did 26 episodes of the show with his wife, two children and employees.

According to court records, Wyatt kept his business running by conspiring with the owner of Triggers, a gun store in Castle Rock, to operate Gunsmoke under a straw license.

When Triggers also surrendered its firearms license, Wyatt conspired with other gun dealers to keep his business afloat, records indicate. His customers would buy a gun from him at Gunsmoke and then go to the other stores for criminal background checks and to pick up their weapons.

Two undercover ATF agents wore body cameras while they purchased four guns from Wyatt on three occasions, court records indicate."

****End of article

The guy is a tool. I don't necessarily agree on the gun charges since licensing a right rubs me the wrong way, operating a straw business and
the tax evasion is pretty egregious. He's also a general douchebag.

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
So how many people have been arrested after their reality shows?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
So how many people have been arrested after their reality shows?

Not enough.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
His customers would buy a gun from him at Gunsmoke and then go to the other stores for criminal background checks and to pick up their weapons.

So whose inventory was it? How is that materially different than online dealers that ship to another FFL for the final transfer? The consumer was still passing a background check and having the gun transferred to them from an FFL.

Not defending the guy, he clearly had some issues, it's just the legal aspect that's a little confusing.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
The jury had problems too. From a local perspective, this is the asshat that would add his rollermark to the slide of a pistol brought in for smith work. He has also, on more than one occasion, taken funds for a purchase before a BG check and refused refund on failure. A douche.

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Indictment press release: https://www.justice.gov/usao-c...acy-dealing-firearms

More background: http://www.westword.com/news/a...acy-and-more-7602582

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scratchy:
Indictment press release: https://www.justice.gov/usao-c...acy-dealing-firearms

But man, his women were hot!

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
This makes what? The second gun related business that was featured on the Discovery Channel that's wound up in some sort of criminal trouble. someone at Discovery sure knows how to pick them. I think I've read that some of the "Mountain Men" have issues with the law too.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scratchy:
The jury had problems too. From a local perspective, this is the asshat that would add his rollermark to the slide of a pistol brought in for smith work. He has also, on more than one occasion, taken funds for a purchase before a BG check and refused refund on failure. A douche.

This +1. For folks not from Colorado the history of this guy has always been one of the rules aren't for him.

A little google search will bring up most of his past issues.

His behavior on the show, flashing large amounts of cash for example, was like waving a cape in front of the bull. Oh, and let's not forget the break-in of the store-that raised a few suspicions.

Yeah a real peach.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Would someone please explain to me why we're spending any time whatsoever talking about 'Rich' Wyatt. Someone should be volunteering to console poor Paige. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Yep, I hope his wife and daughter paid cash "up front" for their boob jobs.... repo men would be lining up! Wink

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JordanR
posted Hide Post
That cocky smirk in his mugshot will hopefully be removed in short order once he gets shacked up with bubba in the fed pen.

Some people never realize how good they "had" it.

“We’re going to win so much. You’re going to get tired of winning. You’re going to say, ‘Please, Mr. President, I have a headache. Please, don’t win so much,’” he vowed.

Posts: 564 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
His customers would buy a gun from him at Gunsmoke and then go to the other stores for criminal background checks and to pick up their weapons.

So whose inventory was it? How is that materially different than online dealers that ship to another FFL for the final transfer? The consumer was still passing a background check and having the gun transferred to them from an FFL.

Not defending the guy, he clearly had some issues, it's just the legal aspect that's a little confusing.

I had the same question because I actually went through something similar when I purchased a firearm from a gunshop in Salt Lake City when their dealer license was in a state of limbo. I purchased the firearm from him and then had to go pick it up a few hours later from a pawnshop down the street who had an active license and handled the background check and transfer (although I had a concealed carry permit so there wasn't actually a background check).

That seems to be the same situation here.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bubba is a myth. He'll go to Englewood, where Jarrod of Subway fame now resides.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Paige is FINE.
She has an Instagram and Twitter feed all bikini and yoga pants pictures. At least that is what I have heard.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Bubba is a myth. He'll go to Englewood, where Jarrod of Subway fame now resides.

And don't forget Blago is there too!
It's a mile or so from the Costco I go to.

Surprising, apparently he lives not too far from me (Evergreen, CO), but I've never heard of this guy, or his TV show...but I don't watch much teevee.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
I watched 2 or 3 episodes and deleted the timer on my DVR. Told my wife from the get go that he was no good. I can't stand self grandising arrogant pricks like this guy.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I wonder how it got to this, sad. Frown

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:

I had the same question because I actually went through something similar when I purchased a firearm from a gunshop in Salt Lake City when their dealer license was in a state of limbo. I purchased the firearm from him and then had to go pick it up a few hours later from a pawnshop down the street who had an active license and handled the background check and transfer (although I had a concealed carry permit so there wasn't actually a background check).

That seems to be the same situation here.

I dont understand this either.

As a licensed dealer you are allowed to sell at out of state gun shows. But the gun must be transferred through a dealer in that state.

The only thing I could see that he was guilty of (besides being a d-bag) is selling without a license.

It also really bothered me how he pimped out his daughter for a paycheck.

This is what you get when you play the grey area of the law. The ATF has no sense of humor.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
From a story written in 2015 -

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...uns-reality-tv-show/

Shortly thereafter, agents discovered that while the Wyatts — including wife Renee and kids Kurt and Paige — have long been thought to own Gunsmoke, a certain Victor Rodriguez is actually the man with his name on the paperwork, although Wyatt told investigators he “did not have a hand in day-to-day operations.” Rodriguez subsequently revealed that he’d purchased Gunsmoke from Wyatt in 2005 after Wyatt “went through a serious divorce.” At the time, Rodriguez said the business wasn’t profitable, but once it returned to the black, he’d agreed to sell it back to Wyatt.

Nonetheless, Wyatt’s signature was on sales tax returns for Gunsmoke for most months between January 2008 and October 2011, but not on individual tax returns from the years 2008, 2009 and 2010 — because he didn’t submit any. He did file a 2011 form listing a loss from Gunsmoke of more than $98,000 — and presenting no other sources of income, despite the fact that the Discovery show was on the air at that time. The affidavit adds that “neither Gunsmoke Inc. nor Gunsmoke Guns Inc. has ever filed Federal Income tax returns.”

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post