SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pleasant surprise at Tandy Leather
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pleasant surprise at Tandy Leather Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
I stopped by Tandy Leather this morning to pick up a belt blank and went into sticker shock. Everything I looked at had three prices: retail, gold and elite with quite a difference in price. Retail for the belt blank was $19.99. gold was $16.00 and the elite price was $12.00. I asked the young lady how a person goes about getting the elite price and she told me it was a membership thing. When she told me the yearly membership was $350 I almost fell over. At a 40% discount on everything, you would have to buy over $800 worth of merchandise a year to break even and I usually spend less than a couple hundred a year there.

Then came the surprise. She asked if I was a First Responder or Military. When I said I was retired military she told me the membership was free. Now I don’t have to avoid the place like I usually do since I’ll be paying what I consider a reasonable price for things.

With the membership, you also get $10.00 a month credit at their online library. I was able to download their Percussion pistol pattern pack in PDF format for a whopping $.82.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It's a pleasant surprise to find Tandy still exists.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I knew there was a Radio Shack some where!! Lol

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
It's a pleasant surprise to find Tandy still exists.

I've followed Tandy Leather to three local local locations...each gets smaller Frown..each a shadow of its former self)...I'm glad they are still in the mix (somehow).

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I thought elite was 150.00. I was going to buy a gold membership when she asked if I was a first responder and I said yes. Great to get the membership for free. Kudos to Tandy for doing that.

I just need to start doing the actual leather work instead of thinking and talking about it.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Having nothing better to do Curious, I did a little reading on Tandy. They're doing much stronger than I thought.

quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:

I've followed Tandy Leather to three local local locations...each gets smaller Frown..each a shadow of its former self)...I'm glad they are still in the mix (somehow).

I just couldn't remember seeing a store since I was a teenager in California. Somehow I managed to miss all the stores in Las Vegas, Phoenix and Knoxville, TN, where I have lived or go to often, since then.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If you can find the Tandy item on Amazon (often can), it sells for the Elite price. Go figure.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post