SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man Cave Floor Covering Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man Cave Floor Covering Question Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Got a poorly-done attempt at creating a 4th bedroom in the basement that is to become my man cave. I'm going to gut it down to the two outside walls and the studs of one of the inside walls, rip out the floor, tear down and re-do from scratch the dropped ceiling.

I may have many questions Big Grin

I have one now. Found a good floor covering, I think. It's fairly thick, fairly dense, fairly tough carpeting tiles that interlock. Will require no sub-floor and no adhesive.

I was thinking of trying a checkerboard pattern, but the interlocking "lugs" will create kind of dovetail pattern where the different coloured tiles meet.

The manufacturer was good enough to take a picture for me. I can't make up my mind whether I like this or not:

Sometimes I look at it and think "Yeah, that'd work" and other times not so much.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
Are you a Dallas cowboys fan?

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I think there are a lot of other looks you can enjoy more, and have more water/drink proof, unless that is the look that you're going for. Lots of laminates and different tile appearances that could be more durable and enjoyable.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarandGuy:

LOL! No. I'm not any kind of watching any sports fan Smile (Even less of anything NFL, now.)

quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
I think there are a lot of other looks you can enjoy more, and have more water/drink proof, unless that is the look that you're going for. Lots of laminates and different tile appearances that could be more durable and enjoyable.

I want it to be warm, or at least not stone cold, on my feet, which get cold easily, these days. This stuff is about 5/8" thick and rubber-backed. I don't want to lose height to a sub-floor, as it's marginal already (heating ducts). I don't want anything that requires adhesive because I want to be able to easily take it up if the basement floods. (It's a basement. Ours never has. Doesn't mean it never will.) And I want it to be reasonably tough. This stuff was designed for, amongst other things, portable display floors. High-traffic, heavy stuff moved over it, etc.

This stuff checks all the boxes and, at $2.60/sq. ft., is economical.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ehh. I kind of like it personally.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stain the crete and a few large throw rugs?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I hear you. If you're already having plus/minus doubts on it it could go south over time. If you have access to a Prosource they have some good options.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
What are you doing in your man cave?

If you are working on guns (or other mechanical items) the grey carpet may be difficult to find dropped parts on.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
What are you doing in your man cave?

If you are working on guns (or other mechanical items) the grey carpet may be difficult to find dropped parts on.

There'll be my "electronics desk," where I'll work on electronic-y things and my reloading/cleaning/smithing bench.

I'd thought about that. But I don't want anything light, as I want something that won't easily show dirt. I don't want to end up a cleaning slave to my own man cave, as it were Smile. I've decided I'll have to live with that one down-side.

Thanks for the caution, though. It's a good observation, and no mistake.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
That look would eventually burn the pattern into my retinas and I'd see it superimposed over everything....lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I ain't digging it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Stain the crete and a few large throw rugs?

This is my suggestion. Epoxy the floor, buy some rugs.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did basically the same thing but instead of carpet tiles I used those interlocking garage tiles. I went with a black and titanium checkerboard pattern.

It turned out great and I can pull it up if it ever gets wet to clean the floor underneath. I don't ever go barefoot while in my mancave so the coldness of the plastic tiles has never been an issue.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by GarandGuy:

LOL! No. I'm not any kind of watching any sports fan Smile (Even less of anything NFL, now.)

quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:

I want it to be warm, or at least not stone cold, on my feet, which get cold easily, these days. This stuff is about 5/8" thick and rubber-backed. I don't want to lose height to a sub-floor, as it's marginal already (heating ducts). I don't want anything that requires adhesive because I want to be able to easily take it up if the basement floods. (It's a basement. Ours never has. Doesn't mean it never will.) And I want it to be reasonably tough. This stuff was designed for, amongst other things, portable display floors. High-traffic, heavy stuff moved over it, etc.

This stuff checks all the boxes and, at $2.60/sq. ft., is economical.

There are plenty of snap and click vinyl plank styles that do not need to be glued, are waterproof, and are made for concrete slabs.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll throw a curve ball. Basements scream ceramic tile. Looks great, easy to clean, water proof. Once done, should be good for life.
Cold feet? You live in Michigan (my son is in Clarkston), I'm in VT. Similar weather. Pellet stove in basement.
I put a Harmon in mine. Floors are warm, basement is usually between 70 and 83 degrees. The main floors are warmer which makes the whole house feel warmer.
Cut our fuel bill by 50%.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I put a snap together rubber floor in my gun room in camo pattern. Menards had it.

I also had a basement floor where the old tile came up. Rather than getting the subfloor in smooth level shape to put more tile down we went with a carpet made from 2 liter bottles. 30 bottles used in every sq yd. Said to be stain and water proof. Had it put directly on the floor with no pad in case of water. Love it. Menards about 1.25 sq ft.
carpet
https://www.menards.com/main/f...061803288845&ipos=10

Here's a heck of a deal on interlocking foam tiles at Menards
https://www.menards.com/main/f...891147448751&ipos=76

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not put in a heated tile floor?

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmtgsx
posted Hide Post
My room is in the attic. I needed something to deaden the footfalls a little so I went with black rubber stall mats. Two feet by three feet, about an inch thick. Butted them all against each other. Seams aren't pretty, but it's good enough. About ten years ago, so I don't remember the cost, but it was the cheapest and quietest option. Probably give you a little insulation from the basement floor.

Redeemed!

Posts: 314 | Location: Broken Arrow, OK | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post