SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bluetooth earpiece?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluetooth earpiece? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I recently was issued a iPhone, for work. I end up juggling the phone on my shoulder while talking to transplant centers and madly typing away on the laptop. It's not working very well, for me.

I'm looking for an earpiece to Bluetooth to the iPhone. It doesn't have to be fancy, play music well, or offer noise reduction. I'd prefer one with an over-the-ear hanger as the stuff-in-the-ear-canal-types always seem to fall out at the wrong time.

Do you have one that you like?

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Plantronics has some decent ones.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

This. Their Voyager Legend series is the gold standard right now. I love mine.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Yep. Plantronics Voyager Edge works great for me. Comes with a over the ear soft plastic ear hook thingy. Works well for me when wearing glasses & construction helmet. Reception is great. No weight on the ear. MSRP is $129 brand new, but are selling for a lot lower nowadays depending on where you buy.

https://www.plantronics.com/us...product/voyager-edge

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Plantronics and Motorola make good sets at all sorts of price points from $20-120+. Personally, I go for the lower end models in the $30-40 range because I see them as expendable items that you can easily break/lose.

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I have a Plantronics Voyager Pro+ that I've used for about 7 years, and it's still going strong. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. They may not be the sleekest, but they work.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I use a plantronics m70. It's older but i use every day all day. I hate using the phone without it and listen to streaming media when not on the phone. The battery lasts about 8 hours continual use. About 1 hour to charge. It's about time to upgrade with a new one now

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Plantronics M50 that I've had for years and it is as you describe. I use it when I'm in the field and need to work with one of our electricians or programmers to sort something out where having both hands free to use a meter is needed. Super simple, good battery life and at the time I purchased it, it supported special tech that showed the battery life of the earpiece on my iPhone. That still works but it may not be all that unique anymore.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

-Rob

I’ve been using this for years, wife has one too. Great clarity and very reliable.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Another 'yes' for the Plantronics Voyager 5200. It's the only piece I will use, and the battery lasts for hours of talk time.

Best buy always has them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
So Bluetooth headsets fall into a few self-defined "categories":

* Good for music, high sound quality, usually binaural. Not very good noise rejection - your caller will hear everything going on in the background. Can be over-the-head or corded. I have a pair of Bose SoundSports. OK for phone calls, good for music. I've also had a couple different TaoTronics ones. About the quality you'd expect at the price point. I use this while traveling.

* Good for phone calls. The best I've found is the Blue Parrot, designed for truckers. Monaural, over-the-head design, with a boom mic. Very good noise rejection. Not compact. I have the BlueParrot VXi, very good for phone calls. I use this at "home".

* Compact. Monaural by definition. Tries to do both of the above, but not overly successful.

I'm not sure about the Plantronics ones above. I've had a Plantronics Voyager Edge before, and it was decent. I'd expect the Voyager Legend is good also. The downside is that they use a proprietary charging connector. I've got literally dozens of mini-USB and micro-USB cables around, and the Pantronics isn't compatible with any of them. If it weren't for that, my last set might have been one.

Back in the day, I used to have Jawbone Era. It was compact but had decent noise rejection. But I think they got out of the headset market.

The most frustrating thing about these devices is that you can't really try before you buy. Hence Edmond's approach of buying cheap "disposable".

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm still using a Plantronics ML-20 I picked up back in late 2012. Yeah it still works. Smile Just paired it with my new Huawei Honor 7X phone.

I had tried numerous others including some that were several times as expensive or had weird designs like bone conductivity, etc. But the ML-20 won me over. Only odd thing is the power switch showing red means OFF not ON like you might think. Smile

Were I to replace it the Plantronics Voyager series would be my first choice.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Another 'yes' for the Plantronics Voyager 5200. It's the only piece I will use, and the battery lasts for hours of talk time.

Best buy always has them.

+1 i drive all day and use mine all day

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The Plantronics Voyager Legend looks like the ticket. $59.99 on Amazon, right now.

Thanks for all the input!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I use a Skullcandy mule collar type set now.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Plantronics Voyager Legend looks like the ticket. $59.99 on Amazon, right now.

Good price! They are usually $100

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I am using a Motorola Boom. About 4 years old and still going strong.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

-Rob

+1

I've had Jabra, Jawbone and a few others. I like my latest Plantronics best.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Plantrinics Voyager Legend.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post