SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Outdoors too risky for college outdoor clubs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outdoors too risky for college outdoor clubs Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
From Penn State's point of view, you can sort of understand it. They are afraid they'll get sued by some little darling's parents because the university should have made sure that junior wouldn't be stung by a wasp, or twisted his ankle while on an outing.

Wonder what Joe Paterno would say about this? I guess they have some reason to fear litigation for wrongdoing.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
On one hand, it's silly on Penn State's part. If the club had been in existence since the 1930s, what were the real world statistics and were they used for the "risk assessment?"

On the other hand, do students really need club meetings with parliamentary procedure and elected officers in order to go out in the woods or take trips? Many moons ago when I was a student, I went on one spring break with ski club and had a good time, but on the other spring breaks my friends and I traveled a lot further and had a much better time (we were selective and less inclusive of the the people on the trip).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many moons ago

That is politically incorrect and offensive.LOL You also cannot say too many chiefs and not enough Indians. You need a refresher course.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You need a refresher course.

Not because it will do you any good, but as punishment.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Many moons ago

That is politically incorrect and offensive.LOL You also cannot say too many chiefs and not enough Indians. You need a refresher course.
I guess I will remain politically incorrect and offensive, then. They that object can just learn to handle it.

flashugy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post