SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Outdoors too risky for college outdoor clubs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outdoors too risky for college outdoor clubs Login/Join 
posted
I don’t freakin’ believe it! I’m ashamed that I ever attended a year there. What’s next, ban the Boy Scouts altogether too?

https://apnews.com/79dc2da81c644ef9bb97b844d88be1a5

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Eh,

Hard to get worked up.

If you want to go do those things, you don't need access to a club on campus anymore. You can coordinate all that stuff outside of school, and get away from all of the school rules.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'd like to say "un-freaking-believable" but in this day and age it's all TOO believable.

What a bunch of pantywaists.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15208 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
All those Injuns and critters do make it risky Roll Eyes

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
In early 2000 I was a boy scout leader and put together a campout for the 6 to 8 boys, me and another leader, to camp on my farm. I was called by the state rep and informed I had to have a parent for each boy.
That was crazy that I had to take 12-16 ppl ?
I cancelled it.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
In early 2000 I was a boy scout leader and put together a campout for the 6 to 8 boys, me and another leader, to camp on my farm. I was called by the state rep and informed I had to have a parent for each boy.
I cancelled it.

I recall maybe a rule for Cub Scouts.....but not for Boy Sout....only 2-deep coverage needed

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
I cancelled it.

That's ridiculous. Currently the BSA requires two-deep leadership and at least one leader who has taken 8-hour BALOO training (just finished mine Saturday). I'm curious why your state rep felt the need to call on a campout on your property?

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
well, hey, there's no place to plug in our phone chargers anyway.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Was this for an actual Boy Scout Troop campout, or for a Cub Scout/Webelos activity?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.
Don

Edited to add: Oops, I see others have faster responses than I!

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Something I read about this was interesting. Seems that the club costs for a trip for an individual is roughly 35 bucks a trip or so. And there's some sort of official school sponsored outing organization that charges $200 or more.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was president of the skydiving club at my school for a couple years. They even let us do a couple demo jump days onto the campus. Probably pushed off campus everywhere by now.

Except for the service academies, of course. They had BIG programs. Air Force even had their own Twin Otter I think.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
From Penn State's point of view, you can sort of understand it. They are afraid they'll get sued by some little darling's parents because the university should have made sure that junior wouldn't be stung by a wasp, or twisted his ankle while on an outing.

Which is a whole other kind of wrong.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
While this dismays me greatly, I do understand the decision, if I disagree.

The world we live in (to say nothing of the world Penn State currently operates in, what with numerous scandals of late) is one where a kid was on a school study abroad and was bitten by a tick and later died of a rare encephalitis...and the school was sued claiming they should have known that this rare tick-borne illness was in this one place in China (or Japan, I forget). The school lost.

Having gone to a school trip risk management seminar earlier this year, the world is no longer conducive to doing anything but sitting in an air conditioned room to avoid lawsuits. Frown

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This Risk Assessment crap is about as dangerous as Political Correctness in my view.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

Having gone to a school trip risk management seminar earlier this year, the world is no longer conducive to doing anything but sitting in an air conditioned room to avoid lawsuits. Frown

But, doesn't Legionnaires' Disease travel through air conditioning systems??? (Sorry, I'm not serious in my post, I'm just pointing out another irony in the politically correct world, of which I can no longer handle)...

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Maybe they saw the Blair Witch project, and figured why take a chance.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
In the not too distant future, field trips and camp outs will likely be of the 3-D virtual reality sort. Or perhaps, in the interest of safety, virtual-virtual reality, where you really FEEL like you’re on a virtual reality field trip...

Kind of like this Big Grin
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C6eRqMiAxQ0

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15557 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The woosification of America enters a new phase

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
During my 4 years as an outing club member and officer at my New England liberal arts college we had trips that would make present day risk managers cringe. Of course we didn't have the safety net of cell phones then so we assumed the management of risk ourselves.

There has also been a couple of order of magnitude increase in the number of lawyers since then and they all need nice cars, houses and full plates at dinner.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post