SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ...sigh...if you are the praying type.... (2018 Update on page 7)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

...sigh...if you are the praying type.... (2018 Update on page 7) Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Went through this with both parents a few years ago due to strokes.
My mother was a nurse and had taken care of many stroke patients in her career. She was able to communicate enough to us, and the doctors and nurses, that she had no interest in continuing life extending care. She always said that of all the afflictions, a stroke was the one she feared most because what it does and the lack of quality of life afterwards.
Hopefully you'll realize that you are doing the right thing for everybody. The doctors wouldn't say anything and will appear to be in full lifesaving mode until we had come to the decision ourselves, but that all changed afterward. Once we told them of our parents wishes, it seemed like a huge weight was lifted off their shoulders too because they already knew from experience what's ahead either way.
If I live to an old, age I hope somebody can make clear headed decisions for my best interest too. Extending someone life, without any quality of life, is unfair to them and the outcome will eventually be the same.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry you're going through this. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Damn. Sorry to hear that there are no favorable outcomes in this.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Bump to page 1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
recovering ammoholic
Picture of jaybird86
posted Hide Post
Sorry for this Ronin. You are in my thoughts.

v/r,
J

---------------------------------
How's your cardio?
Nature, alas, made only one being out of you although there was material for a good man and a rogue.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 1014 | Location: Overrun in Northern VA | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
April 2018 Post

Dad died a year ago this week. (Saturday). I was there at this time, sent by my sisters to help my step-mom come to terms with the fact that his stroke left him brain-dead. Today (Wed) was the day the pain-in-the-ass neurologist had her talked into putting him in an extended care home. I hated that cunt.

Tomorrow (Thursday) is the day my step-mom's pastor literally gave the neurologist a 'knife hand' and demanded she stop offering false hope. I found out later that he was a former Baltimore Homicide detective, and left the force when he was 'called' to the faith.

We pulled the vent on Friday. My mission accomplished, I kissed his forehead, told him I loved him, and I flew home. He died in hospice the next morning. I still miss him very much and am afraid that I will eventually forget what his voice sounded like.

The thought of that makes me very sad....

Thank you Sig Forum members for 7 pages of prays and well wishes. Your posts and e-mails meant so much.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Ronin, I wouldn't worry too much about that. My dad had strokes and took 11 years to slowly deteriorate and died (in 1984). I still remember the sound of his voice, and I believe you will continue to remember your dad's, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this.

You will never forget his voice or his impact on your life

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Ugh, sorry man. Frown

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry Ronin. We just went through this with my mom. She lived 1 1/2 years after two series of strokes. Well, lived isn’t really correct. She could talk and eat for a year and a half, that’s all she could do. Pretty sure she had another stroke several weeks ago and all of a sudden couldn’t swallow. She died on the 7th after a couple of weeks palliative merciful care. God bless you and your family. I feel for you.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
That's how I lost my father. We had a meeting and elected to pull his breathing tube 3 days later. It was a Sunday, so I was there as he took his last breaths, holding his hand.

But celebrating and remembering his life goes on.

Posts: 7350 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
My dad died suddenly a little over seven years ago. I was fortunate that he and my mom had come over to have dinner with me and the newly minted Mrs.BurtonRW a couple of nights earlier, so I got to say goodbye although I didn’t know it at the time.

You won’t forget his voice. Hell, you’ll catch yourself sounding like him eventually. You’ll always miss him and he’ll always be a part of you.

You have the joy of knowing you’ll see him again, though, and at the end of the day, that’s all that really matters.

Prayers inbound, brother.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
These are the type of decisions that I hope I never have to make. Praying for strength and the clarity to make the right decision.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deeds Not Words
posted Hide Post
Ronin,

You never forget him (or them) and in an amazing celebration of life and a reflection to how you were raised, you BECOME him...

Navy BMD: When "Aim High" isn't High Enough!

Posts: 62 | Registered: August 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post