SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Upside down cake anyone?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upside down cake anyone? Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Pineapple that is. Crappy weather outside so I got bored and started to go through the pantry to see what we had on hand. Discovered I had all the ingredients to do a pineapple upside down cake. Nice. So I busted out the old 12" Griswold cast iron skillet and got to work. Hardest part is flipping that heavy old piece of cast iron over quickly enough not to make a mess and not drop the damn thing! Here are the results before I cut out a piece for myself while still warm and layed some whip cream on that baby!Worth the effort for sure!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Delicious! One of my favorite treats!

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I haven't had PUDC in ages. That looks really good. Never had it with Pecans though. I'm a klutz in the kitchen so I'll try to talk the wife in making one.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I'm totally in for the karma!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Looks amazing. I didn't ever think to make one in a cast-iron pan. I love cast iron cooking, I just don't bake sweets very often.

I'm now incredibly hungry...and must figure out what to make for dinner...wondering if I can convince the family that pineapple upside down cake is the best dinner option...lol.

Thanks for sharing. Do you have a shareable recipe that you use? I'd love to try yours.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Hardest part is flipping that heavy old piece of cast iron over quickly enough not to make a mess and not drop the damn thing!

Old pastry chef trick for this and anything needed to be unmolded/flipped:

-Take your plate or cake circle or whatever base you intend for this to sit on
-Take a sharp paring knife and run it around the edge to loosen the cake if needed
-Take a propane blowtorch and warm the sides and bottom if cold
-Place your base OVER the top of the cake in the pan
-Hold the plate/base with one hand while holding the bottom of the pan with the other hand
-Quickly FLIP the entire thing
-It should come out right onto your base/plate

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Thanks for sharing. Do you have a shareable recipe that you use? I'd love to try yours.

I followed this recipe. It requires making your own cake batter which wasn't too bad. But I think you can use a box cake mix and make it work as well.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
As spoken by Eyore in Winne the Pooh

Poor little upside down cake

When it comes to troubles

You've gottem

For poor little upside down cake

Your top is on your bottom

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

I followed this recipe. It requires making your own cake batter which wasn't too bad. But I think you can use a box cake mix and make it work as well.
Thank you. Even better, we make most of our things from scratch without mixes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Ate this a lot growing up in the 50s and 60s ... I really can not remember the last time, but has been decades.

Guess I know what I will be making coming up soon. Yummers !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Save a slice or two for me while I drive up. Can be there either laaaate Friday afternoon or mid day Saturday. Let me know and do not string me along................................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm in! IIRC years ago one of the older fellows in a ham radio club had a wife that made a Hawaiian wedding cake that was a variation on your theme. It was delicious too.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
As far as upside down cakes go, my girlfriend at the time (the year after HS graduation) made tomato soup upside down cakes. Now THAT was different. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Oh my!

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Oh my

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
WOW!! YUM!!!

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, that takes me back.

How much to box up that sucker and mail it to me? Big Grin

Probably wouldn't travel too well, though.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
That looks very tasty. Awesome job!

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted Hide Post
Well done! Looks great!

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Oh man! Just like Mama used to make. Lost her in '07 and haven't had any since...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post