SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shooting the Texas Star.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting the Texas Star. Login/Join 
Picture of 808
posted
Had a chance to shoot the Texas Star today.
What a blast. Lots of fun.

I used the shoot the top two plates and then quickly move to the bottom plates.

https://youtu.be/SmqKHGyPI3o

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
That looks like a lot of fun. Pretty challenging.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Looks like a blast to shoot!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
They are fun. Wish they didn't cost so much.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Start at the top and work down. They are fun.

Posts: 4028 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very fun...had one of those on the shotgun portion of a 3 gun match. Hit it in the middle and shook 3 of the 5 plates off!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
The Texas Star is the most challenging and enjoyable target I've ever used in both SASS and ICORE. A great training aid. Would like to have regular access to one.

Thanks for the great video.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The guy shooting it in the demo video was doing it wrong. Start at top and shoot highest targets first to prevent spinning it.

My club has one, but it's locked up between matches, would love to be able to shoot it any time I want.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The Texas star is fun, but also my nemesis. The best I've ever done is to clear it with one single stack magazine. I've seen several methods of shooting it, such as starting with the top two. One of our revolver guys starts on the middle left plate, leaves his gun in place and lets each plate rise into his sights. Not as fast, but effective if you hit each plate in turn. The top shooters I've seen usually have all of the plates gone before the thing is barely moving. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If you shoot it fast enough it doesn't matter where you start.

I used to advise some people at shotgun matches shooting pump shotguns, to start at the bottom and let them come to you.

Either way, if you don't clear it right off, the key is not to chase the plates. My club has two of them and we shoot them often, they're old hat now.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Yep, start at the top and work your way across and down...bery fast be mo betta Big Grin The swinging plate racks will make your head spin. Even tougher to master, is that why it's the Polish plate rack?

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

The Texas star is fun, but also my nemesis. The best I've ever done is to clear it with one single stack magazine. I've seen several methods of shooting it, such as starting with the top two. One of our revolver guys starts on the middle left plate, leaves his gun in place and lets each plate rise into his sights. Not as fast, but effective if you hit each plate in turn. The top shooters I've seen usually have all of the plates gone before the thing is barely moving. Smile

I’m afraid I have to agree

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
It is a lot of fun, but the fact that everyone has to stop and holster up so you can go down range and reset it keeps it from getting as much love as the plate rack or my personal nemesis, the spinner. That one is more of a challenge than the star for me and doesn’t need resetting.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starting at the top is like shooting from the ladies "Tees". In our matches, they make us "man up" by painting two plates a different color and putting them at the two bottom positions, 7 o'clock and 5 o'clock, and make sure the wheel is completely stopped. On the buzzer, you MUST draw and hit either one of the bottom two plates first, before engaging any of the other targets. Sometimes this goes well, other times you can be left with a single plate that goes round-n-round without stopping. We call it a "death spiral" and it has eaten up more rounds than I care to count...but they are fun!

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 810 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
We shoot them often in Cowboy Action shooting.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Shooting it from stationary is easy! Wink
You can set it up with a stick under one of the plates, a heavy weight on the arm of that plate, and a rope from the prop stick to an anchor. Put a pepper-popper so that when you shoot the pepper-popper and it falls, it knocks down the rope which pulls out the support stick and causes the Texas star to spin like an airplane propeller. Now that's a challenge!

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Or the Death Star, where is spins but also pendulums back and forth...

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've shot it sometimes where the stage designer placed a non-threat or two in front of the Star. That is pretty low.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arty:
Shooting it from stationary is easy! Wink
You can set it up with a stick under one of the plates, a heavy weight on the arm of that plate, and a rope from the prop stick to an anchor. Put a pepper-popper so that when you shoot the pepper-popper and it falls, it knocks down the rope which pulls out the support stick and causes the Texas star to spin like an airplane propeller. Now that's a challenge!

It spins pretty freely. I tend to just reset it and give it a good spin before walking back and shooting it. It will spin for a good long time.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I've shot it sometimes where the stage designer placed a non-threat or two in front of the Star. That is pretty low.

Another fun one is a wall in front of it with only the bottom 20-25% visible. Guarantees lots of spinning.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post