SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can you educate me on "repossessing" a car and getting it across the country?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you educate me on "repossessing" a car and getting it across the country? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Can't help but had to compliment you for your thread title. No "learn me" crap! Smile Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16194 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Sis has requested that Daughter pick up those payments, as Daughter is the one who's been driving the car for over two years now (without paying a dime). Daughter has refused, asking, "Why should I pay $300 a month for a car I don't even like?" *

* = vthoky's rude comment: "What's not to like? It's been provided for you for over two years! Are you peeved that nobody's handing you a brand-new BMW or something?

What an ungrateful little bitch.

The asshole side of me would fly out there, slash the tires, smash all the windows just to say fuck you, now you have to pay for a car yourself.

I can make more money but I won't give into the bitchy attitude of some entitled child.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
me and my shipmate "dave" drove to TX from Portsmouth VA one weekend....found his cheating ex-wife and "Dave's" car and "stole" it back.

"Dave" was the name on the registration.

He had a locksmith cut a key, on the spot after showing him the registration...cost him some cash...but hey, bitch wasn't driving his car anymore.

1. don't give advance notice
2. bring cash
3. bring the right papers to prove ownership

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Carmax will buy any car, but will not travel. You must bring the car to them and they generally want all owners on the title must be there to sign it over. In some states they can apply for a duplicate title for the owner. Call their business office at the closest one in CA to find out. Also, go to kbb.com and click on "my cars value" to get an idea of the offer you'll get. Knowing the mileage, equipment, and condition helps.

If the car is paid for, meaning no lien, it should be possible for the owner to apply for a duplicate title and registration at DMV, e.g. replacing a "lost" title in this case, and that voids the prior title. Requirements are different for each state, but obviously ID will be required, and perhaps a power of attorney can b used by the owner's proxy. Go to the CA website and read up on the subject. You generally can't get a title if there is still a lien, unless it' a 2-part title and then you get only the half for the owner.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Can't help but had to compliment you for your thread title. No "learn me" crap! Smile Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU! Big Grin

I'll admit, bald1, I did start to use the phrase "school me," but thought better of it. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
ungrateful

Yes.

quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
slash the tires, smash all the windows just to say

Understood... but Sis would be doing that to her own car. Economically, she'd be better off repossessing it than destroying it. (That's Responsible vthoky speaking; Impulsive vthoky is inclined to agree with you.)

quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Carmax will buy any car, but will not travel. You must bring the car to them and they generally want all owners on the title must be there to sign it over.

That makes sense.

quote:
paid for, meaning no lien

It is, with only Sis' name on the title.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Carmax will buy any car, but will not travel. You must bring the car to them and they generally want all owners on the title must be there to sign it over. In some states they can apply for a duplicate title for the owner. Call their business office at the closest one in CA to find out. Also, go to kbb.com and click on "my cars value" to get an idea of the offer you'll get. Knowing the mileage, equipment, and condition helps.

If the car is paid for, meaning no lien, it should be possible for the owner to apply for a duplicate title and registration at DMV, e.g. replacing a "lost" title in this case, and that voids the prior title. Requirements are different for each state, but obviously ID will be required, and perhaps a power of attorney can b used by the owner's proxy. Go to the CA website and read up on the subject. You generally can't get a title if there is still a lien, unless it' a 2-part title and then you get only the half for the owner.

In FL you can have an electronic title. You have a choice of a paper one or it held electronically. With a lien it's always held electronically. Meaning any dealer in the country or title agency could transfer the title from sisters possession to someone else's. Your sister can go into the DMV in Florida and have a duplicate paper title printed out for $10 right on the spot if the title is held electronically, for a lost paper title the fee is $75 but they can print it at the office. So that aspect is easy.

If the car origionally had a lien, I'm willing to bet it's still held electronically and your sister has to do nothing for a dealer to transfer the electronic title.

Then have a repo/towing place snatch the car. Then either ship it, or sell it. I wouldn't fly out to California to deal with it.

I have a strong feeling the car is either totaled or does not run, given the daughters attitude towards it.

She could probably sign the paperwork at a CarMax in Florida and show ID and everything even if the car is traded in at a CA location.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ummm.... What kind of car is this? What's its actual value?
I realize there is a principal here and you guys are trying to make a point with the kid,
but I might just chalk the whole thing up to experience.
Who knows what the situation actually is in Kalifornia? Maybe the kid has hooked up with or is associating with someone who might shoot you over this. People have damn sure been shot for less!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Unless you want to go get it now at any cost and time, I would just sign it over to her and chalk it up.

If it is in your sis's name and daughter has an accident and she doesn't have insurance - well guess who they look to. Have sis send CA DMV notice she no longer owns it and transferred it to daughter. Tell daughter it is on her at that point.

I sold a pickup truck to a young man when I left CA many decades ago. He got in an accident, had no insurance, and never put it in his name. A POS lawyer contacted me (I was living out of there for over a year at the time) trying to get me to pay damages for the other party. I sent that asshole a copy of my paperwork I had sent into CA DMV when I sold it (relieving me of ownership.)

So go get at any cost or get it out of her name.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote for Sis and her man to fly out there to pick it up. They raised this problem so they can deal with it.
I'd then take it to Carmax and sell it. Use proceeds to fund the trip and if there's any extra I'd extend for a little vacation.
It would be a cold day in hell before the daughter got anything else from me.
Not saying I could never forgive her actions but it's going to require some serious effort on her part. Just freaking ridiculous.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Another case for the “No good deed goes unpunished” file.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like SpinZone’s idea. It would be fun.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Tell Princess to play nice ore the car will be reported stolen.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
I would just sign it over to her and chalk it up.

This is part of the issue. Sis has handed over the title and said, "go put it in your name." Daughter has been simply too stubborn/lazy/self-absorbed to go do it... for several months.

quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Have sis send CA DMV notice she no longer owns it and transferred it to daughter. Tell daughter it is on her at that point.

This is an interesting approach. I believe Sis has some investigating to do. (It does sort of reward Daughter's bad behavior, but it clears Sis of some liability.)

quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
I vote for Sis and her man to fly out there to pick it up. <snip> I'd then take it to Carmax and sell it. Use proceeds to fund the trip and if there's any extra I'd extend for a little vacation.

I like this plan!

quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Tell Princess to play nice ore the car will be reported stolen.

At this point, I believe this has been done. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first thought.
1- pay car off.
2- transfer ownership to daughter.
3- make will out to NRA.
4- win Powerball.

But blood is blood. A lot of parents have issues with their kids from ages 14-15 to mid to end of the 20s. Kids need to grow up.
The door needs to stay open in case things can be patched up.
My niece was so mean to my sister, but grew out of it. They are best friends now, and sis lives for her grandchildren.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1126 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
All I can say is WOW.

What an entitled, spoiled, millennial (insert derogatory descriptor here)

There is no discussion of amends for the last five years of payments.

I doubt I’d go to the extra expense of an in person repo if I couldn’t get a company to do it.

If I were Mom i would likely send a certified letter simply saying “enjoy your Kalifornia titled inheritance. Hope it was worth it” and cut ties.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Your sister can go into the DMV in Florida and have a duplicate paper title printed out for $10 right on the spot
Jimmy, Jimmy -- you're doing it again. Dude, you really need to read the original post before replying.

"Sis" can not "go into the DMV in Florida and have a duplicate paper title printed out for $10 right on the spot."

Why not? Because in the original post, third paragraph, quoted below, it was clearly stated that the car is now registered in California, not in Florida.
quote:
As part of the ordeal, the car had to be titled and licensed in CA, and Sis took care of that. So... at this point, the car bears CA plates and title, in Sis' name, while Daughter has possession of the car (and the title).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go online and see if you can get a "guesstimate" as to what Car Max might pay and if it is enough then sis or someone flies out and sells it then flies back but fr me it would depend on the numbers and what made the most sense financially.

I can tell you that many years ago when my son (step) was going through his "difficult" period my wife, against my advice, co signed a car loan for him and he proceeded to beat the shit out of the car and get fired from numerous jobs. After we made 1 payment he was told to get his shit together, pay us back and start making payments, all of which he ignored so we went and took the car out of his driveway (he was staying at a friends) and then I hid it in a hangar. Once he realized we were serious and he was going to lose his transportation you would be amazed how quickly he paid us back and started paying for the car...Might be spoiled daughter does not take your sis seriously and a firm warning shot across the bow might be all it takes.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
I vote for Sis and her man to fly out there to pick it up. They raised this problem so they can deal with it.
I'd then take it to Carmax and sell it. Use proceeds to fund the trip and if there's any extra I'd extend for a little vacation.
It would be a cold day in hell before the daughter got anything else from me.
Not saying I could never forgive her actions but it's going to require some serious effort on her part. Just freaking ridiculous.

This is exactly what I would do.

Get a key made from one of the companies listed above then fly out there unannounced and get the car. I would have it detailed first before going to Carmax. Then take the money and make a vacation out of it...

Then wait until the frantic text or phone call from little miss comes and savor the experience!!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Your sister can go into the DMV in Florida and have a duplicate paper title printed out for $10 right on the spot
Jimmy, Jimmy -- you're doing it again. Dude, you really need to read the original post before replying.

"Sis" can not "go into the DMV in Florida and have a duplicate paper title printed out for $10 right on the spot."

Why not? Because in the original post, third paragraph, quoted below, it was clearly stated that the car is now registered in California, not in Florida.
quote:
As part of the ordeal, the car had to be titled and licensed in CA, and Sis took care of that. So... at this point, the car bears CA plates and title, in Sis' name, while Daughter has possession of the car (and the title).

I missed that part of the thread for some reason. I read where the daughter took off to CA and never titled it into her name and figured it was still titled in FL in the mom's name where the mom resides. But the mom CANNOT title a vehicle in California unless she is considered a resident, she can register it but not title it. But,thank you for the correction.

But if she somehow illegally did title it in CA. That complicates things, in CA you can apply for a duplicate or PAPERLESS title in person by mail or in person.
California DMV website.
ath:/dmv_content_en/dmv/forms/reg/reg227" target="_blank">https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/...dmv/forms/reg/reg227

I'm not sure how the OP titled the car in California as you need to have a California drivers license or ID according to the California website and you NEED to be a resident of California in order to title a car there which has a lot of hoops to jump through. You can register the car in California and get a California tag if you're a non resident but NOT TITLE THE CAR IN CALIFORNIA.

"In order to be considered a resident of California AND title a car in California you have to be either: employed in California, own a property in California, have a lease on a home/apt in California, have applied for drivers license and voter registration in California, or have dependants in college in California" (which sounds like the OP's sister has NO TIES to CA, aside from the daughter.)

https://www.myimprov.com/traff...egistration-titling/

In order to get a duplicate CA title she would need to show a CA drivers license or ID!
"If you present the application at your local office, you will be required to show your California photo driver license or identification card.
IMPORTANT: If you are applying for a duplicate title only (with no transfer of ownership) and the registered owner's name or address does NOT match DMV's records (except for obvious typographical errors), you must submit your application in person along with proof of ownership (EXAMPLE: registration card), in addition to acceptable photo identification. For information on changing your address, see www.dmv.ca.gov/online/coa/coafaqs.htm."

ath:/dmv_content_en/dmv/forms/reg/reg227" target="_blank">https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/...dmv/forms/reg/reg227

The OP can probably get a title transfer agency in California to apply for a paperless title for a modest fee, without the OP or his sister going to California. Then with a paperless title they could sell the vehicle without going there and do the paperwork electronically. A car dealer should be able to do all of the paperwork without the title as well, they have a title person that handles that kind of stuff all of the time. OP would sign the duplicate paperwork, a power of attorney, a bill of sale and title clerk does all of the rest.

Bottom line, I'm willing to bet that since the car had a loan on it in the beginning in FL where the sister resides, it had an electronic title (all cars with liens get an electronic title, only after the lien is satisfied can you get a paper one, which requires filling out the form or visiting the DMV and paying the $10 for one), almost everyone leaves them an electronic title (there's no reason to have a paper title unless you sell the car private party), and that it's still an electronic title in FL and the SIS simply registered the car in CA and the title resides here in FL electronically. A non-resident can license a car in CA, but not title it in CA.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangemaster:
All I can say is WOW.
What an entitled, spoiled, millennial (insert derogatory descriptor here)
There is no discussion of amends for the last five years of payments.
I doubt I’d go to the extra expense of an in person repo if I couldn’t get a company to do it.
If I were Mom i would likely send a certified letter simply saying “enjoy your Kalifornia titled inheritance. Hope it was worth it” and cut ties.

Yeah... that's pretty much my initial reaction, too. But your kids are .... your kids.
You have to leave the door open.
It may be worth a trip to California to have a sit-down conversation with the kid and try to work things out. If it doesn't work, you can at least demand the title and the keys and leave after the face-to-face. At that point, the choice to sever ties would clearly be on the kid.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post