SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dentist suggested a bite guard to sleep in, suggestions and/or recommendations.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dentist suggested a bite guard to sleep in, suggestions and/or recommendations. Login/Join 
Picture of rangeme101
posted
In the past few months I have had to have a few crowns due to teeth cracking. I'm healthy with no chronic health issues or meds that would be related to teeth issues. Except for fillings as a child I have always had healthy teeth. Never had braces, no one has ever suggest I have braces, get compliments on my teeth from Dentist and normal folks. Dentist says I am showing signs of grinding, excessive bite pressure during sleep. And this is what has caused my otherwise healthy teeth to suddenly have cracks.

One tooth has an old childhood filling that was replaced about 2 yrs ago, a molar and is the most recent victim. The other two next to the lower canines had no fillings or known issues. Due to the two otherwise unaltered and healthy teeth cracking at same time and now this upper molar that had past work on it, she is advising to wear a bite guard at night.

If I go through insurance its a $300 investment out of my pocket. I am looking for a lower cost but effective option. Would love to find a $100 or less option.

Thanks

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Bruxism, level expert. Smile Get the one from your dentist, wear it every night until you chew through it. It's way cheaper than crowns.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I buy mine at Walgreens for $20 or so each. They last 6 months plus or minus.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I tried many over the counter versions, but I couldn't find one that worked so I never wore it habitually. After two cracked teeth, one root canal, two crowns, I got one fit by my dentist. It would have been cheaper to start with the dentist bite guard. I now can't sleep without it.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Crowns, cracked teeth, didn’t get guards when I should have. Finally saw the light. Get them from a Dentist. You’ll be sorry if you don’t.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Another question.

Do these stay in the mouth all night or do they usually end up falling out?

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Stay in. A tight fit. Usually bottom only, at least for me. I got 2 with mine.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I tried many over the counter versions, but I couldn't find one that worked so I never wore it habitually...

I got one fit by my dentist. I now can't sleep without it.

Same. Don't go cheap. The custom one from your dentist is money well spent. Much more comfortable, and more durable.

quote:
Originally posted by rangeme101:
Another question.

Do these stay in the mouth all night or do they usually end up falling out?

Mine stays in all night. It snaps in place over the front six upper teeth.

I've only had it dislodge once, with a particularly violent unexpected open-mouth sneeze that launched it out of my mouth.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also say go with what your dentist will make. Yeah, you'll get to chomp on a gooey paste for a minute or so, but the very durable end product is well worth it.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I started to have pain in my jaw and teeth, towards the back. I was clinching my jaw at night. Dentist suggested a "night guard", which was custom fitted. Goes on your upper teeth. Dental tech mixed up some goop, pressed it to my upper teeth (the mold) and a short time later I came in for the fitting of the guard. Solved my problem. I wear it every night, quickly scrub it with an old toothbrush & a little hand soap, then rinse it well, when I get up in the morning. I sanitize it with one of those effervescent denture tablets every weekend.

Posts: 9039 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was fitted for one a year ago, and should have done it 30 years ago. There is one brand that is average density inside, and harder on the outside. That is the best.

If your teeth have worn down, something happens when the teeth touch or almost touch at night, and the body starts bruxing without let up. It may have to do with position of the TMJ, but I am not sure.

My night guard was made for the upper teeth. Once I used the drugstore version once, on the lower teeth. It caused a gag reflex, which I believe was due to the tongue not having sufficient room.
The professionally made night guard does not cause a gag refex.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I wear an upper made of Lexan. It kind of snaps on, stays put.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
I wear one, I get the Oral-B brand at CVS or Walmart. It's like a lighter version of a football mouth guard. Works great! It probably cost $15 - $20.

You just heat it up and it molds to your teeth and you can always cut it down if its too big.

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replies. Guess I’ll start putting some funds together for the “dentist” version, seems to be the way to go.

Meanwhile I’ll try out an OTC version or two suggested here.

Thanks

posted Hide Post
I have been wearing one for at least 10 years. It was fitted by my dentist. It is over the top teeth. It took awhile to get used to it, but now I don't even notice it. good luck with yours, John

Posts: 271 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: January 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
It will probably bother your front teeth the first few times you wear it. Also, you need to run it under hot water before snapping it in.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Call Sign
RIOT ACT
Picture of Mischa
posted Hide Post
You get what you pay for in this case. I’ve been wearing a nightguard for 30 years to protect my crowns. My dentist made an impression and custom fit it for my teeth. It felt weird to wear for a few nights but you’ll get accustomed to it. Before long you won’t feel comfortable sleeping w/o it. Your dentist should provide you a soaking solution for sanitizing every few days and other care instructions. Good luck.

Posts: 349 | Location: Florida | Registered: April 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
It might sound crazy, but it's cheap. I use a regular mouth guard that you would use for any contact sport. You know...the kind you put in boiling water, then put it in your mouth and mildly suck in until it forms to your teeth. I asked my dentist if this was OK and he said that if I could sleep in it, it's fine. I clean it in Polident about once a month or every other month. Been sleeping like that for YEARS...

Again, they're cheap...$4.99 at Walmart.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Get them from here, it’s the same place your dentist (1) buys the mold kits from and (2) has make the guard for them.

https://www.proteethguard.com/...-for-grinding-teeth/

For about 1/4 the price.

As long as you can (1) follow instructions and (2) hold the mold in your mouth for 60 seconds, you’ll do great.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Similar to what RHINOWSO recommended above, I used
https://sentinelmouthguards.com with good service and results. I actually messed up the first impression kit at home, sent them an email asking to buy another, (since it was clearly my fault) and they sent me a new impression kit for free.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post