SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NY judge awards graffiti artists 6.7 million after building owner removes graffiti
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NY judge awards graffiti artists 6.7 million after building owner removes graffiti Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:Which is a horrifically repugnant notion to anyone sane.

Back around 1677 western law came up with the idea a the Statute of Frauds. Listing those "contracts" that needed to be in writing to be enforceable.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
So the guys that painted my house, now have a claim against me if I repaint my house, or tear it down?Wink

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20 year old pinky swears trump all.

Lets say the building owner gave five "artists" permission 10 years ago. Since that time dozens of "artists" have helped themselves to your building. How do you distinguish who did what art work? Now your saying its a popular tourist spot. Who gave them permission to come on the property even if considered abandoned? Can a building ever be abandoned?

If you implying a contract exists could one imply that a real estate developer who ownes property in a prime location would eventually develop the property.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0...affiti-judgment.html

Ruling that graffiti — a typically transient form of art — was of sufficient stature to be protected by the law,

So, if it's removed the next morning (and only a few people saw it) I assume it's graffiti and not art with significant stature?

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post