SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Early stages of shopping for a mid-size pick-up
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early stages of shopping for a mid-size pick-up Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
When you go to sell a used Tacoma it has the highest resale value out of all of those. If you plan on keeping it until it wears out then resale doesn’t matter.

Amen. Some people just can’t understand that fact.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
if you are considering a Dodge 1500, go ahead and test the Chevy and Ford,

I had a 2018 Dodge 1500 for a rental for a couple days,

it sucked,

cannot remember the variety (trim level) but it was probably midrange on all that,

ride was harsh (I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4 that rides better)
dash was like 5 video games playing all at the same time,

I had no idea you could put that much info in a dashboard,, why??

handling was not good (Tundra,,, 1st gen, much better)

overall not impressed at all,

my brothers 4 yr old F150 is a better truck,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
We are looking to get a 2020 4Runner this summer hopefully. I have a first gen Tundra that is a great rig. Will be keeping it for my truck needs. To be honest I have always had trucks. So am a truck guy. The 4Runner will be the wifes rig for the most part. I have a 16' utility trailer. Anything serious that needs hauled I use the trailer any more. It is lower to the ground and has ramps. Way easier to use for hauling. I mention this as a rig like a 4runner has decent hauling cargo space and can trailer a pretty good load. Make sure a pickup is the way to go. They do not call sport utility rigs that for no reason.
First on my pickup list would be a Tundra. After that probably a GM Silverado or Sierra. Not a Ford guy and really do not like the small rigs. Tacoma is way over priced for what it is.

And no I do not think a Tacoma and 4Runner are basically the same thing.

Good luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
When you go to sell a used Tacoma it has the highest resale value out of all of those. If you plan on keeping it until it wears out then resale doesn’t matter.
As I told my dear father when he decided to buy a Tacoma, you would have to be a complete retard to even consider buying a used one. You can buy new for only slightly higher than buying used, while getting exactly what you want and having the full warranty in effect. For once he actually listened to me and bought a brand new Tacoma which he really likes. Smile

I on the other hand have come to the conclusion that unless someone builds a mid-size truck that actually gives me what I'm looking for, I'm sticking with a 1/2 ton, and that 1/2 ton right now would be a new RAM 1500. Nothing in its segment competes with what the RAM delivers.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve toyed with a newer mid-size but I can’t make myself depart with my 2wd 5.7 Tundra. It’s has the WT package (HD vinyl seats, etc). It’s a basic truck with a good engine and, to me, that defines a truck.

I wish it were still the size of a 1st gen Tundra but with the current drivetrain. But no one is building smaller trucks these days.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Great information thanks everyone. Will be driving test units soon.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish it were still the size of a 1st gen Tundra but with the current drivetrain. But no one is building smaller trucks these days.

Confused This whole thread is about smaller trucks, is it not? Nissan, Ford, GM, Toyota, even Honda make smaller trucks. I just compared a Gen 1 Tundra with a current F150; height, length, width and wheelbase are all withing an inch of each other.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I keep 'em until they start to have problems.
I had two 70's model Nissan's with four cylinder engines that I bought with around 100K miles. Got rid of both at around 280K when minor repairs starting being needed.
My son currently drives a Ranger that first belonged to me. It is approaching 350K miles. Had to rebuild the manual tranny at around 300K. Seems I remember replacing the cooling system and a fuel pump on it.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have a 2018 Tacoma TRD off road I bought new and have about 25k on it so far.
It took a couple thousand miles but after that the adaptive fuel mapping and trans shift points got dialed in to give me a very nice driving pickup. If you base it all on a test drive in a truck with less than a hundred mild you aren't seeing how it will behave one dialed in.
Ive taken it on several trips where I was in the driver's seat for over 6 hours and no complaints on the comfort.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I've been in a Ranger since 1993. I'd love to have another or something similar, but I just don't want to pay for one. They are to damn expensive and for no justifiable reason.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post