SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Early stages of shopping for a mid-size pick-up
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early stages of shopping for a mid-size pick-up Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
Haven't been in the pick-up market for over 10 years. Been reading/watching the Ranger/Taco/Ram1500 4x4 tests.

Getting near time to go actually drive 'em all.

Previous threads have shown there's considerable competition, yet much of the owner comments seem to be driven by "what's wrong" vs "what's right" with the design/execution/cost of the product.

Seeking insightful & pithy direct observations from those who have owned such rigs lately.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Stay away from dark blue tacos. The paint sucks.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big time Toyota fan, traded my 2015 TRD Pro 4Runner for a 2017 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 CCSB. Super happy with it, just hit 67K on it with no issues. Great infotainment, acceleration, handling, etc. THe new Tacoma sucks, you couldn't give me a Ford and Dodge doesn't have anything in the segment.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
If you could give us a little more information we might be able to help you better.
-Where do you live- edit to see you live in Sunny Oregon. Is that in the East?
- What do you want to use it for?
- What other vehicles are in your fleet?

On another note the Ram 1500 is not a mid size truck. It would compete with the F-150 and Chevy/GMC 1500.

Mid size options would include the Toyota Tacoma, Chevy/GMC Colorado, Nissan Frontier, Ford Ranger and my personal favorite Jeep Gladiator

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6312 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
JonDaddy82,

I don’t understand how you can love the 4Runner and hate the Tacoma. They kept the manual, added a sunroof and better interior to the Tacoma. It’s improved quite a bit over my 2011 Tacoma which was already a good truck. To me the Taco and 4Runner feel pretty darn close to each other when you drive them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Only thing that could make me happier with my 2012 Tacoma is increased fuel economy. My Rangers were good trucks but they’re not even remotely related to the current Ranger.

Posts: 13741 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
JonDaddy82,

I don’t understand how you can love the 4Runner and hate the Tacoma. They kept the manual, added a sunroof and better interior to the Tacoma. It’s improved quite a bit over my 2011 Tacoma which was already a good truck. To me the Taco and 4Runner feel pretty darn close to each other when you drive them.

The new 3.5L V6 and 6 speed auto, plus tiny ring gear is trash compared to the tried and true 4.0L/5 speed auto. Zero torque, always hunting for gears, etc. The infotainment is terrible compared to a current GM, and the rear seats in the crew cab are not for adults. The bed is also incredibly shallow vs the GM mid-sized trucks.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I didn't like any of the new offerings in this segment for a long time. Bloated, too many bells and whistles, not really the basic truck I'm looking for. Then Jeep came out with the Gladiator. Based on the proven Wrangler platform, I found out you can get it with vinyl floors, manual windows, locks, and a 6-speed manual. It's got solid front and rear axles, and on top of that, it's tow rated to just under 8,000lbs. It's almost everything I want in a small truck, and nothing I don't.

The deal breaker for me is no front bench seat. I have four kids, so we need 6 seats. I figure I'll keep my Silverado for another 6 years or so (it'll be 25 years old by then!) until my oldest moves out, and then I'll go shopping for a used base model Gladiator Sport...hopefully they're down into my price range by that point.

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
2019 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab, short bed V6 3.8L 308 HP. Purchased new May 2019, driven 8000 miles, fuel MPG 23.8. Very comfortable ride, handles well in traffic as well as the highway at speed (75MPH) No issues so far.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I bought a new truck in October. I had every intention of buying a Tacoma.....until I drove them. Seats suck, ducking to get in and out sucks, powertrain is lacking. Ended up finding a great deal on a Tundra. Otherwise, I would have purchased a Chevy Colorado ZR2. I liked everything about them far more than the Tacoma.

Posts: 1811 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I didn't like any of the new offerings in this segment for a long time. Bloated, too many bells and whistles, not really the basic truck I'm looking for. Then Jeep came out with the Gladiator. Based on the proven Wrangler platform, I found out you can get it with vinyl floors, manual windows, locks, and a 6-speed manual. It's got solid front and rear axles, and on top of that, it's tow rated to just under 8,000lbs. It's almost everything I want in a small truck, and nothing I don't.

The deal breaker for me is no front bench seat. I have four kids, so we need 6 seats. I figure I'll keep my Silverado for another 6 years or so (it'll be 25 years old by then!) until my oldest moves out, and then I'll go shopping for a used base model Gladiator Sport...hopefully they're down into my price range by that point.

The deal breaker for me is they're uglier than hell and the price.

Posts: 1811 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Company I worked for had Colorado 4x4 for fleet vehicles.I had about 850000 miles total on the 4 I had and had almost no repair costs other than normal maintenance costs.The 2012 and 2016 had original brakes at the 225000 mark. Tires (OEM) usually went over 80000 with a near max payload. The company went diesel with the last batch after I got my last one and they have been nothing but trouble.They wished they had stuck with gas.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
I bought a new truck in October. I had every intention of buying a Tacoma.....until I drove them. Seats suck, ducking to get in and out sucks, powertrain is lacking. Ended up finding a great deal on a Tundra. Otherwise, I would have purchased a Chevy Colorado ZR2. I liked everything about them far more than the Tacoma.
Wow I thought this was a pure Toyota fan sight and there are two guys in this thread that didn't like the Taco. With all the praise of them I went to test drive on and hated it myself. Mostly like you I thought the seats were beyond terrible and everything felted cramped compared to the competition. I also felt it wouldn't get out of its own way unless you really jumped on it. I kinda thought it was just me but I guess not.

I understand suggestions but when you are dropping that much coin on a vehicle make sure you go drive everything in the class because they are all quite different and your likes may not line up with someone else's.

Posts: 3911 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 17 taco I got in late 2016. Manual trans. I only wanted a manual so no issues about the auto. I do wish it had more power, even my 13 4Runner feels like it has more power. Once I learned the power and of each gear it hasn’t really been a problem. But I’ll trade reliability for power. No issues with it in 3+ years and just under 30k miles.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Toyota Tacoma, Chevy/GMC Colorado, Nissan Frontier, Ford Ranger and my personal favorite Jeep Gladiator

west side a couple steps from the Pacific Crest Trail.

Have zero Nissan interest. The Gladiator "JT" really is not all that appealing to me, as a JK rider of the last 10 years. Haven't gone to dealer to check out a potential trade. Just reading the engine options, I'm not much titillated.

I may well keep my JK and use the 'new pickup' as a small RV hauler. I favor the Alaskan hard wall style, or one of several other smaller truck campers; don't plan to tow RV trailer around.

Have smallish but nearly weekly hauling chores; large garden & 1+ green acre needs brush control, we haul our own dump stuff, firewood (yes it can be delivered)

The Subaru Legacy is without complaint now at 31000 miles; that'll stay with my Sweet Bride until she wearies of it.

I've had pickups most of the last 50 years and even with my fleet of utility trailers it's preferable to run a pick up.

re: "infortainment" is not a deal maker, I'm barely out of my Luddite phase, and don't care whether there's a radio or not. Some mfg is offering a "work trunk" of sheer basics that is appealing. I like the Taco 'Access cab'. Diesel is NOT wanted.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
Toyota Tacoma, Chevy/GMC Colorado, Nissan Frontier, Ford Ranger and my personal favorite Jeep Gladiator

west side a couple steps from the Pacific Crest Trail.

Have zero Nissan interest. The Gladiator "JT" really is not all that appealing to me, as a JK rider of the last 10 years. Haven't gone to dealer to check out a potential trade. Just reading the engine options, I'm not much titillated.

I may well keep my JK and use the 'new pickup' as a small RV hauler. I favor the Alaskan hard wall style, or one of several other smaller truck campers; don't plan to tow RV trailer around.

Have smallish but nearly weekly hauling chores; large garden & 1+ green acre needs brush control, we haul our own dump stuff, firewood (yes it can be delivered)

The Subaru Legacy is without complaint now at 31000 miles; that'll stay with my Sweet Bride until she wearies of it.

I've had pickups most of the last 50 years and even with my fleet of utility trailers it's preferable to run a pick up.

re: "infortainment" is not a deal maker, I'm barely out of my Luddite phase, and don't care whether there's a radio or not. Some mfg is offering a "work trunk" of sheer basics that is appealing. I like the Taco 'Access cab'. Diesel is NOT wanted.

If you’re looking at an Alaskan truck camper or similar than you’ll be in fulls size truck land. I have a friend with an Alaskan truck camper on his F-250.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6312 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I am just transitioning out of my 2005 Nissan Frontier after 14 years. Can't complain about it, but it was not trouble free.My wife loves its utilitarian small size.

She has a nice Lexus LS460, and we have an Acura MDX, plus the Nissan, been trying to get to just two vehicles that both are distance travel worthy, but "need" a truck.

Not interested in Nissan, or Toyota. Thought, OK, bag that original plan, I'll just trade the Frontier , buy a Ridgeline and keep the other two vehicles..until I sat down it it. That damned dead pedal under the left foot keeps you from being able to straighten out your leg, not to mention that emergency brake pedal right above it digging into you shin. PASS!

Drove a Ranger and it is really head and shoulders above the Nissan nice, but not much storage room. Drove a Chevy full size and F150. Ended up buying the F150, with plans to sell the Acura, and now the wife has declared, "I'm not driving it"!

Hope she doesn't think I am hauling her ass out to the damned nursery every time she wants a flat of Pansies.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The smallest of the Alaskan Truck Campers on their website weighs 1350 pounds and isn't going to fit in any mid-sized truck's bed. The weight puts is squarely in a 250/2500.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
When you go to sell a used Tacoma it has the highest resale value out of all of those. If you plan on keeping it until it wears out then resale doesn’t matter.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post