SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    IT guys, advise needed: Server purchase.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IT guys, advise needed: Server purchase. Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
My company is about to finally buy a couple of servers. I decided an HP Proliant DL360 Gen 9 is better than the DL180 that most sellers are pushing in the local market.
Following a previous thread, I opted for asking for servers populated with 32GB RAM and the providers are resisting my order and trying to force me to buy an additional 16GB RAM kit to add to the 16GB that originally come with each server.

Is it normal that I be forced to buy the factory provided 16GB RAM or is a valid option to request they replace them with 32GB kit?

If no alternative, would you buy the servers with 16GB RAM as per factory specs and find an alternative source for a 32GB RAM kit and then put it on one server and regroup the 2x16GB RAM original kits in one server?

Usually all flavors are vanilla in the local market (Argentina), parts are awfully expensive and take 45 days to be delivered.
Last time I asked the SF community I ended up buying the RAM from a link member smschultz provided me and saving a lot of money. The RAM I had to remove from my original server lies unused and forgotten somewhere. Do not want to buy memory I will waste in the future if it has to be replaced instead of expanded.

Thanks,

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I would buy whatever keeps your warranty intact and valid with the MFG.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
As long as they are selling you 16GB more of HP ram, and it matches what's already in there - there's nothing wrong with that. They may not have a lot of options for the server model numbers they have for sale. I often buy a Proliant server, rip out the ram that came with it and replace it with 4 HP dimms on each CPU of a different size. Sometimes I can use the ram that came in it, sometimes I can't. Just depends on the different pre-configured models they have available. Buying it completely a la carte can take a lot longer to get the hardware in.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it normal that I be forced to buy the factory provided 16GB RAM or is a valid option to request they replace them with 32GB kit?

Sometimes that is the way the SKU comes.
I recently bought a Lenovo server for a client and it only came with 8gb single stick.
I ended up buying two 16gb sticks and left the 8gb out.
I will end up using it on a future build t some point.
It also depends on how the motherboard is populated ~ sometimes you have to remove smaller modules to fit in larger ones.
Yes, sometimes you end up with extra ~ just the way it goes.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
That settles it. Thank you guys.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post