SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    California to become first state eliminating bail for suspects awaiting trial
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California to become first state eliminating bail for suspects awaiting trial Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4ftty4:
We are so screwed.

Recent bills that have passed the Assembly and awaiting Brown's signature:

- legislation to ensure mail in ballots with questionable signatures to count towards the election.

- legislation to allow San Francisco to create "safe injection sites" designed where people can inject illegal drugs under medical supervision.

And more bills will keep coming...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ridgeway:
Don't know about this system but KY has a unique system where it also doesn't allow bondsman but instead defendants (usually) only have to post 10% of the bond with the Court (instead of the bondsman). Takes out the middleman I guess.

Max Cherry: So you need a ten thousand dollar bond. What do you have for collateral?
Ordell Robbie: Gonna have to use cash.
Max Cherry: You have it with you?
Ordell Robbie: Got it right here in my Raptor bag.
Max Cherry: You have cash. What do you need me for?
Ordell Robbie: Come on, man, you know how they do. Black man shows up with ten thousand in cash, the first thing they want to know is where I got it. Then they're gonna want to keep a big chunk of it, start talking that court cost shit. Fuck that noise, Jack. I go through you.
Max Cherry: It'll cost you a thousand for the bond.
Ordell Robbie: I can do that.
Max Cherry: Who's it for, a relative?
Ordell Robbie: Fellow named Beaumont. He got arrested for drunk driving, they wrote it up as possession of a concealed weapon. Dumb monkey-ass had a pistol on him.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
There should be no profit motives associated with law enforcement and criminal justice.

No private prison/jails, no lucrative contracts, no profitable diversion programs, no civil forfeiture, no petty fines and the like, nothing of the sort.

The last time I was at a traffic court, helping a friend of mine, the vast majority of it just reeked of a vile and perverted excuse to tax and take from people. It was an assembly line, and there were at least a dozen young ADAs making deals and the central theme was how to run more people through faster and cha-ching those cash registers. It was disgusting.

And anything that helps undo this aspect of our system is a very good thing, because what we have now is absolutely broken, and is rarely about truth, justice, or the American way.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First you get rid of bail, then incarceration, and finally you don’t arrest people. The Alameda County (Berkeley, Oakland, etc) might as well have a revolving door. Her primary opponent ran on a platform of not prosecuting any misdemeanors.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
There should be no profit motives associated with law enforcement and criminal justice.

No private prison/jails, no lucrative contracts, no profitable diversion programs, no civil forfeiture, no petty fines and the like, nothing of the sort.

The last time I was at a traffic court, helping a friend of mine, the vast majority of it just reeked of a vile and perverted excuse to tax and take from people. It was an assembly line, and there were at least a dozen young ADAs making deals and the central theme was how to run more people through faster and cha-ching those cash registers. It was disgusting.

And anything that helps undo this aspect of our system is a very good thing, because what we have now is absolutely broken, and is rarely about truth, justice, or the American way.

And how many of those people were guilty and willing to take a plea deal that would save them money and your tax dollars for not having a trial? Just sayin’ from someone who spent more than his share of time in justice court.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post