SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    California to become first state eliminating bail for suspects awaiting trial
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California to become first state eliminating bail for suspects awaiting trial Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
I don't blame the Bail/Bondsmen for being a little upset over this.

Suspects awaiting trial in California will now have their bail eliminated, according to a bill signed by Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown on Tuesday.

In lieu of bail, suspects will be gauged under a risk-assessment system, although the details of the program, which will take effect in October 2019, were not immediately clear.

Suspects looking at serious, violent felonies won’t be eligible for release prior to trial but the majority of suspects arrested for nonviolent misdemeanors will be let go within 12 hours of being booked, according to the legislation.

The bill gives officials 24 hours to determine whether other suspects should be released before trial. That time can be extended by 12 hours if necessary.

“Today, California reforms its bail system so that rich and poor alike are treated fairly,” Brown said in a statement, according to The Sacramento Bee.

Brown's signature gives the state's Judicial Council, the policy-making body for California's courts, broad authority to reshape pretrial detention policies.

Each county will use the council's framework as a basis to set its own procedures for deciding whom to release before trial, potentially creating a patchwork system based on where a suspect lives.

Senate Bill 10, the formal title of the legislation, was approved by the legislature earlier this month, according to The Sacramento Bee, but faced significant opposition from the bail industry prior to Brown's signing on Tuesday.

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...-awaiting-trial.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in the Risk assessment tool. The only people who have some skill in this department are human beings who have worked in the field a long time. Older Judges are often pretty good at determining things like this. Having said that some stupid checklist will be used.

I predict it will fail.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More liberal bunk driven by the people who live in gated communities.

Scouts Out

Posts: 1118 | Registered: May 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm curious what these serious offenses that will be no bail are. There are some constitutional questions there. I guess we'll get to see what happens to their failure to appear rates.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They just started something similar here, all I know is from this article:

https://qctimes.com/news/local...2c-3e3abcebde54.html

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Bail reform, prison reform, leniency in sentencing reform. I just don't get this bizarre need to avoid removing criminals from society. It's like a liberal fetish.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Already happening in NJ and people would be shocked to see what criminals are being released after an arrest.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know about this system but KY has a unique system where it also doesn't allow bondsman but instead defendants (usually) only have to post 10% of the bond with the Court (instead of the bondsman). Takes out the middleman I guess.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The only validity of the “bond schedule” approach to setting bail bonds based on the seriousness of the crime for which someone is arrested is its simplicity. The purpose of a bond, whether it’s in connection with a criminal case or appointment to a government office (as was common at one time) or another reason, is supposed to be to ensure that someone complies with a legal obligation. In criminal cases, it’s supposed to ensure that the accused appears in court at the designated time—and that’s all. It’s not supposed to act as additional punishment before they’re convicted of the crime.

What was the genuine likelihood that any of the Baltimore police officers charged in the Freddy Gray case were going to skip the country and not go to court? And yet they were hit with huge bonds for political reasons that required them to spend large amounts of nonrefundable money to say out of jail.

Yes, we all know that most people who are arrested for offenses serious enough to require them to go to court are guilty of something, and many of them are indeed flight (or no-show) risks. If the rule of law and the principle of “not guilty until proved guilty” is to have any meaning, however, then bonds in criminal cases should be set based on a realistic assessment of that risk, not, “Okay, you’ve been arrested on a Class 4 felony, so your bond is X.” And part of that assessment should include what a certain amount of money means to the individual. I could post most bonds with cash I have lying around and losing it wouldn’t deter me for a minute if I decided to skip court.

There are many reasons why people lose respect for our criminal “justice” system, and the common bond system is one.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
This will also shorten the time that ICE has to apprehend the illegals.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Figures

You can't make a mockery of a mockery. It's beyond ridiculous. California's slide is continuous and irrevocable.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Bail bonds companies will be out of business soon after. A whole industry wiped out.

If I recall, this was created because too many poor black people are in jail in CA, and that's not fair. CA has passed so many pro-criminal bills that perps now know CA is ripe for the pickin'. The sheer stupidity of CA does not surprise me anymore.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are so screwed.

Posts: 311 | Location: California | Registered: September 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I would think, somewhere, somehow, eliminating bail would run afoul of the Constitution?

The Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution states:

quote:
“Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.”

If I no longer have the ability to post bail because of whatever reason, wouldn't run contrary to the 8th?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Not if they're being released. Note the work excessive in there. I don't think zero would be considered excessive.

And somewhere back the SCOTUS decided that actively dangerous defendants can be held without bail.

When it becomes apparent that the majority of defendants don't bother showing up for trial, and that there is a rash of crimes by pretrial defendants out on recognizance, there will be pressure to go back to the bail system.

quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I would think, somewhere, somehow, eliminating bail would run afoul of the Constitution?

quote:
“Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.”

If I no longer have the ability to post bail because of whatever reason, wouldn't run contrary to the 8th?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What could go wrong? Roll Eyes

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you don't have people skipping bail what will the Dog do for employment, how many jobs will be lost in the Bail Recovery Agent clothing wear companies.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I was considering the opposite: a DUI person who has one or two on his record and gets arrested for another after causing an accident; release or hold until trial?

But then again, what if you plan to dispute a vehicle ticket. Do you pay the "fine" (which is a bail if you choose to fight it)?

quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Not if they're being released. Note the work excessive in there. I don't think zero would be considered excessive.

And somewhere back the SCOTUS decided that actively dangerous defendants can be held without bail.

When it becomes apparent that the majority of defendants don't bother showing up for trial, and that there is a rash of crimes by pretrial defendants out on recognizance, there will be pressure to go back to the bail system.

quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

quote:

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Make the release point Gov. Brown's property, at 1 AM.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post