SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    At what point are you cold?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At what point are you cold? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
We have two seasons in the Yoop: Winter and August.
I am comfy in a long sleeve shirt and my favorite go to jacket, the Duluth Shoreman, to around 25 degrees. Below that, I bust out my long johns and heavier gear. I can stay out all day in temps of 10 degrees with the proper gear. And everything I wear turns back the wind. Indoors, I am comfy at 70. I sleep cold and keep my bedroom at 68.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I used to love cold weather, although I did dress accordingly. However, since being medicated to the extreme for my hypertension, even wrapping up , I get cold. I even hate to wash my hands in cold water . I don't like sleeping in warm bedrooms...68°, thank you.

Guess I am like my Siberians. They love clear 10°-20° days, and hate 30°-40° cloudy rainy wet days.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
In my younger days, the cold didn't bother me. I played golf once when it was seven degrees outside. Now, since I'm over 50, the cold really bothers me. I wear a heavy coat at 45 degrees. I've even been known to wear long underwear in the summer because they keep our office so cold (65).

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I am sitting in my house in shorts and a t-shirt right now, it is 68 degrees in the house and I'm a bit chilly.

This damn Phoenix winter weather. Smile

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I like it cool. By cool I mean house interior in 65ish range, and love days outside that are 50ish. With sun and or activity, a little cooler is nice. No sun, add wind or rain, it can get uncomfortable around 45.

Not much of that around Memphis, though. I enjoy it while we have it.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I think I'm part polar bear or something. It was 45 degrees and i was on the back porch reading a book in a t shirt and lounge pants. My wife is inside with a heating blanket on freaking out but I was quite comfortable.

Now I am a big boy and have ample "insulation" but I just don't feel cold until it's under 30 or so. My family says there is something wrong with me but I just don't feel it, in fact 40 - 50 with a nice breeze I could nap nicely and feel relaxed

You're originally from Michigan, right ?

Jus' sayin' Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Unless it’s windy, maybe 30 or so if just walking the dog.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
For me, the older I get, I notice the cold has much more of an effect on me. You should see the gloves I have to wear now compared to what I was fine with 10 years ago. Frown

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
When I was younger, I was good in short sleeves down to about 40°F if there were no wind or rain. Now that I'm getting old (80 in 2 days) I'm not that resilient any more. I keep my home at 70°F all year long, but I find 65°F comfortable if I'm moving around outside.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Depends on what I'm doing. I can take cold better than my wife. I think it has to do with the circulatory system. Having been an athlete for the first 2/3 of my life, I still have a resting heart rate in the 50's. At my age, that's pretty decent.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I think I'm part polar bear or something. It was 45 degrees and i was on the back porch reading a book in a t shirt and lounge pants. My wife is inside with a heating blanket on freaking out but I was quite comfortable.

Now I am a big boy and have ample "insulation" but I just don't feel cold until it's under 30 or so. My family says there is something wrong with me but I just don't feel it, in fact 40 - 50 with a nice breeze I could nap nicely and feel relaxed

You're originally from Michigan, right ?

Jus' sayin' Wink

lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Last few years have noticed if below 34 degrees pulling out of driveway my range time will not be as enjoyable

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Too many factors contributing to “cold” to give a simple answer.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
19 years as a journeyman meat cutter/ meat dept manager,

coolers run 28 or lower, cutting rooms often around 40, or lower,

I used to work in a polo shirt, and slacks,
while the guy cutting meat for me was wearing the company polo, long sleeve shirt under it, jacket, meat coat and shivering while working,

keep in mind, there was no wind, and relatively humid,

I can handle the cold outside, and will break out in a sweat on relatively cold days if I am working, but I cannot take the wind,
that stuff cuts right thru me

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Since losing a bunch of weight I'm always cold.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My record is 22 degrees. Mix of rain and snow, slight breeze, 64th floor, bedroom balcony, mid-town Manhattan, socks only and smoking a cigarette for about 5 minutes. After 10 minutes or so, it was time to go back in.

That was about 20 years ago. I hardly think it's happening again. Enough memories of watching the place where King Kong died.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
Depends on the time of year. Last week it was 18degrees here over night with a windchill of 7. Today it's supposed to hit 57. At 45 today in the sun I was walking around in a t shirt very comfortably. But I couldn't have done that in late september. I'd have needed a jacket then.

There's definitely an element of this for me, too. Aside from sun, humidity, wind, your temporary activity level, etc, it also depends on what your body has gotten used to. You notice this a lot if you live someplace that has strong seasonal variations, or if you travel.

The other day it was in the 30's but sunny, and I was comfortable in long pants but just a short sleeve shirt with a windbreaker (not even my heavier coat) over it. I was so comfortable I left the windbreaker unzipped, because it was "warm".

Two or three months previously, if it had been 20 degrees warmer (still sunny) wearing the exact same clothes I would have wanted to zip up the windbreaker because it was "chilly".

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Iowa as a kid it was so cold we opened the refrigerator door to get warm. Frown

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I spent several years in San Francisco. The wind and humidity makes it feel cold.

I have been in -35 degrees at high altitude in the Rocky Mountains with single digit humidity and it didn't feel too cold. The snow wouldn't stick together to make a snowball.

I spent some time in the Goose Creek Navy north of Charleston, South Carolina. It got down in the 20s with the wind coming off the swamps. My Navy peacoat did nothing to keep me warm. That is the coldest I have felt.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I can eat raw meat and i am good down to single digits and I tend to literally growl when upset. Folks are convinced I am a reincarnated Polar Bear.

Wind, as has been said, will whip right through ya though.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post