SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    At what point are you cold?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At what point are you cold? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I think I'm part polar bear or something. It was 45 degrees and i was on the back porch reading a book in a t shirt and lounge pants. My wife is inside with a heating blanket on freaking out but I was quite comfortable.

Now I am a big boy and have ample "insulation" but I just don't feel cold until it's under 30 or so. My family says there is something wrong with me but I just don't feel it, in fact 40 - 50 with a nice breeze I could nap nicely and feel relaxed

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
About 5 mins before I start shivering

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Depends upon my level of activity. If I'm inactive I need at least 70°F. Maybe more. If I'm at all active I'm good down to as low as 55° or so, I guess. If I'm really active, well, I've been known to be out shovelling snow in ±25°F weather with just a down vest to keep my core temperature up.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Depends on where I'm at. It can be 42 and raining, it'll chill you to the bone. I can be up skiing and it'll be 25 and dry, I'm happy. When I was in Florida, I got caught in a rain shower and then went into building with strong air conditioning. The shower couldn't get hot enough to warm me up. It felt like the a/c was trying to take my soul!

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Living in the SF Bay Area, our 55F is colder than other places 55F due to humidity.

I tend to layer when it's under 60F.

Friends from Minnesota visited years back, it was 55F and they thought it was shirt sleeve weather, wanted to ride the Cable Cars. I told them to layer, they didn't want to.

They thanked me later for the extra sweaters I insisted they take. Still got chilled to the bone, but it would have been cruel to let them not take extra layers.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
“The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.” — Mark Twain, but some say he didn’t say this.

I believed it for years and still do. I did Navy bootcamp at Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay in the summer of 1963, and the only time I took off my peacoat was to shower.

The reason Candlestick Park was always so cold and miserable was because of all the giant fans.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like it much below 60 if just sitting around. On the other hand, if I'm up and moving, I can take some pretty extreme cold. I rarely even wear gloves in the winter, even when it's below zero.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
65 inside surfing the web. This weekend I was sweating at the IDPA match and it was 55 degrees.

Hot nature I guess.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason Candlestick Park was always so cold and miserable was because of all the giant fans.

You're on a roll today!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some have said that they really really suck!

Posts: 6452 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
My hands stay cold, even during the summer unless it's above 80. Otherwise, and other parts, I don't get cold until temps reach 40's. Unless a tremendous wind chill, I'll wear shorts and sweat shirts year round.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Depends on the humidity for me. With low humidity, the temp can be in the teens and I can work outside in a T-shirt.

High humidity is another story entirely. For the past week or two here it's been in the high 20s with humdities in the high 90s and it has been bone chilling cold...the kind that goes right through you. I've had to break out the winter wear, long johns, and wool pants.

Indoors in the winter I like to keep it in the mid-70s.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Quickly, if it's humid.

February in Colorado is fine. January in the South is not.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Depends. The other night was below 10 degrees and the rookie asked me where my coat was. I told him if it’s not actively snowing or below zero, I don’t bother with a coat. My body armor retains enough heat to keep me warm.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Depends on the time of year. Last week it was 18degrees here over night with a windchill of 7. Today it's supposed to hit 57. At 45 today in the sun I was walking around in a t shirt very comfortably. But I couldn't have done that in late september. I'd have needed a jacket then.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
32 or less I tend to get cold and reach for something with long sleeves. If windy, the threshold temprises.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda like you, OP. I remember running out to the driveway to greet some of our family friends who drove the six hours north from Buffalo to come see us for New Years when I was in high school. It was twenty below and I was in gymn shorts and a t-shirt, barefoot in the snow. I was fine, I knew I was going right back in, but you'd think I walked out there naked and soaking wet from the way they reacted. I got sternly lectured about how fast flesh freezes at that temperature. Smile

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Depends upon my level of activity. If I'm inactive I need at least 70°F. Maybe more. If I'm at all active I'm good down to as low as 55° or so, I guess. If I'm really active, well, I've been known to be out shovelling snow in ±25°F weather with just a down vest to keep my core temperature up.

I'm right there with you. If I'm sitting around for a couple hours in shorts and a t-shirt, 70 degrees starts to feel cool.

On the other hand, I went snowshoeing once in knee-to-thigh-deep powder when it was about 15 degrees out. After a half hour I was down to light softshell pants a t-shirt and I was still sweating. That was some of the most strenuous exercise I have ever done, though.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends where I am....

In Pennsylvania where I lived, with some humidity, 60 degrees for me was comfortable.

In the Arizona desert at night with little or no humidity, 60 degrees is when I'm freezing.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Depends on the wind for me.

If it's calm and the sun is out, I can work out doors in a long sleeve flannel shirt down to about 20° as long as I stay active.

OTOH, I've said "Fut dis" and gone indoors when it was 40° out cuz it was cloudy and windy and I was COLD!

I freakin' hate the wind. That was the most miserable part of the 16 months I spent in Iceland. Damn wind blows 24/7/365 and 40 MPH is a gentle zephyr.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post