SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New mini bike. 217cc for $800 ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New mini bike. 217cc for $800 ??? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I was in a farm and ranch store yesterday and they had one. Looked sweet but I am such a sucker. Had the wide, wide tires on it. Low to the ground. Seat height was about 24" I would say. Had a hefty sprocket and chain set up. So for just putting around the place how would it do for a man?

I am guessing it was one gear. Tops maybe 20-25mph.
I realize it is a kid bike. But looked like it was built pretty sturdy?

I dunno, what you think, crazy idea???

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Those little mini bikes were popular around here for about a hot second. Kids would ride around on them, and adults would go by doing wheelies and stuff.

I think you'd have more fun and utility out of a small scooter like a Honda Ruckus or whatever. having your head at bumper height isn't any fun, and you can only drive back and forth on private property or around a cul de sac so many times before you get bored.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a video editor who worked for me and was going through some kind of weird mid life thing so he started liquidating everything he owned.

He asked me if i wanted to buy 2 Manco mini bikes and although I really didn't need them he told me I could have them both for $100.00 as they needed some work.

Took them home, cleaned and rebuilt carbs, one needed a chain and those things were a blast for many years...I think I told them for close to $300.00

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
You don't necessarily need a lot of engine to go a decent speed.

I have an early-70s Honda trail bike with a 90 cc engine, it'll go 50 mph and it's pretty zippy up to 30 or 35.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
parts . parts . parts .

Run away if parts aren't widely available for bike and engine.

My daughter got burnt on a couple.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
A lot of crap is coming from China these days. I'd make sure that it wasn't one of those. Parts would be a nightmare to get.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see scooters made in China just abandoned in Apartment parking lots....because owners can't get necessary parts to get or make repairs. Registration tags are removed and scooter sits.....

Until some enterprising fellow comes by and collects them and trucks them off to Mexico.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

I have an early-70s Honda trail bike with a 90 cc engine, it'll go 50 mph and it's pretty zippy up to 30 or 35.

I've got a '71 Trail 90 and it's a hoot to ride. It'll climb trees in low gear. I've even got the obligatory milk crate on the back. Big Grin

I haven't had it up much over 50, but it'll get there easily.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

I've got a '71 Trail 90 and it's a hoot to ride. It'll climb trees in low gear. I've even got the obligatory milk crate on the back. Big Grin

Those 90cc Honda's were awesome trail bikes. A friend of mine had one and I had to outdo him so I picked up a 69 200cc single thumper Triumph Cub. I put a large sprocket on the rear and that thing would climb telephone poles. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I just went back and looked, mine's a 1970.

They're fun little bikes.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I just went back and looked, mine's a 1970.

They're fun little bikes.

Those Trail 90's were a hoot when I was a kid.

Dad bought one from his older brother that my uncle had taken apart (transmission was completely apart and in a cardboard box when we picked it up). My guess is that he took it apart and couldn't figure out how to put it back together again...

Dad spent several nights putting the transmission back together and kept ending up with 1 extra gear. Worried about where that gear was supposed to go, he went to the Honda dealer and picked up a shop manual and studied the pictures. I'll bet he had that transmission completely apart at least 5 times and each time he ended up with the same extra gear. Finally he said screw it and went to try it out (without that extra gear) - everything worked perfectly. I can still see Dad's face today - he was PISSED. To this day my uncle swears he didn't know there was an extra gear in that box. Big Grin

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
ORC-those things are chinese-made junk. Neighbor kids have one. Save your money.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
A lot of crap is coming from China these days. I'd make sure that it wasn't one of those. Parts would be a nightmare to get .

Jim

Emphasis on this parts issue! They used to sell them around here, but so many people got burned that I haven't seen them advertised for several years now.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Run Away. Lots of the china bikes have issues very soon after they are new. Most have little to no parts supprt system in the US.

I aways recommend the Yamaha TW200 for someone who wants a bike like this. Low seat hight fat on/off road tires. Yamaha started making them around 1988 and still make them little has changed. They have cult like following for a reason.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post