SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Powder Coating in the DC/NoVA Area
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Coating in the DC/NoVA Area Login/Join 
Picture of caneau
posted
I'm wondering if any forum members know (or are) powder coaters in the DC or Northern Virginia area. My go-to guy seems to have gone out of business and so far the rates everyone else seems to charge are way too high -- $250-350 for the stripped steel bicycle frame I'm looking to coat. Most places outside of this area (and my previous powder coater) seem to charge about half that. Not looking for anything fancy, just a straight forward polyester coating.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Have you tried American Stripping in Manassas? I own a vintage car service shop and we use them for all of our coating work. I find the prices very fair when compared to the time it would take us to refinish the parts. It would be best to drop by with the parts you want done, rather than get a quote over the phone.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
I think I've given them a call. They were one of the ones that were silly expensive. I may try stopping by in person however. I don't get how $40 in powder can turn into a $250 job when it's 30 minutes to bead blast and 30 minutes to spray.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
When I had stuff coated for an engine it was explained the expensive part is the color prep (cleaning out the old color and its residue, getting the new color in). Not sure if true though I always ask what colors they're going to run and see if my parts can be added (provided a color is acceptable).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post