SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quick Review Of The Ram 1500
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Review Of The Ram 1500 Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I just got back from my annual hunting trip to South Dakota. My hunting partner, who I meet in Nebraska, has a 2017 Ram 1500 with 2wd and the hemi.

I had the pleasure of sharing the driving to South Dakota and back. The ride is very smooth and may be the smoothest truck I have ever driven. The power of the hemi is impressive to say the least. I passed 3 vehicles on one of those deserted Nebraska roads where you can see 3 miles in either direction. I did not push that hard, but the needle shot past 90 very quickly.

I am not a big fan of shifting gears with a dial. The 8 speed transmission downshifted on every hill. The range between the gears must be pretty small.

The seats are comfortable and the dash is easy to read. Back seat room is bearable, but not great.

My only concern occurred during night driving. The dash was being reflected back at me by the driver's window. It was very disconcerting. Dimming the dash might have helped, but my friend did not know how and didn't want me messing with it.

If I were in the market for a truck, this would be a contender.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maxwayne,

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
I have a 2014 Crew Cab 4x4 with the same drive line you speak of. Love this truck, just turned 93k on it yesterday in fact.

I don't get all that good of mileage out of it anymore because I'm on 34+" mud tires that area also a good bit wider than stock but I still get 15-16 mixed run time so it's not horrible, especially considering it has the 3.92 gears which are a bit of a hit to the mpg factor to begin with.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if the need presented itself.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flash Ninja
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back seat room is bearable, but not great.

Appears they upped the back seat room to be best in class in 2019 models. I've been following the Ram 1500s for a bit now. I'm looking to replace my 2006 F150. It just turned over 220k lol. Eyeballing the 4x4 Ram 1500 Longhorn version.

----
We don't need no stinkin' badges.

Posts: 2075 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I am looking at getting one of these.

I was looking at the 3.6L V6 but got over that after driving one. The Hemi is a proven beast.

Twist, do you notice any issue with the dash being reflected back by the driver's window that maxwayne mentioned?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
I am looking at getting one of these.

I was looking at the 3.6L V6 but got over that after driving one. The Hemi is a proven beast.

Twist, do you notice any issue with the dash being reflected back by the driver's window that maxwayne mentioned?

Not at all but admittedly I do keep mine dimmed which does make a difference as maxwayne mentioned in the OP.

edit- To add, my truck is an Express model so it does have the more basic type dash. That could make a difference but I still believe that dimming the dash light would solve the issue at hand.

I've done that on every vehicle I've ever owned because I always find dash lights to be entirely too bright for me when turned all the way up.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If you liked the 2017 RAM 1500, you'll love the 2019. RAM made a long list of customer complaints and requests when they re-designed the 2019, and in just about every case, addressed all of them. I'm 6'2" and found the backseat incredibly spacious. And they recline which makes it even more comfy. And check out the new center console that is the absolute bomb. RAM hit it out of the park with that item.

I drove a 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie edition recently a friend was looking at buying, and felt it drove and rode better than Ford or GM offerings, and the interior layout, options, ergos, and materials were miles ahead of the competition. With the proven RAM HEMI motor, I don't think I'd have any hesitation in buying and driving one.

Who wouldn't like sitting in this environment daily?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2015 RAM 1500 Limited (same as a 2017). I just hit 50k miles and have never noticed any issues with reflection at night, and I am very sensitive to glare issues. My dash lights are always turned down at night though. It took me a long time to get used to the shift knob on the dash, but I did, and I like it now.

Thinking about trading for a 2019 with the "technology" package. Adaptive cruise control, blind spot indicators, forward collision avoidance, etc. I test drove one and all that stuff seemed to work as it should. Ride and quietness was noticeably better than mine. But the price has gone up over $10k since I got mine. Wow. They do have some decent deals. The salesman told me they are not exactly flying off the shelves.

Posts: 581 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
No one has talked about gas mileage. What is that new Hemi getting now?

I have an 05 F150 Lariat 4x4 that does no better than 15. That has been getting old for some time now. If I upgrade my truck, I sure want something that can do better than 15 mpg.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks twist and rangereqw about the night time dash reflections. My night vision is poor so this is an issue for me.

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:

I have an 05 F150 Lariat 4x4 that does no better than 15. That has been getting old for some time now. If I upgrade my truck, I sure want something that can do better than 15 mpg.

Its listed at 17/22 for the 2 wheek drive 5.7 Hemi.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's a full sized truck running a V8, so it's not going to be great. But then again, none of the current half tons running V8's get great fuel economy.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
If you liked the 2017 RAM 1500, you'll love the 2019. RAM made a long list of customer complaints and requests when they re-designed the 2019, and in just about every case, addressed all of them. I'm 6'2" and found the backseat incredibly spacious. And they recline which makes it even more comfy. And check out the new center console that is the absolute bomb. RAM hit it out of the park with that item.

I drove a 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie edition recently a friend was looking at buying, and felt it drove and rode better than Ford or GM offerings, and the interior layout, options, ergos, and materials were miles ahead of the competition. With the proven RAM HEMI motor, I don't think I'd have any hesitation in buying and driving one.

Who wouldn't like sitting in this environment daily?

That dash looks almost exactly like the F150’s.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I believe that on the trip from Texas to South Dakota, he was right at 20. He very seldom exceeds the speed limit.

quote:

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's guys.

If that Ram is getting around 20 in mixed driving that is a real improvement over my old F150.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:

The only time you should hover around 15 is if you're driving all city for an entire tank. The new engine specs are the same as the last generation but apparently includes some kind of a torque enhancement under certain conditions, probably removes some kind of torque management under towing but that's just a guess.

When mine was sitting on stock tires and wheels it was consistently between 17-18 mpg with a mix run time between city and highway. My daily round trip commute is 65 miles but the time I spend getting to the freeway and also running around town basically splits the run time between the two.Also keep in mind, mine is a crew cab 4x4 with the 3.92 gears so it's basically set up for lower end fuel economy.

Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Thanks twist and rangereqw about the night time dash reflections. My night vision is poor so this is an issue for me.

Not a problem at all but and I'd have noticed the glare if it was an issue because my eyes are very light sensitive.

Suggestion to make sure though, pick a local dealership and go test drive one during the evening. That way you can make sure it won't bother you.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The trannys they put in all these newer trucks is a real downer for me. All the shifting is moronic.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I drove a 19 model today for the company I use to work for. I delivered it to a city 150 miles away. The first 60 miles was on the interstate at 70mph and the next 90 was on a 2 lane with a 55 mph limit. This was a plain jane 6cyl with a large ladder rack and a ladder in place. It seemed to be causing some wind noise.

I was surprised that overall mileage was only 16.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Go drive one and compare. Its very different, in a good way. Materials feel and look better, and ergos are terrific. It really is an amazing evolution from the last generation truck.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Go drive one and compare. Its very different, in a good way. Materials feel and look better, and ergos are terrific. It really is an amazing evolution from the last generation truck.

I’ve got family that works for FCA. Let’s just say I’ll pass. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post