SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quick Review Of The Ram 1500
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Review Of The Ram 1500 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
The trannys they put in all these newer trucks is a real downer for me. All the shifting is moronic.

The 8-speed Chrysler is using in almost all their RWD-based stuff is the best automatic transmission I've ever driven. Especially behind the 5.7. The shifter knob is kinda dumb but otherwise it's an excellent powertrain combo.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I've got one as a rental right now while my F-150 is in the shop after a hit and run. I hate it. The transmission dial selector has a huge delay between when a gear is elected and is actually engaged. It likes to hang in R before shifting into P, if my foot isn't firmly on the brake it will jump backwards.

The other thing is driveline bind in four wheel drive is terrible. Driving around town in the snow and ice it pops, bangs and thunks loudly. I know it's part time four wheel drive and to sometimes be expected, but my F-150 isn't nearly as bad.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Those transmission dials can go straight back to hell where they belong.

This. Whatever girl-pants-wearing, man-bun-sporting, non-driving sob came up with that idea needs to be sent on a one-way trip to North Korea. I never liked Chrysler stuff before they started with that BS, and there's no way in hell I'd own one now.

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

This. Whatever girl-pants-wearing, man-bun-sporting, non-driving sob came up with that idea needs to be sent on a one-way trip to North Korea. I never liked Chrysler stuff before they started with that BS, and there's no way in hell I'd own one now.
Please don't spare us. Tell us exactly what you think. Razz

Its quite funny how some things are viewed. Some hate the tranny dial, some love it. Then there are folks like me who are almost completely ambivalent about it. It wouldn't sell me on the truck or sway me away from buying it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
quote:

Please don't spare us. Tell us exactly what you think. Razz

Its quite funny how some things are viewed. Some hate the tranny dial, some love it. Then there are folks like me who are almost completely ambivalent about it. It wouldn't sell me on the truck or sway me away from buying it.

For real, and over how to put your vehicle in gear no less.

There’s still steering wheel controls that allow one to go through gears manually if so desired. Pretty sure those have been there on 5 or 6 speed transmissions for a while for most manufacturers so it’s not like a dial on a dash really makes a damn. It’s simply how one selects which gear to start out in.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I'm liking the dial.

Back in the day when transmissions Were controled by linkages the big arm sticking out of the coluum made sense but with electronically controlled tranmissions the only purpose they serve is to placate people who don't like changing their paradigms.

Not having it gives the dash a cleaner look.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please don't spare us. Tell us exactly what you think.

Lol, always, and with pleasure Big Grin.

Honestly, as a daily driver, I could probably find a way to live with it. But as a cop, the last thing I want to have to worry about when some dirtbag jumps out of a car on a traffic stop is making sure some goofy dial is turned to the right spot so my car doesn't drive off without me when I bail out. 20 years of muscle memory with a column shifter has worked just fine for me...I have no desire to change now. I'm not really a fan of traditional console-shift vehicles, either (unless its a stick).

I don't like how vehicle manufacturers are implementing more dials and screen-based controls in vehicles. It forces you to take your eyes off the road and look at the dash or console, whereas with levers and buttons you can do everything by feel without having to look down. It's bad enough in a vehicle that is just used as a grocery getter, but in a patrol vehicle it could be life or death, or at the very least make for some really embarrassing youtube footage Big Grin.

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Please don't spare us. Tell us exactly what you think.

Lol, always, and with pleasure Big Grin.

Honestly, as a daily driver, I could probably find a way to live with it. But as a cop, the last thing I want to have to worry about when some dirtbag jumps out of a car on a traffic stop is making sure some goofy dial is turned to the right spot so my car doesn't drive off without me when I bail out. 20 years of muscle memory with a column shifter has worked just fine for me...I have no desire to change now. I'm not really a fan of traditional console-shift vehicles, either (unless its a stick).

I don't like how vehicle manufacturers are implementing more dials and screen-based controls in vehicles. It forces you to take your eyes off the road and look at the dash or console, whereas with levers and buttons you can do everything by feel without having to look down. It's bad enough in a vehicle that is just used as a grocery getter, but in a patrol vehicle it could be life or death, or at the very least make for some really embarrassing youtube footage Big Grin.

I'll give you that the coluum shifter might be better in a situation where you have to bail out in a high stress situation. But for the other 99.99999% of us that really doesn’t apply. My 35 years of muscle memory is already starting to change in less then 2 days of owning this.

I do agree with you about moving controls to touch screens. Due to my vision issues I don't like to have to look away from the road. I am pretty happy with the balance my new dodge has. Basic A/C controls and radio volume are knobs and buttons and I can change the radio channels and answer the phone from the steering wheel buttons. Advance functions like the split zone A/C and media center are controled from the touch screen.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Chevy owner here.

I sat in one (a '17 model, methinks), and was impressed with the comfort and amenities. I didn't care much one way or another about the shift dial, but would take some getting accustomed to.

My biggest concern is, seems like almost every time I tell a friend or acquaintance that I like the looks of the newest model, I hear them voice concern over the reliability of the transmissions and rear ends. Okay, so it's got a warranty, but I've never had one of my trucks transmissions or rear ends go out on me, and that's Chevys, F150's, and F250's. I'd hate to spend that kind of coin and then have an issue like that. Anyone know if that's just brand bias, or if the reported repair numbers back that up?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
My 81yo Dad has a 2016 Ram 1500 and he loves it. I'm visiting this week and he says the next time he takes it in for a service, they have a safety upgrade to install that will put the transmission into park when the door is opened so it won't roll away if left in drive or neutral. He doesn't know all the details of it yet but I'm sure there is an option to override the safety feature if necessary.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Chevy owner here.

I sat in one (a '17 model, methinks), and was impressed with the comfort and amenities. I didn't care much one way or another about the shift dial, but would take some getting accustomed to.

My biggest concern is, seems like almost every time I tell a friend or acquaintance that I like the looks of the newest model, I hear them voice concern over the reliability of the transmissions and rear ends. Okay, so it's got a warranty, but I've never had one of my trucks transmissions or rear ends go out on me, and that's Chevys, F150's, and F250's. I'd hate to spend that kind of coin and then have an issue like that. Anyone know if that's just brand bias, or if the reported repair numbers back that up?

I think the biggest issue was with the 4 speed transmission that hasn't been on the trucks for quite a while. I haven't heard of nor experienced any wide spread issues with the 8 speed that's been at least an option since 2013.

No idea about the rear end issues, that's a new one on me.

FWIW, I was a 25 year GM guy before I bought my 2014 Ram.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
I'm waiting for Ram to produce a variant of the new '19 1500 comparable in appearance to my '14 Ram crew cab Sport.

Love my '14; it has the Hemi with the ZF 8-speed, limited slip diff, heated and cooled leather seats, 32 gallon tank, tons of rear seat room, and gives me ~20 mpg in mixed driving if I keep it under 80.

I bought a 2013 Laramie Longhorn (w/ 44k miles) last year that looks like it just left the showroom floor. The nicest truck I've ever owned and probably ever will. Just got back from a 1100 mile trip to Kansas and averaged 19.5 MPG, and as my daily driver it averages 17.5 MPG. After 30 years of owning Ford trucks I'll never own another one again.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post