SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quick Review Of The Ram 1500
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Review Of The Ram 1500 Login/Join 
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I could get 20 on the highway in my 2010 1500 with the old 5 speed transmission.

The HEMI is a great engine.

Depending on the configuration, crew or quad, the back seat can be ginormous.

My truck is still purring along with nary a trouble at 160k.

Be really hard for me not to get another Ram.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
dissenting opinion

I had a rental for about 2 days,
turned it in for something else

size was not bad,
ride was not great
front seats were not comfortable,
plenty of power, however,
1500, Hemi, 4x4, cannot remember the option level,

did not like the dash, way more info than needed, and most of that info was small,

I drive a car as a daily driver, but have a Tundra (2000) as well,

the older tundra is a better truck

JMHO YMMV

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
dissenting opinion

size was not bad,
ride was not great

did not like the dash, way more info than needed, and most of that info was small,

JMHO YMMV
What year was the truck you rented? Rental vehicles are usually a rather poor yard stick to measure an entire class of vehicle given they are usually lower equipment package vehicles, and beaten mercilessly by their renters.

The 2019 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Laramie 4x4 I test drove recently rode better than any half ton truck I've ever driven, so I'm curious what specifically you drove.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2019 4x4 Crew cab Bighorn and its a great truck. Very comfortable and tons of room in the back. I was looking at 2500s but this is actually a bit bigger inside in the legroom department. Its very quiet inside and has all the amenities to keep the family happy. Theres a lifetime warranty in case anything goes wrong which came with a reasonable price tag.

It stands to reason I'd be happy as I custom ordered it from the factory which I highly recommend if they dont have exactly what you want on the lot.

I'm coming from a Chevy 1500 LTZ which was a great very reliable truck except some small stuff. It was a quad cab so that got smaller as the tikes got bigger. If youre in the market I'd say test drive one for sure.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I got an email from my friend and he averaged 22.9 from Dallas to South Dakota and back.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 2019 BigHorn 4x4 with the Hemi this weekend. I drove it for 250 miles doing mixed high speed highway (80mph) and narrower back roads. I thought it drove great. Very comfortable seats, and the center console is awesome. I can say that now that I have seen the quad cab, I would go crew cab all the way, way more room. I think I averaged 18 and change over the tank of gas.

For those interested in better gas mileage check out the new Etorque system they introduced, its a 48v mild hybrid system that is supposed to give it a couple more mpgs.
https://www.ramtrucks.com/ram-1500/capability.html

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for Ram to produce a variant of the new '19 1500 comparable in appearance to my '14 Ram crew cab Sport.

Love my '14; it has the Hemi with the ZF 8-speed, limited slip diff, heated and cooled leather seats, 32 gallon tank, tons of rear seat room, and gives me ~20 mpg in mixed driving if I keep it under 80.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Those transmission dials can go straight back to hell where they belong. Had a rental car with one, hated it. Only dial I'm ok with is 2wd/4wd

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I'll just say that with regards to fuel economy, the highway speed you pick will determine if you are impressed or disappointed by it. My Ford Expedition EL with the 3.5L EcoBoost and a 6sp transmission gets 20-21 mpg at 65 mph, but pretty quickly declines from there. 17-17.5mpg at 75, 15mpg at 85. It has a curb weight of 6100#.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
I have a '19 Rebel with the E-torque motor. The RAM is better in every aspect compared to the competition except Ford having a bit more power with the turbos. I think Edmunds did a comparo between the big 3 and the 1/4 mile times were only a couple tenths apart. The GM 5.3 is the most lethargic power plant you can get. I came from a Silverado with the vortec 6.0 and there's no comparison with the Hemi. Exterior looks are subjective but the RAM interior is incredible.

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1237 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
dissenting opinion

size was not bad,
ride was not great

JMHO YMMV
What year was the truck you rented? Rental vehicles are usually a rather poor yard stick to measure an entire class of vehicle given they are usually lower equipment package vehicles, and beaten mercilessly by their renters.

The 2019 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Laramie 4x4 I test drove recently rode better than any half ton truck I've ever driven, so I'm curious what specifically you drove.

the 2018 version of what you just mentioned,(extended not crew cab) with around 30K on it

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Pulled the trigger on this today. 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the 5.7l HEMI. 18,500 miles. Traded in my 2004 Ram with 182,000 miles.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Pull the side emblems and black the truck out, it would look just like mine.

Congrats man, that’s a damned good looking ride.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
I bought my 2012 Hemi RAM Express new in 2011, and it is a fantastic vehicle.

The rear coil springs make all the difference in the world.

I can't imagine that I'll ever get rid of it...

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I absolutely LOVE the transmission dial. It saves so much space. Whenever I get in a car without one I think of that big ass gear shifter taking up so much valuable real estate.

My 2019 should be in soon. My 2017 is ready for turn in. I had a 2015 before the 2017 too.

Comfort depends on the model you get. Mine have all been Laramies and they’ve been great

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twist:
Pull the side emblems...
Pull all the badges attached to the paint with the exception of the RAM head in the center of the tailgate. Best of all RAM doesn't use alignment holes behind their badges like Ford does, so you can remove the badges on a RAM, buff out and seal the finish, and be left with a super slick really attractive truck. Love these trucks when they're de-badged. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
That dash looks almost exactly like the F150’s.
Go drive one and compare. Its very different, in a good way. Materials feel and look better, and ergos are terrific. It really is an amazing evolution from the last generation truck.

I’ve got family that works for FCA. Let’s just say I’ll pass. Smile

They make some cool stuff but we have not had good luck with them overall. Too many warranty repairs blew our confidence...no more for us. I do think the 2019 Ram looks great though.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
That fancy dash is to distract you so you won't see your rear end laying on the road behind you.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Twist:
Pull the side emblems...
Pull all the badges attached to the paint with the exception of the RAM head in the center of the tailgate. Best of all RAM doesn't use alignment holes behind their badges like Ford does, so you can remove the badges on a RAM, buff out and seal the finish, and be left with a super slick really attractive truck. Love these trucks when they're de-badged. Smile

Only issue is on a used truck you might see a little “ghosting” from where the emblems were if you look close enough. It does eventually go away though.

Mine had the black appearance group option which deleted the side emblems. My front and rear Ram emblems along with the 4x4 tailgate emblem are all black as part of the option package I mentioned, I left them on because they look fine to me.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a Dodge (or Ram) truck. I test drove the new 2019 Ram 1500 on Friday. That is one nice truck!

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post