SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It was a Joying Android Auto installation project kind of day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It was a Joying Android Auto installation project kind of day Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
My 2000 Silverado Z71 is blessed with a single din setup so options with a decent screen are quite limited. Yes, one can do a double din conversion but you have to hack up the metal internal dash frame and then part of your HVAC controls are covered.
A couple years back I found a close out JVC single din unit with small screen for me to add a backup camera. Think Crutchfield had it for like $100.

Worked well for what it is but the Aux connection was annoying for the phone.
About a year ago I found out about these Android head units but at the time they were all double din and the single din were the fold out screen type that look like crap and would hit the shift lever.
Just recently found a single din with a bigger screen happened to be on sale for $175
Octacore 1.8 ghz intel processor
2gb Ram and 32gb memory
Bluetooth
Navigation
WiFi
Am/Fm Radio
Works just like an Android tablet so can run any Android app
Would prefer 4gb and 64gb for the specs but since this is just the side truck I won’t have many apps so it will suffice.
Installs just like any other aftermarket stereo so I wired up the harness, ran the GPS antenna up into the dash, and ran the mic for phone calls. Already had the install bezel from the JVC.

Got her all wired up and installed.
Under normal use it looks like an Android tablet with a grid of app icons. That can be a pain for vehicle use so there are apps called launchers that work as a skin and you can select your main apps in a nice streamlined layout that is fully customizable.

My backup camera was like $30 years ago. I am thinking of getting a better quality on for a little better picture but it works.

Yes, I am aware these are Chinese junk and in no way compare to the mainstream Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, etc. but I am not going for that as they don’t make a feasible option for me.
2 years at $175 and replace with a new upgraded spec’d model does not bother me at all.

The sound quality is actually better than the JVC delivered. Has a heck of a 16 channel equalizer and bass blockers.
I’ll likely add a 10” powered sub under the rear seat for some better lows but the JVC needed that too.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I've had one for three years, and it's still going. It does have the occasional glitch, and more frustrating is that JetAudio seems to delete all the music on my SSD. But it's been pretty enjoyable and fantastically useful. I could turn in utility locates via app, use freeware office app, etc.

I have used the MalaySK ROM from XDA Developers, and some other stuff. Might be worth looking at if you're experiencing bugs. Joying is pretty crappy at responding (lol) to help requests, and the forum there can assist you. Also, there is a member (doctorman) who is a vendor that also does repair work outside warranty or for a reasonable fee rather than send your HU on a slow boat to China.

Matter of fact, I'm about to get another for a different vehicle. I'm going with the 4GB/64GB 1024X600 model, which is about the same as what my old Joying cost at the time.

If you don't mind me asking, what launcher are you using? I've tried NEXT and CarLauncher, and didn't particularly care for either. And have you used ZLINK? I'd really like to be able to pair my iPhone (don't know if that's what you have, though).

In case you weren't aware, you can plug a 2.4GHz dongle into one of the USB cables that will work with an accompanying mouse and wireless keyboard.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
When I bought my first unit at the beginning of the year. A no name double din unit that I use in my shop I tried a boat load of launchers and found Agama Pro to not only be the most aesthetically pleasing but very well organized and easy to use.

When you say you want to be able to pair your iPhone what do you mean?
Pairing I think of Bluetooth and my iPhone pairs with both units just fine.

————————————————

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
The newer Joying units have an in-house app called ZLINK. It's supposed to functionally duplicate Android Auto and CarPlay.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I saw that on some models. It was like $50 more maybe and need a dongle if I remember correctly.
I don’t have a need for that in this truck so I did not opt for the more expensive model.

Only issue I am having at the moment is AmazonMusic app shuts down right after the music starts.
Did not get a chance to delete and reinstall the app to see if that helps.

————————————————

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Yes, I am aware these are Chinese junk and in no way compare to the mainstream Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, etc.
Actually, quite the contrary. The Chinese Android head unit makers are listening to customers and including with their units what people want. The big names (Pioneer, JVC, SONY, etc) not so much.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Joying Android Auto

That's cool, I want to replace the 6 cd head unit in my 03 Eff Juan Fiddy with a larger screen, back up camera, blooteef and apple car play

It's not quite double din size but it's a double opening for the stock unit, but if one of these would fit and cover it up I'd be in like flint...

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Yes, I am aware these are Chinese junk and in no way compare to the mainstream Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, etc.
Actually, quite the contrary. The Chinese Android head unit makers are listening to customers and including with their units what people want. The big names (Pioneer, JVC, SONY, etc) not so much.

When it comes to options and capabilities yes but your name brands will easily work a whole lot longer than these Chinese things.
I will be quite pleased if I get 3 years out of it but at $175 vs. $600+ and still not have full app utilization like the Android I am good with them not lasting that long.
Plus at the rate processor speeds are going it will be time to upgrade anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Joying Android Auto

That's cool, I want to replace the 6 cd head unit in my 03 Eff Juan Fiddy with a larger screen, back up camera, blooteef and apple car play

It's not quite double din size but it's a double opening for the stock unit, but if one of these would fit and cover it up I'd be in like flint...

That is exactly how this Silverado is.
You just buy the installation bezel for a single din unit for your truck.

A quick glance at Crutchfield show this install bezel. But double check to be sure.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_...MK-550-Dash-Kit.html

Here is Joyings site they have 20% off many at the moment
https://www.joyingauto.com/sin...n-car-radio.html?p=3

Ebay is chock full off different brands and no brands as well.
Just pick a single din with the specs you want and I suggest one with an adjustable screen mounting system so you can center it to the opening better.

————————————————

Hey!
Hold my beer!
Picture of rkight3
posted Hide Post
Damn. That looks better than my Pioneer dbl din...

Posts: 2395 | Location: Western Kentucky. | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
How does the backup camera get installed? I assume that is hardwired back to the head unit?

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
How does the backup camera get installed? I assume that is hardwired back to the head unit?
RCA jacks, and a trigger wire to reverse lights (easiest to use the wire right at the tail light harness).

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
RCA jacks, and a trigger wire to reverse lights (easiest to use the wire right at the tail light harness).

That is one way and the way I have it done. Nice part it is all automatic put it in reverse and you get the camera. Down fall is you must be in reverse to see the camera.

Another way is to wire the trigger to a constant power and put a switch between. That way you can access the camera whenever you want. Downside is there is no automatic view when you put it reverse.

You could also wire a constant power and the tail light to a switch and have the best of both worlds.

Being that these are fully capable of running any Android app there are a number of wireless cameras that link to a mobile app and use the device as the screen for the camera.
So that is an option if you don’t feel like running wires.

————————————————

Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
A switch could be wired in with the backup circuit to activate by switch when needed. You would just need to install a diode on the wire that takes power from the backup circuit and tap you switch supply between the diode and head unit.

This way you can still have auto engagement of camera when in reverse, yet still overide it when you need it while not in reverse. Without a diode your switch would energize the backing lamps... And potentially cause damage somewhere else within the electrical system.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Metra has made a replacement dash kit for DDINs for a couple of years:

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-D...h-1999/dp/B00T8U6EBM

No hacking of metal required, although the plastic shelf below the factory radio has to be cut. It is a very nice fit, and you can then use any standard DDIN radio. We installed one today in a 1999 Silverado.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQHhxFExmPA

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have seen that but my understanding is it covers up portions of the HVAC controls and covers up the power ports underneath the HVAC.

How did you deal with the metal bracket directly behind the radio?
On the 2000 a standard depth double din hits the bracket towards to top and needs to be cut out a single din does not hit the bracket as it is farther back on the lower end of the bracket compared to the top.

————————————————