SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Jersey community to fine out-of-town drivers
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Jersey community to fine out-of-town drivers Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I can't imagine that flying in a court of law.

You can count on the judge in the county to be corrupt.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
For a couple years before I retired I had to make fairly frequent trips to NJ.

Hated it.

Will never willingly go there again!

What we found one night was that one block away from the line of gambling joints on what amounted to a boardwalk, was pure slum!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
When we drove down to Oregon a few months ago for the eclipse, the ride back was epic. It took us through gravel roads that hadn't seen cars in some time. There was a lady standing out in her yard in the middle of nowhere with one lane of cars as far as you could see either way not moving and she had her hands on her hips and looked like she'd never seen anything like it before in her life.

Yeah, with GPS technology, re-routing through residential that isn't normally choked is now A THING where before, it wasn't. You had to rely on a Johnny-on-the-spot map reader who had their shit together and it was all guesswork at best anyhow since you didn't know the area. Now? All those metrics (how long from X to Y to Z and at what time of day) are fed to you live with directions that make sense.

So yeah, Smalltown, USA is going to see more traffic. Our infrastructure hasn't been updated to keep pace with the growth of the nation and the technology that makes it move. These are growing pains. Get with the fucking times, New Jersey. Let people pump their own gas, let them make left turns and let them drive through neighborhoods they don't live in. Or just keep being one of the shittiest states in the union, I don't think most people much care.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw this a couple times in Pa. a few years ago. If you accept Federal/Sate money to maintain the roads your not gonna be able to dictate who can use them.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
AFAIK, there is no law that requires a city or municipality to have a particular street plan. So block off a few streets here and there such that there is no longer a direct route through the city, or what exists is so convoluted no one would want to drive it (except, of course, those who live there).
flashguy

This ^^^^
Jacksonville Beach had issues with cars cruising 1st street between Jax Bach and neighboring Atlantic Bach which included residential neighborhoods.

They tried different things including a city ord that made it illegal to drive down 1st street xx number of times in xx amount of time.

They finally closed off a section added a one way section and I think they added a no left turn at one intersection. The issue with the traffic through the residential neighborhoods went away.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Fuck Jersey

Exactly. This seems typical of the inane decision-making by those plaguing their constituents.

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”
― H.L. Mencken

-All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Posts: 4801 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have to say this falls into the highly illegal category. Something to do with inter-state commerce possibly.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is one of the advantages of living on a dead-end street.

How often does someone try to pass on through?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:

Roll Eyes

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
AFAIK, there is no law that requires a city or municipality to have a particular street plan. So block off a few streets here and there such that there is no longer a direct route through the city, or what exists is so convoluted no one would want to drive it (except, of course, those who live there).
flashguy

This ^^^^
Jacksonville Beach had issues with cars cruising 1st street between Jax Bach and neighboring Atlantic Bach which included residential neighborhoods.

They tried different things including a city ord that made it illegal to drive down 1st street xx number of times in xx amount of time.

They finally closed off a section added a one way section and I think they added a no left turn at one intersection. The issue with the traffic through the residential neighborhoods went away.

But you can't pick what cars can go thru certain streets. If it's a one way street it's a one way street for everyone.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I live in NJ. Such a beautiful state, it really is. I wish I could vote in every conservative I could. It sucks being penalized. My only thing going for me is I live in a red county.

The courts are going to be so overloaded they might put an end to this idea. One could only hope.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3858 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is one of the advantages of living on a dead-end street.

How often does someone try to pass on through?

I live on a dead end off another dead end. We get a fair number of people who drive down the larger road, see the dead end, turn around and come down our street, drive down' my neighbor's dirt driveway, turn around again and go back the way the came. "Surprise MFers, the sign is not just for show."

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
"The town’s officials said the measure was legal but it could be “tested in court.”

Sounds like wishful thinking, and I hope it gets very expensive for them. Of course they wouldn't be brazen enough to say, "Yeah, we know it's illegal but we're doing it anyway." Even in Jersey.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I don't know, I read the story and all I heard in my head while reading was...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Lots of towns in that area have resident stickers for parking, etc., but I have never seen a sticker to allow passage. I don't see this working like they think it will. It's pretty obvious that the town wants to have its cake and eat it too - keep all the streets open for residents, but close them for everyone else. That's extreme even for NJ.

IMHO, what they should have done was made certain streets one way, or no left turn during certain hours, to make the shortcuts go away. But the rules have to apply to everybody, not just the unwashed masses passing through to get to/from the damn GW Bridge.

I'll make a prediction here. This policy is going to be challenged in court soon after it goes into effect. Leonia is gonna lose. This will make them change the plan. Some streets will become dead ends. Others will have turning or entry restrictions implemented during peak traffic hours. Those that don't comply will get ticketed for violation of NJ Statutes that cover the violations. If they go to court, the prosecutor will likely offer them the opportunity to plead to "Unsafe Driving" (NJ Statute 39:4-97.2, if you want to look it up) and pay a fine but get no points for a first offense. And once Leonia sees how much of that $400 fine comes back to them, trust me - they'll be enforcing this vigorously. Leonia will make passing through their town an aggravation, and the traffic will eventually go elsewhere. And and as far as the locals go... who's to say if they'll get a ticket, or a list of the intersections where enforcement is regularly scheduled, printed on card stock the same size and color as the standard NJ traffic summons?

Cops in NJ have discretion, and aren't afraid to use it. I've been asked to wait a few minutes while the other guy got his ticket, and even though I committed the same "offense", I was released with a verbal warning. This was in my home town, on a street that has a turning prohibition from 4-6 PM Mon-Fri. I take that street every day, but rarely before 6 PM. The local cop was nice enough to let my error slide, but didn't want me to just drive away in front of the other guy he stopped. I'm assuming the other guy didn't live in town. I was more than happy to sit for a few - I used the time to program a proximity alert into my GPS to remind me of the restriction.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Not sure about New Jersey, but earlier this year the Michigan State Police took serious issue with townships, villages, and cities that set up speed traps and other ways to catch motorists that we're not in compliance with state law. An example would be placing a 1/4 mile stretch of 25 mph in the middle of what would be typically zoned 45 mph. If you received a ticket you we're urged to plead not guilty and forward a copy and description to the MSP for evaluation and investigation. They could rule the ticket invalid and force the local department into compliance.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
They will also get in trouble if they selectively enforce.

Many years ago, New Hampshire issued a ton of tickets for speeding to drivers on the Kancamagus Highway through the White Mountains during leaf season. One of the guys they ticketed was a lawyer from Massachusetts who challenged the ticket, and as part of the legal case, subpoenaed the record of every ticket issued that weekend on that road. As it turned out, almost no tickets were issued to residents of New Hampshire. (Fancy that...)

The judge didn't just throw out his ticket, he voided ever ticket written for the three day weekend on that roadway, and issued a warning to the chief of the state police.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:

Roll Eyes

I "did time in Jersey" and yes corruption was rampant. Roll your eyes all you want- the truth sometimes hurts.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I love this idea. I can’t wait for PA police to pull over all the Jersey A-holes that are infiltrating my state and ticketing them for using the roads.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time I've seen a new ordnance being enacted, it was run by the legal department to see if it passed the litmus test.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post