SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Jersey community to fine out-of-town drivers
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Jersey community to fine out-of-town drivers Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Just let them do it. See how long they last without:
Postal deliveries from out of town drivers
Food, drug, parcel deliveries from out of town drivers
Gasoline from out of town drivers
And the like.

Posts: 324 | Location: Columbus OH | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They're either public streets or they're not.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
So they are proposing to restrict the travel of people traveling between states to conduct commerce? LOL, that's specifically prohibited in the Constitution. Have the town lawyers never heard of the Interstate Commerce Clause? What nonsense.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
At rush hour people use our neighborhood residential streets as pass throughs for commuters. They do 40-45mph and it’s posted 30 mph and we have lots of kids around. Neighbors have put up signs “Drive like your kids live here” and I’ve noticed local LE showing up and parking during rush hours. It has gotten out of hand.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They'll be about as successful as a Chil-Fil-A boycott.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
It will never stand up in court. I love it when the idiot politicians enact this type of stupidity , then dump it on others to enforce and deal with. on the road. It will go largely unenforced.

If there is an issue with commuter traffic using smaller sidestreet and operating in a unsafe manner, deal with that. 60 streets??? Idiotic.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is one of the advantages of living on a dead-end street.

I'm on a long-U shaped circle. When you see the same car go by the third time your flag goes up!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12404 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
They have these in high dollar neighborhoods in MD. No turns certain hours, no parking without pass, no trucks, no commercial vehicles, no thru traffic. Pretty much during rush-hour if you don't live there or have business there you can't drive there. They also have BS speed cameras set up everywhere.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
It will never stand up in court. I love it when the idiot politicians enact this type of stupidity , then dump it on others to enforce and deal with. on the road. It will go largely unenforced.

If there is an issue with commuter traffic using smaller sidestreet and operating in a unsafe manner, deal with that. 60 streets??? Idiotic.

That about sums things up for the politicians who run New Jersey from top to bottom. They get most of the press, but my thoughts and prayers are for the good people of NJ who the fight the fight despite the odds.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
Awesome idea. Hope it somehow manages to stand up against scrutiny.

I'd also like to see it applied in reverse to interstates, that is, no local traffic on interstates. They should be for travel to and from locations, at which time you then disembark and drive on local roads.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
AFAIK, there is no law that requires a city or municipality to have a particular street plan. So block off a few streets here and there such that there is no longer a direct route through the city, or what exists is so convoluted no one would want to drive it (except, of course, those who live there).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
When the town is sued penniless, I'm sure the voters will take up pitchforks and torches and march to City Hall demanding blood.

Or, alternatively, maybe they'll just shrug, vote for the same slugs again (because there's a parentheses-D-parentheses after the name on the ballot) and bitch a little when their property taxes go up to pay for the civil judgments.

Having lived in this hellscape for a few years, I'm betting on Door #2.

Posts: 2458 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is one of the advantages of living on a dead-end street.

I'm on a long-U shaped circle. When you see the same car go by the third time your flag goes up!

We live in the country. After the 3rd pass, someone goes out and tells them how to get back to town.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey now, the town was voted the 32nd best place to live in NJ in 2008. They know what is going on.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I used to travel from southern NJ up to Westchester, NY every week sometimes several times. The roads leading up to the George Washington bridge to get you across the Hudson into the Bronx can be backed up for hours and that's on a normal day. Waze will route you through Fort Lee, Leonia and the surrounding small towns often saving at least an hour. I'm glad I don't have to do that drive anymore because taking that short cut away is going to really ramp up the traffic over the bridge and give no alternate. For that, I'm against it and agree with everyone that it remains to be seen how it will hold up in court. Also, the local PD admits they'll only be able to ticket an extremely limited number of cars. They just do not have the man power for the many thousands of cars coming through there every day.

That said, when the GW is backed up I understand the residents wanting some kind of solution. The local roads are flooded with cars for miles down every side street and through many of the small neighborhoods. If you live there you can't get your car out of the driveway to go anywhere and typical New Yorkers driving through will honk and otherwise act like assholes to add insult to injury. The issue is the roads and infrastructure simply cannot handle the traffic flowing into and out of NYC and Cuomo would rather spend money on grandiose projects to slap his Daddy's name on in his prep for the 2020 run. Frown

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Local businesses will get hurt by this.
People from the bordering towns won't come in to do business if they're going to get fined.
What idiots.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. I see a business opportunity in the yellow tag counterfeitting business.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm all for it. While they're at it, they should also not let their residents leave as to infest the other parts of the country with that special brand of New Jersey bullshit. Already see enough of that shit down here in central Florida with all the NJ plates.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
Why don't you ask Ft. Lee, NJ to close down the George Washington Bridge...

Oh wait...

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig M11:
Why don't you ask Ft. Lee, NJ to close down the George Washington Bridge...

Oh wait...

LOL!!! Big Grin

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post