SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Archie Teuthis - You've been fingered by Karma: Cat's name unrecognized by edumacted peoples
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Archie Teuthis - You've been fingered by Karma: Cat's name unrecognized by edumacted peoples Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
I named my cat Bede.

I have yet to introduce Bede to a single person (other than my spouse and daughter-chan) who knows the source of the name.

This has left me puzzled.

Is it a familial thing, taught parent to child and in one case, to cat, or are my countrymen not taught the story of this man?

Question:
Without using anything other than your brain (i.e., no internetfu or Encyclopedia Britianica) do you recognize the name Bede?

Answer yes or no.

Then post a reply stating yea or naye, and who he was and why we should care.

On Sunday the Karminator shalt chuse amongst the respondents who posted a reply, the lucky sod to receive some thing of value, such as a $20 gift card from Amazon.

Choices:
Yes
No

Question:
Extra credit question.

Answer this: I know who Wycliffe was and I can name he who finished Wycliffe's great work.

Choices:
Yes
No

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig2340,

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
No. I have no idea who Bede is. and the only Wycliffe I have ever heard of is Wycliffe Jean.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^ that was my answer as well.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nope and nope.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
1. Yes - Venerable Bede known as the Father of English History.

2. John Wycliffe - translated the Bible into English, was declared a heretic. He was actually mentioned in an episode of PBS's Secrets of the Dead called the Battle for the Bible.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
1. Yes. Jim Bede was an American homebuilt aircraft designer, best known for the BD-5J.

2. No. Best of luck to all!

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
1. Yes. Jim Bede was an American homebuilt aircraft designer, best known for the BD-5J.

2. No. Best of luck to all!

Yup, that's where I recognized the name from as well, but somehow I don't think that's the one the OP had in mind.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you call your cat "Old Venerable"?

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bebe Buell Miss November 1974, mother of Liv Tyler?

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
Do you call your cat "Old Venerable"?

I called my spouse that.

Once.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Wasn't Bede the smart guy with the glasses on Hunger Games (introduced in 2nd book/movie)?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Years ago, a guy named Jim Bede was selling kit-planes. Build your own jet.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I'm not edumacted but my second thought was ...

Big Grin

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Wasn't Bede the robot on Buck Rogers?

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4786 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OneWheelDrive:
Wasn't Bede the robot on Buck Rogers?

The name was Twiki but he kept repeating bede, bede, bede as far as I can remember.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't know the source of his name, but I know he's a sweetie. Bede is a good boy!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I am well acquainted with the Venerable Bede and own and have read his Ecclesiastical History of the English People.

I know the name "John Wycliffe" but his accomplishments and understudy escape me.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes. No.

Thank you for the venerable Karma. Please add me to the list.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Nope and Nope works for me to.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7251 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
That would be no & no.

Yet I still managed to get up and feed myself today....weird.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post