SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Norelco Electric Shaver Opinions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norelco Electric Shaver Opinions Login/Join 
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted
I had a foil style electric shaver about 20 years ago and hated it due to all of the hair pulling it did instead of cutting. Since then I’ve used Gillete Sensor Excel and Mach 3 razors. I’m out of blades and thought it might be a good time to re-evaluate my shaving choice. Typically I shave my face once a week. Thanks!

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Funny you should ask. I just purchased a Norelco rotary. For years I used foil shavers, but I think I'm done with them. I tend to be very hard on my shavers, and have gone through too many torn screens. The Norelco is nearly as close on flat areas, and is closer on the contours to make up. I've actually owned Norelcos in the past, and have been generally satisfied.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I found that the Norelco rotary pulled my beard hairs worse than the foil screen Braun. That may be a function of beard type. It seems that neither type works well if my beard has several days growth. The hair lays down flat instead of standing up to get cut. YMMV.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Shaving only once a week I can’t say but I use a $100 Norelco wet/Dry.
I go 2 days at the most when I am lazy. Not sure how it would do with a weeks growth as I have to clean the blades after every 2 uses so twice a week.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone use their electric razor wet? I started doing this a year ago and couldn't be happier. I use a Norelco rotary, a 5900 series IIRC. I prepare just like I would as if using a blade. Apply the cream, wait a few minutes and start shaving. Rinse the razor every now and again and presto, I'm GTG. What I like about this method is I'm able to get the nooks and crannys better and I get a shave that is just as close as a blade. BTW, the Norelco is a cordless and listed as waterproof.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Does anyone use their electric razor wet? I started doing this a year ago and couldn't be happier. I use a Norelco rotary, a 5900 series IIRC. I prepare just like I would as if using a blade. Apply the cream, wait a few minutes and start shaving. Rinse the razor every now and again and presto, I'm GTG. What I like about this method is I'm able to get the nooks and crannys better and I get a shave that is just as close as a blade. BTW, the Norelco is a cordless and listed as waterproof.

Never have even thought about it but going to try now.

————————————————

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My beard is coarse and thick. Norelco shavers pull out hairs and foil shavers heat up to a painful temp before I can finish. I’ve used quality blades and soap my wife makes for years now.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I've used a Norelco since I started shaving, mainly because my father did (funny how that works.) Never had a problem, and I've likely saved myself thousands of dollars over the decades in blades and shaving cream. Tried a Braun once, and it was a painful disaster.

I've never felt the need for the fancier, more expensive Norelcos. Looking at their site, if I had to buy one now, I'd get either their 4100 or 3500 models.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've tried most things over the years. In order (as best I recall):

• Single-edged blades
  • Gillette Trac 2
  • Norelco rotary (top of the line)
  • Remington foil (top of the line)
  • Norelco rotary (sold the Remington and returned to it)
  • Gillette Trac 2 (Norelco died)
  • Remington rotary (low-end) (horrible)
  • Gillette Mach 3
  • Braun Series 5 foil

Blades used to work the best for me, but in the last few years I've been unable to shave the underside of my chin with a blade without severe irritation, no matter what I've tried.

So I decided to give a Braun foil electric a try. A member here kindly karma'd me a Series 5. I've used it for two seasons (I grow a beard in the winter) and I have to say I get a shave that's nearly as close and smooth as any blade I've ever used, with very, very little irritation.

I'll sometimes lightly run over my face with a dry Mach 3 blade if I want an extra close/nice shave.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Shaving only once a week I can’t say but I use a $100 Norelco wet/Dry.
I go 2 days at the most when I am lazy. Not sure how it would do with a weeks growth as I have to clean the blades after every 2 uses so twice a week.

I could shave more often if needed. My facial hair has always been light in color and density. As time goes by, it’s becoming white/gray and even less visible. Shaving is more of a comfort thing for me. Any longer than 8/9 days and the itching drives me crazy.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Panasonic Arc5 after my previous razor rolled out of the vanity and INTO THE TOILET Mad! So far am very impressed with it. Best electric razor I have ever used.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I found that the Norelco rotary pulled my beard hairs worse than the foil screen Braun. That may be a function of beard type. It seems that neither type works well if my beard has several days growth. The hair lays down flat instead of standing up to get cut. YMMV.

Try splashing on a little "Williams lectric pre shave", worked wonders making my whiskers stand up for a good clean electric shave.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I've been using Norelco triple head razors for almost twenty five years now. I'm firmly sold on them.

I normally just use them to shave my face, ( most of the time, I use Panasonic wet/dry razors to shave my head, ) but use it to shave my head from time to time as well.

I only dry shave with both razors.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Just switched fron the Norelco rotary to a Braun Series 7 foil. Much closer shave.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a die-hard Norelco man. My late brother gave me a cordless Norelco razer for my graduation gift(high school). That was a loooong time ago. I have been through a few of them over the years due to battery failure, but always stick with them. I have tried the Remington, and some other brand foil, but was not happy with them.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Braun 9 has $50 off from Braun. Get the Bedbath Beyond 20% off coupon to get a deep discount. I prefer the Braun and have used for years, did try Norelco a few years back - went back to Braun.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:

I tried it.
Worked very well on my cheeks and upper lip. Not so good on my chin and neck it was almost like it was too slick.
I may need some new blades as it has been awhile I’ll try it again when I get some new.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with Norelco Tripleheader razors for about 50 years. My beard is not overly coarse or thick and the Norelco gives a close shave with very little irritation.

Posts: 763 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Braun 5 and Lectric Shave has been my go to for a few years now.
(the kroger generic did NOT work as well as the Williams product and didn't smell as nice)

I tried a Norelco waaayyy back when and it was horrible.
They've had to improve since then because that was a genuine POS but I'm sticking with Braun from here on.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I personally found Norelco rotary to work better than Braun foil shavers for me. These days I am using an old-school safety razor and shaving soap.

With both Norelco and Braun, I found using the "Remington FaceSaver" powder stick to be hugely effective at reducing irritation.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post