SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you accept the Adam and Eve story of the Bible?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you accept the Adam and Eve story of the Bible? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
...Yet, such differences do not hold any significance to key points of Christian doctrine.

An excellent book on this topic is:
https://www.amazon.com/Heresy-...ianity/dp/1433501430

To me, such inconsistencies are to be expected from eyewitness accounts that were written down at separate times by separate people and translated and copied so many times over hundreds of years.

Differences resulting from the translation and / or copying is often overplayed by modern critics. Again, the book that I referenced is a worthwhile read if someone would truly like to exert more due diligence. Ultimately, those inconsistencies are immaterial.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
No. It's a story made up to explain something which could not, at the time, be explained.

I guess that implies that we can now explain those things?

We may now understand the concepts of genetic code within a cell but we don’t seem able to explain the true origin of such. Any theory seems dependent on some basic version / component for which some evolutionary change was then exerted. But what was the origin of that early basic version / component and what guided the original evolutionary instinct?

But, as already noted, the larger question is focused on the broken nature of the world & man, and how that broken nature might be reversed.

I’ve yet to hear any true answers from mere man as to that greater question.

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
To the OP;
Is your use of the word “accept” to be synonymous with “believe”?

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I do, I sure as hell don’t think we evolved out of swamp sludge and crawled up out of the water.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
No. That two people are the progenitors for the human race is absurd. Like much if the Bible it is a story to instill in people a moral code to follow.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I absolutely do.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
To the OP;

Yes, that is a common definition of accept in such a context, and that is how I intended it in the question.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I do.

I use the Bible as a guide to help me live a better life and be a better Christian.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my personal outlook and not intended to provoke or call anyone in particular out.

The Bible is full of mystery, some explained some not. People with confirmation bias seek to find inconsistency in the Bible, so its logical that's what they find. Scientist's believe in science, so its logical they scoff at things Christians believe that don't have a rational explanation.

I don't have a problem with denominational differences, I'm focused on what I personally believe - not what the other dude does/does not hold as canon.

Its healthy to be skeptical about different things, otherwise you fall for anything. Faith as outlined in the Bible is "the assurance of things hoped for, a conviction of things not seen"

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do believe the Bible. I believe the creation story in Genesis and the death and resurrection story in the four Gospels. I believe the parts of the Bible where it tells us we will inherit eternal life in Heaven not by works we do, but simply by putting our faith and trust in Jesus.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
I do believe the Bible. I believe the creation story in Genesis and the death and resurrection story in the four Gospels. I believe the parts of the Bible where it tells us we will inherit eternal life in Heaven not by works we do, but simply by putting our faith and trust in Jesus.

Bob

Amen! If the purpose of the Bible was only to instruct of the Law, it would have been much shorter. The fullness of the Bible is to demonstrate to our stubborn, self-justifying selves that no one - save for Jesus, God in the flesh - has ever fulfilled the Law.

2 Corinthians 5:21
“For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.”

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
To the OP;

Yes, that is a common definition of accept in such a context, and that is how I intended it in the question.

Saving faith is defined as including knowledge, acceptance and trust. Commenting on the below passage, John Calvin remarked, “I know not that, since the creation of the world, there ever was a more remarkable and striking example of faith; and so much the greater admiration is due to the grace of the Holy Spirit, of which it affords so magnificent a display.”

Luke 23:39-43
One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, “Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!” But the other rebuked him, saying, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

posted Hide Post
Yes I believe it is true.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
...Yet, such differences do not hold any significance to key points of Christian doctrine.

To me, such inconsistencies are to be expected from eyewitness accounts that were written down at separate times by separate people and translated and copied so many times over hundreds of years.

Differences resulting from the translation and / or copying is often overplayed by modern critics. Again, the book that I referenced is a worthwhile read if someone would truly like to exert more due diligence. Ultimately, those inconsistencies are immaterial.

I will not raise the subject of faith here, but I will take issue with this statement.

We are quite well informed about the workings and varieties of early Christianity, patristics--and we are most definitely well informed about the copying of manuscripts.

The book you linked overplays its hand. While I most certainly despise post-modernism, it's hardly the bogeyman in our understanding of early Christianity for some modern secularist endgame. The rise and spread of Christianity was a messy and fractious thing and came at a time of immense religious syncretism. That's not some polemicist overly fond of Derrida and Foucault: that's the evidence from the late antiquity speaking for itself.

As someone who cares much more about earlier periods, I only wish our documentation was as good as what we have from the 3rd c. on.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I believe it to be an allegory.

This is correct.

Writers of that day wrote allegorical. The important thing to know is that if there is no “Adam”, then there is no original sin then there is no reason for baptism then there certainly is no reason for Christ.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I will not raise the subject of faith here, but I will take issue with this statement.

We are quite well informed about the workings and varieties of early Christianity, patristics--and we are most definitely well informed about the copying of manuscripts.

The book you linked overplays its hand. While I most certainly despise post-modernism, it's hardly the bogeyman in our understanding of early Christianity for some modern secularist endgame. The rise and spread of Christianity was a messy and fractious thing and came at a time of immense religious syncretism. That's not some polemicist overly fond of Derrida and Foucault: that's the evidence from the late antiquity speaking for itself.

As someone who cares much more about earlier periods, I only wish our documentation was as good as what we have from the 3rd c. on.

That you Bart?

Syncretism has always been at play and continues to play currently with much vigor. It is a simple manifestation of the original sin.

posted Hide Post
Sorry, I was a bit crass.

However, if you’re willing to explain those differences that you believe materially impact the reformed, biblical faith, I’m willing to listen and attempt to respond.
In all sincerity.

posted Hide Post
I believe it. I don't want to believe in a God who is not capable of the story of creation.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I believe it to be an allegory.

This is correct.

Writers of that day wrote allegorical. The important thing to know is that if there is no “Adam”, then there is no original sin then there is no reason for baptism then there certainly is no reason for Christ.

you know this how?

you were not there. you choose not to believe. or at least - make up your own version.

i was not there. yet i choose to believe.

has always been thus. in time we will all be judged.

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe something was created from nothing by no one.
The first words of the Bible says, “In the beginning” and astronomers tell us the universe is expanding. So, apparently there was a beginning.

When I see all the complexities and wonders in nature it is easy for me to believe some supreme intelligence created all of it. Any being with that kind of power might just be able to decide how much detailed information or explanation I really need. I’m not waiting around until I have a complete understanding of everything.

Do I believe the account of Adam and Eve? Yes! An intelligence with the power create so many complex plants, animals and such can certainly have a history and instructions written to fit His plan for us.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post