SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you accept the Adam and Eve story of the Bible?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you accept the Adam and Eve story of the Bible? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
And just exactly as it is written in plain English (of whatever version you prefer): That Adam and Eve were real people created directly from dust and bone as bases; that Eve was convinced by a talking snake to eat the forbidden fruit; that the Garden contained a Tree of Life that would have made them immortal and become like God had they been able to eat its fruit; and that all those elements of the story are literal truths, not metaphors or other things that are supposed to be understood as meaning something other than what they state and describe?

I’m not asking for defense or even discussion of one’s beliefs either way, but if you have something to say, please be respectful of others’ opinions.

Question:
Is the A&E story the literal description of things that really occurred on Earth some thousands of years ago?

Choices:
Yes
No

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Can’t say that I do. I also don’t believe most of anything in the Bible occurred as written or at all for that matter.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the creation story as told in the Bible is accurate.

We were having this discussion when I was stationed up in the Florida Panhandle years back, a cross-section of GI's from all over the country and a few local folk were there.

Civilian supervisor came in the room, listened to us for a minute and said "Takes a lot of faith to believe in evolution", then walked away.

Had never thought about the issue that way before. Wink

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1925 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I believe it to be an allegory.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
I think that much of the Old Testament is stories being passed down from folks trying to explain stuff they couldn't (and we still can't) comprehend. I don't think it makes any sense to treat stories like Adam and Even, 200-year old (or whatever it was) Abraham, Noah and the Ark, etc. as historical accounts.

Posts: 693 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't necessarily believe the Adam & Eve story is accurate in its details, just as I don't believe that a lot of the Creation story is. I do, however, believe the Universe, Earth, and humans were created by God, and that the Genesis stories are a very generalized recitation of how it happened. The Bible is not a science text and one cannot expect exactitude when many concepts now known were unknown to the scribes back then. They saw the visions from God about it and wrote it up the best they could.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Agree. Further, it doesn't diminish religion, faith, belief, God, etc.

In fact, the opposite. I think people miss the point of many of the Bible's 'stories' because they take a literal approach, rather than thinking about a deeper meaning.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree, allegory.

Posts: 1453 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's a simplified allegory, intended to be easily understood and orally passed along by the target audience of the time.

Or as it was so amusingly put in the other thread:

quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
The Hebrews that recorded the story of Genesis had to be told - and told repeatedly - to stop screwing their sheep. Which are they going to understand and remember, "4.5 billion years" or "7 days"?

Big Grin

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I believe in the bible.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
No, but when I did previously I thought of it as a simplified allegory.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:

In fact, the opposite. I think people miss the point of many of the Bible's 'stories' because they take a literal approach, rather than thinking about a deeper meaning.

Religion is why, science is how.

If you take the Bible, and really any other religious text, as totally literal, it really takes all the magic out of it. It makes one look around today and ask "where did the magic go?" If I had to look at such things, and take them as the truth as written, well I'd end up totally atheist because it sounds ridiculous, especially when overlayed with the world I see around me.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who is to say what is literal when we don't understand what God is? It really doesn't matter, though, because whatever was, was.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
I believe it literally!!

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:

That's where I come down.
It's a beautiful story, told to teach a lesson.
The names, dates and other details are irrelevant. Who cares if the devil actually took the form of a snake and spoke to Eve? The important thing is that she was tempted by the evil one to do what she knew was wrong.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies thus far.
To make clear, though, believing it is allegory is not believing that it is literally true. That is, believing it is allegory would warrant a “No” reply to the poll. (At least for the purposes of this poll—and assuming there is any question in anyone’s mind. Smile )

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
No, no more than any other creation story of any other religion.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
Yes, I believe it literally. In Luke 3 the lineage of Jesus is traced back to Adam. If Adam and Eve are allegorical, then everything else is allegorical. That just doesn’t work for me.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
No, no more than any other creation story of any other religion.

I feel the same. I personally feel they are all mythology. No disrespect intended to those of faith.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post