SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Traveling Through Illinois. Need Some Info.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling Through Illinois. Need Some Info. Login/Join 
posted
I am from Wi. and am going to drive to Az. this spring. I have my CCW from Wi. What must I do to travel through Illinois, legally, with a handgun? Would I be breaking any laws by having it in a gun case in the back of my SUV?
Any help would/will be deeply appreciated!
Thanks..

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
In a case in the back w/o ammo is legal in every state you'll transit. Have you looked at which states on your planned route reciprocate?

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Ensure it's unloaded and locked in a case, then you should be ok under transiting rules.

Check here for carry rules and other useful links.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Are you on a mission from God?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'm not from Illinois but spend a fair amount of time there. If you have a CCW from your state you may carry concealed within your vehicle in Illinois.

Locked in a gun case would be no issue at all.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I'm not from Illinois, but spend a fair amount of time there. If you have a CCW from your state, you may carry concealed within your vehicle in Illinois.

Locked in a gun case would be no issue at all.

a1abdj is spot on. You can carry while in your car and "in direct proximity" of your car while perhaps storing your weapon in your trunk. You CAN NOT carry outside of your vehicle at any other times. For example if you stop to get gas, and want to go inside the station for gas or snacks, leave it in your car.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Stupid question...When you say “locked” in a case, do you mean physically locked with a lock, or just enclosed in a case?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rhinowso. I used your link and came up with this. You guys rock.
Thank you, so much!!!!

Non-Residents
No reciprocity: Out of state licenses not valid.
Non-Residents may apply for an Illinois license. Must meet essentially the same requirements as an Illinois applicant.
Non Residents are allowed to transport a concealed rearm within their vehicle without a permit, provided they have a valid out-of- state permit. If the vehicle is left unattended, the rearm must either be in a locked container or the vehicle must be locked.