SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    *Updated Page 3: Bought a Forester* Thinking about a Subaru - Forester or Outback?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*Updated Page 3: Bought a Forester* Thinking about a Subaru - Forester or Outback? Login/Join 
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by emac:
As an extra piece of advice I Will not buy another vehicle without eyesight. It has saved me three times thus far and at a $500 deductible paid for itself. I have not had it stop the vehicle unless it was needed. Not to mention that on long road trips the adaptive cruise is very very welcome. Subaru’s system is ranked one of the bests by IIHS.

Thanks for that. I'm still skeptical about these automatic safety systems, but I'm not opposed to a vehicle that has it.

In this case, the Forester I'm looking at has Eyesight, but the Outback doesn't.

I have a 2017 Forester with the naturally aspirated engine. It's got a lot of low-end torque and I haven't had problems passing on the highway. However, the point of my post is how much I love my Forester's Eyesight system in terms of a safety feature and to take the stress out of long highway trips.

Posts: 1265 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Rogue:

What model years are the two cars??

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4562 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Both 2016s.

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
2018 Outback here, 2.5L with a lot of the Limited goodies, Eyesight, but cloth seats. Love the car. Quiet, comfortable. Electric driver's seat is nice for the height diff between us. Unless you have a lot of big hills or tow, the 4 cyl isn't that bad. Coming out of a V6 RAV4 took some getting used to, but going from 22mpg to 27 is nice. Would love to trade my '16 Crosstrek in for one.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I recll the OB has wider seats - the Forrester perhaps more headroom.

Tires same diameter??
Just a side note - Subies DO NOT like directional tread tires - wheel balance and rotation get all messed up on mine.

Test drive both - go on feel....................

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4562 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a 2016 Outback just like the one you described. Like it a lot. We picked it over the Forester for the increased size/room.
I've gone as far as to test drive the 6 cylinder version you mentioned and while I'd like it better I'm not willing to pay the difference to upgrade at this point.
Ours does really well up to about 80 MPH. At that point it kind of runs out of steam and the gas mileage goes way down. Not usually an issue for us as 90% of our travel is around town.
I like being able to do the oil changes which are stupid simple.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I don’t like that anemic motor. Outback, get the 3.6. If going to the Forester, get the XT.

Agreed, as I mentioned in my first post. However, lightly used versions are tough to find, and I don't want to take the depreciation hit on a brand new vehicle nor do I want to pay new vehicle pricing.

That’s the deal, they barely depreciate. Subaru leads industry in resale. The trick is to buy a new one at invoice or slightly below. And I can get that done for you. Buying a used Subaru doesn’t make sense to me. If you look up invoice that’s what I could get one delivered to your front door for.

Subaru just sent me an email. 0% for 63 months on Foresters and Outbacks. That’s free money they are offering and I can get one at invoice. Please pick up the Courtesy Phone Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Prefontaine,

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
For the heck of it I checked out prices at the St. Cloud Subaru in MN, I bought my 2014 Outback there. You can get a 2018 Outback 2.5i for $25,275 with 0% for 63 months. You get a great loan rate and a warranty, something to consider.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have a 2000 Outback station wagon and literally could not have been happier the nearly 18 years I’ve had it. I keep thinking I need a new one, but will probably procrastinate until I can’t put it off any longer. Perhaps my driving habits and expectations are not normal, but I’ve never regretted having four cylinders despite some high passes between home and the big city. I can drive the speed limit going up with no problem.

No experience with the Forester, but I’ve long since lost track of how many times I’ve been glad of the greater back to front room in the Outback with the rear seats folded down.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Outback

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I will be in the market next year and the Outback is high on my list. One criticism I have read is that braking is sub par. I am questioning that criticism since none of the Outback owners posting here have mentioned anything brake related. Any thoughts?

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Wife has a 14 Forrester, I have a 12 Outback. Both have CVT's. The Forrester is more nimble, the Outback more luxurious. The Outback seats are wider, and are set lower relitave to the floor pan. For me this gives the Outback better leg room because the seat has more lower leg support. The Outback has more rear seat room. Both are excellent cars but I prefer the Outback.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
I will be in the market next year and the Outback is high on my list. One criticism I have read is that braking is sub par. I am questioning that criticism since none of the Outback owners posting here have mentioned anything brake related. Any thoughts?

I step on the pedal, it stops. I step harder on the pedal, it stops faster.

If I stomp on the pedal like my life depends on it, the tires lock up and the ABS kicks in. The brake force is enough to lock up the tires, so they are sufficient in that regard.

On long downhills, I use the transmission to maintain a steady pace so that my brakes don't overheat. I do this with all my vehicles, but the Subaru CVT makes it easy with the paddle shifters.

I can't remark on brake fade for spirited/track/trailer braking, as my Outback isn't really meant for that.

My 2012 had a fair bit of nose dive when braking. I fixed mine with stiffer springs and struts (as a byproduct of lifting the suspension). The stiffer springs improved brake feel for me.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Subaru CVT makes it easy with the paddle shifters.

at first skeptical, I've grown to reallyReallyREALLY like this feature. On the very few instances I wanted more acceleration than 'just the gas pedal' provided, instant response with this. Have used a few times in long steep mountain passes with satisfaction as well.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
My wife has a 2017 FXT, the outback is more refined but she liked the Forrester and I wanted the XT.

Seats although comfy offer 0 bolster support which limits my fun, wish they would put the WRX seats in the XT. Engine is great, a real sleeper, handles fairly well...steering is a bit too light though....CVT sucks...in manual mode it trys to act like a DSG auto but you can only use the "flappy paddles"....yuck

On the FXT the plastic feels cheap and has a lot of rattles and squeaks but I knew that going into it.

interface for the infotainment center is straightforward....no silly knob to play with.

Forrester has a nice high seating position which both my wife and I like.

she gets 21mpg and I somehow get 24mpg mixed driving, it will do 27mpg pure highway

All in I would still buy it tomorrow.....unless my wife gave into the 3 series wagon....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the outback small bass boat tow capable?

Posts: 355 | Location: SE, PA  | Registered: March 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by svick25:
Is the outback small bass boat tow capable?

2700lbs with the 4cyl.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Outback has always had better proportions imho.

Hard to get true wagons (though I guess the outback is kind of a wagon on stilts) these days and always found their length to really add in their overall utility. The extra overall length of the outback would put it ahead of the forester for me.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife has a 2016 Outback, love it.
Won't ever buy another vehicle without automatic safety systems like Eyesight.
All the features are great but the best one is the pacing cruise control.
I love that.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
My brother just bought a new Outback. I've seen and drove it once for a few miles. Nice car with some nice features for the basic base model he got.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post