SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    *Updated Page 3: Bought a Forester* Thinking about a Subaru - Forester or Outback?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*Updated Page 3: Bought a Forester* Thinking about a Subaru - Forester or Outback? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I'm considering upgrading my 11-year-old personal vehicle to a newer one. We've been very happy with the wife's last couple Subarus (a Crosstrek and a WRX), and I'm leaning towards getting a Subaru myself. However, both of the wife's Subarus have been fairly small, where I barely fit inside, with the Crosstrek being slightly better than the WRX in that regard. So I'd need something with more leg/shoulder/head room, which has me looking at either a Forester or Outback.

I'm looking at two very similar 2016 Subarus at the local dealer. Both are Limited trim level, both have the 2.5i engine and CVT, both with ~25k miles, and both at ~$25,000 (sticker). But one is a Forester, and the other is an Outback.

I haven't had the chance to test drive either one yet, but I've sat inside both styles before, and don't recall having a strong preference for one or the other in those brief encounters.

So I'd like to hear from the members here who have owned a recent Forester or Outback, or both. What are the pros/cons of each, in your opinion? What made you choose one over the other?

(Before someone mentions it, I do think I'd prefer a Turbo Forester 2.0XT turbo or a 6 cylinder 3.6R Outback over the 4 cylinder 2.5i versions, but finding lightly used versions of those at decent prices with the options I want looks to be fairly tough with the bit of looking I've done...)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
We just traded the Mrs' 09 Forester for a new Outback. Most pertinent observations are that the Outback is wider and has more sound insulation so it is certainly quieter. The main difference in interior space is that the Forester has a higher roofline and can accomodate taller cargo.

If you don't need the taller interior space I would recommend the Outback.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't need the taller space for cargo, but I might need it for my big head. Big Grin

When riding in the passenger seat of the wife's WRX, I hit my head on the ceiling when she hits a bump, unless I lean the seat way back, homey-style. And I tend to hit my head when clamboring in and out of it.

The interior height doesn't actually seem to be that different between the Forester and Outback anyway... In fact, the Outback's interior appears to be ever so slightly taller: about 0.8" more in the front seats, and about 0.6" more in the cargo area.

I do like that the Outback doesn't have a moonroof, unlike the Forester that comes standard with a large "panoramic" moonroof on the higher trim levels. I don't have much need for a moonroof, and would rather not deal with the potential hail storm/seal leak/etc. issues down the line. Especially since I tend to keep cars for many years.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
We have a 2015 limited Outback and my wife and I love it. Consumer Reports loved the car too. Their only complaint, are you ready, is the display for the clock is too small to read.

We bought ours new and now with 37,609 miles on it, have averaged 23.25mpg. Most trips are short and around town but we've also done quite a few road trips as well as we live in MO and our daughter is in college in VA.

Nothing but good things to say about our Outback.

Posts: 3714 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I don’t like that anemic motor. Outback, get the 3.6. If going to the Forester, get the XT. I’d take the Outback between them both. I can get you either at cost buying new.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Had a 2004 Forester, now a 2013 Outback. The Outback drives more like a luxury sedan by comparison. I am 6’3”, 195, and as long as I set the seat before sitting down, am perfectly comfortable. I am also able to do so while leaving plenty of leg room for my teenage daughter. Cargo space is ample in either, but the outback has a touch more than the Forester did.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15546 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I don’t like that anemic motor. Outback, get the 3.6. If going to the Forester, get the XT.

Agreed, as I mentioned in my first post. However, lightly used versions are tough to find, and I don't want to take the depreciation hit on a brand new vehicle nor do I want to pay new vehicle pricing.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I don't need the taller space for cargo, but I might need it for my big head. Big Grin

When riding in the passenger seat of the wife's WRX, I hit my head on the ceiling when she hits a bump, unless I lean the seat way back, homey-style. And I tend to hit my head when clamboring in and out of it.

The interior height doesn't actually seem to be that different between the Forester and Outback anyway... In fact, the Outback's interior appears to be ever so slightly taller: about 0.8" more in the front seats, and about 0.6" more in the cargo area.

I do like that the Outback doesn't have a moonroof, unlike the Forester that comes standard with a large "panoramic" moonroof on the higher trim levels. I don't have much need for a moonroof, and would rather not deal with the potential hail storm/seal leak/etc. issues down the line. Especially since I tend to keep cars for many years.

The biggest difference in the cargo area is that the rear hatch of the Forester is much more vertical where the Outback is sloped more, limiting the height of larger objects that can be stowed. If you look at the side by side you see what I mean. Smile

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
We have 2+ year old Legacy. Same running gear as Outback. Even with 4 banger motor there's not only ample but surprising performance.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went from an 09 forester to a 16 outback. I recommend the outback. As others have mentioned the cargo area on the outback is shorter and the lift gate is slanted. It took a little adjustment but I don’t notice that much of a reduction in space as the rear glass is put further than the inside of the lift gate and makes a little “bubble” for taller square cargo. As far as ride, quality comfort fit and finish is all superior in the outback. I have no issues with the 2.5 4 cylinder. Enough power for me to easily merge into heavy Pittsburgh traffic from short accel lanes.

As an extra piece of advice I Will not buy another vehicle without eyesight. It has saved me three times thus far and at a $500 deductible paid for itself. I have not had it stop the vehicle unless it was needed. Not to mention that on long road trips the adaptive cruise is very very welcome. Subaru’s system is ranked one of the bests by IIHS.

Posts: 198 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by emac:
As an extra piece of advice I Will not buy another vehicle without eyesight. It has saved me three times thus far and at a $500 deductible paid for itself. I have not had it stop the vehicle unless it was needed. Not to mention that on long road trips the adaptive cruise is very very welcome. Subaru’s system is ranked one of the bests by IIHS.

Thanks for that. I'm still skeptical about these automatic safety systems, but I'm not opposed to a vehicle that has it.

In this case, the Forester I'm looking at has Eyesight, but the Outback doesn't.

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Rogue what I don't understand is I thought the limited models all included a sunroof. Are you sure the outback you are looking at is the limited?

Posts: 3714 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a Limited. I'm probably mistaken about the moonroof on the Outback then. I haven't actually inspected the car in person, and may have overlooked it in the specs and photos. Not a deal-breaker.

Either way, the Forester's "panoramic" moonroof is significantly larger. It's basically half of the Forester's roof.

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yes, it's a Limited. I'm probably mistaken about the moonroof on the Outback then. I haven't actually inspected the car in person, and may have overlooked it in the specs and photos.

Either way, the Forester's "panoramic" moonroof is significantly larger.

I just checked and in 2015 the moonroof was standard for the limited and for 2018 it is also standard for the limited.

What I don't know is it that will limit your headroom versus getting a premium model wherein the sunroof is an option.

On another note, Subarus don't depreciate much. A few months ago Subaru kept sending us emails asking us to trade in our 2015 for a 2018 and it would only add $60 to our monthly payments. $60/mo x 48 months = $2880 and we would be driving a brand new, optioned as we wanted, Outback.

Hence you might want to reconsider buying a new one.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Outback. Until the 7 seater Ascent comes this summer, the Outback is Subaru's range topping SUV/Crossover. It's built on the larger Legacy platform, whereas the Forester is using the Impreza platform.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
versus getting a premium model wherein the sunroof is an option.

The problem is that I'm pretty well set on a couple options that are only available on Limited and higher, like leather seats and the upgraded audio system. Neither are available on the Premium or base levels.

The presence of the moonroof isn't a deal breaker, if it means I get the other options I want.

quote:
Hence you might want to reconsider buying a new one.

Maybe. But I've crunched the numbers, and $25k (or less) is really about the most I'm wanting to spend. With a bit over half of that in trade-in (or private sale) of my existing vehicle plus additional money down, and the remaining half financed for 36 months and paid off early.

I can't get the options I want in a 2018 Forester/Outback without jumping up to $30k/$35k.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
When I was vehicle shopping last year, Outback and Forester were near the top of my list. I looked at a bunch, my impression was that year for year, Outback was a bit more refined and would have been my choice if I had wound up with a Subaru.

I bought a Ford Edge. Of all the vehicles in my price range, this provided, by far, the best accommodation for my extra-long legs.

Both Subarus had very good leg room once I was in the driver's seat, but with my somewhat limited mobility, it was much easier for me to get in and out of the Edge. Outback and Forester would have been great for longer drives, but for errand days with a lot of in and out of the vehicle, Edge was a clear winner for me.

My primary criterion for picking the vehicle was ease of ingress / egress, coupled with leg room once seated. Everything (anything) else was considered only after passing that test.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sounds a bit like me. I don't have limited mobility, but I certainly dislike repeatedly climbing down into, and up out of, low vehicles. From what I recall, it's not a noticeable issue with these two bigger/taller Subarus, but I don't like the shorter Impreza/WRX partly for that reason.

posted Hide Post
We have a 2 year old forester and absolutely love it, I have zero complaints and it’s suprisingly fun to drive for what it is. It’s a great family car and it’s a beast in the snow.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has a 2015 Forester touring 2.5 NA. The car has 44K miles and we have only had one problem with a warning light on the rear hatch.

My wife is short and she complained she could not see out the back most suv's. The Forester had the best visibility out the back.

My wife has been telling me she is going to go see the Subaru Ascent when they become available. My wife was a Honda person but she is now a Subie fan.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post