SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ft Lauderdale - Fishing friendly beaches?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ft Lauderdale - Fishing friendly beaches? Login/Join 
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted
Will be down there in a week, and need to know about beaches that are friendly to surf fishing. Have fished FL beaches for decades in all areas but the SW, and it seems beaches in this area are rather restrictive toward fishing in all but very narrow windows of daytime (6pm-8am?).

I'd like to find beaches that allow fishing 24/7, are less crowded, and safe, especially at night. lastly, know of anyone in the area who sells fresh Mullet? I won't have my cast net, so fresh Mullet from finger to hammer handle size would be A-OK. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fisherman but when I've been there most fishing seems to be from the pier.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Many year ago a friend and I drove down there to party and fish. We went to a local tackle shop and he told us about the canals off the shipping channel. We followed his advise and hooked but never landed quite a few Tarpon, saw Snook. There were snowbirds fishing there and they wanted to know how we found out about their "secret" place. At that time, I don't remember anyone surf fishing.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much any beach is good prior to 9am when the life guards show up (and people). Best time is normally 6am to about 8, weekdays are better, less people

Most surf fish north of Sunrise blvd. Also the jetties at Port Everglades and Hillsboro are nice too.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
Pretty much any beach is good prior to 9am when the life guards show up (and people). Best time is normally 6am to about 8, weekdays are better, less people

Most surf fish north of Sunrise blvd. Also the jetties at Port Everglades and Hillsboro are nice too.

This. You’re probably better off going to anglins pier in Lauderdale by the sea and would have better luck, but I do see people surf fish north of sunrise blvd fairly often. Also john u lloyd state park, which is also your access to the southern jetty of port Everglades.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Never have been much of a jetty or pier fisherman. The last time I fished a pier, it was the one that recently got wiped out at Mexico Beach... This was in 1989.

I have been fortunate to have been a field tester/consultant to several tackle companies over the years, helping them develop high performance long range surf casting reels and rods, so it's pretty much sand between the toes only fishing for me.

Does anyone know of a place down there that might have fresh mullet for sale? I know some shops have live finger, but I would like hammer handle size to chunk up. I got some a Publix once in Destin, but it had to be ordered way in advance. Gonna bring my snag hooks, and hope I can connect. Mullet eating seems more common up there, than in SW FL.

Again, thanks for the help.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call Carl's Bait & Tackle Shop, on Davie Blvd. If they dont they may know who does. (954) 581-8890

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post