SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WV man charged in straw purchase for DC resident & felon
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WV man charged in straw purchase for DC resident & felon Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
This is really, really common. Legitimate straw purchases occur each and every day. Multiple times a day.

When are straw purchases “legitimate”?
When your wife wants a pistol for her birthday?

Negative ghostrider. That is a legitimate purchase by you that you later gift to your wife. Not a straw purchase. Now if your wife gives you money to buy her a gun, you may have a problem. (Like that would ever happen.)

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'd look at the terms this way: straw purchase by it's definition is illegal .... a legitimate 'gift' purchase can be done.

I did it a few years ago with the CMP, I ordered an M1 from them and specifically told them in a letter it was for my father's 80th birthday and he could legally own a gun and lived in the same state as me... I also added that if they could expedite the order it would be appreciated since his birth day was in two weeks and he was one of the 'Chosin Few'. Rifle arrived the next week.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Is this one of those , spend $155,000.00 of tax payer doller's to put more infractions in a guys pre existing file, and he's out on the
street in 2 years ?
I think this is a major flaw in our system. For most of the forum members here, two years incarceration would be devastating. Almost certainly one of us would lose our job, possibly lose our house, car, life savings, etc. In short, it would be an awful punishment.

Compare this to some low life who has never done an honest day's work in his life. He probably lives better behind bars than out on the street. Three hots and a cot, gets his teeth fixed, works out regularly and gets to hang around with and make new business associates. He may well come out in better shape than he went in.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2079 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
This is really, really common. Legitimate straw purchases occur each and every day. Multiple times a day.
...and from what I've read, rarely if ever prosecuted. This is a major problem that needs a solution.

What you read is the same no-new-gun-laws-you-don’t-enforce-the-laws-on-the-books mantra that always goes around. Like the article that was posted here from I think the Washington examiner some time back that quoted something like 4 prosecutions nationwide in an entire year.

Which I know was a crap claim because I had nearly 22 which ever year that was. After the COVID BS is done, I have 14 to take warrants for. And I have already arrested 13 or 14 this year. All the same song and dance felon in possession.

Both Jeff Sessions and Bill Barr have ordered US Attorneys to hammer straw purchases.

The whole issue to address on the “gifting” is does it pass the litmus test of....is the person you are gifting it to a prohibited person? If the answer is no, no one really cares. If the answer is yes, you probably have a problem.

There are always a whole lot of over speculation about state and federal gun Laws. I work cases state and federal every week. My suggestion of interpretation of state and federal gun laws in free states is this- It comes back to two things, are you doing whatever you are doing with prohibited people, and whatever it is you are doing do you have the feeling “Man, I really shouldn’t be doing this shit”? (Are you shouldering a bump
Stock 14 inch non-pinned AR while sitting on a pallet of cocaine with two felons? A reasonable person would say “Man, I probably shouldn’t be doing this) Big Grin

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:
quote:
Is this one of those , spend $155,000.00 of tax payer doller's to put more infractions in a guys pre existing file, and he's out on the
street in 2 years ?

My bendable decoder ring isn't working right now. I keep getting a recipe for broiled garlic shrimp.
I think I got this one. Big Grin

"Is the government going to spend a lot of money to put a couple more infractions on a guys record and then let him go in only a couple of years."

The government is going to spend about the same amount as any other prosecution. Average federal time I’m seeing locally is a year and a half (just on the straw purchase, felon in possession or armed career criminal notwithstanding). State time has been averaging 2.5 years.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So more like $255,000.00, ( just a non informed guess)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
So more like $255,000.00, ( just a non informed guess)

In pesos give or take.

www.opspectraining.com