SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What first got you interested in guns?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What first got you interested in guns? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
For me it was when I was around ten and one of my friends had a pellet gun and he and I would go out in the late afternoon looking for frogs to pop. Begged my dad for a gun of my own. Finally got a Crosman pump pellet rifle. Loved that thing.

Few years later got a Ruger .22 pistol. Shooting tin cans and an occasional rat at a local sand and gravel pit on a Saturday was nirvana. Sure was more fun than punching holes in paper along with people on both sides of me.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A love of history.

I got deep into WW1/WW2 military history in my early teenage years, which led to an interest in WW1/WW2-era small arms, which then led to an interest in guns in general.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
My Dad was a gun nut/reloader before I was born.

He started me out shooting when I was around 8 or 9, wingshooting and reloading when I was 9.

Been doing it ever since.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
1 - I was male.
2 - I liked to blow crap up.
3 - Guns accomplished #2 swimmingly.
4 - The more I blew up, the more I wanted to blow up.
5 - And here I am today still enjoying blowing crap up.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
My father is a retired PA State Trooper. He got me into archery and target shooting. I fell away from it during college but my interest was rekindled by ROTC.

I joined a local gun club after buying my first rifle myself. My friends at the club increased my interest, which led to acquiring more rifles and pistols. I got my instructor certification through the club and have served as one of a team of instructors for our basic pistol and personal protection courses.

Shooting is a great hobby and a great way to spend time with friends.

Just my own experience,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2078 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
History and I love mechanical “things”. I also enjoy the peace when target practicing - was shooting mainly .22 as a kid and some precision shooting with rifles for fun. The history of guns/weapons, and the innovation and impact are amazing. From a history perspective, our right to bear arms is unique and of amazing value to this country.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Had a BB gun when I was young. Then when I was 11 I joined Boy Scouts and the troop took the NRA safe hunter course. I got to shoot a .22 and a 12 guage that day. I was hooked. I had an uncle that was an avid shooter and he fed my enthusiasm. My parents let me invest in guns with my mowing money so I was off to a good start early.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Hurricane Katrina.

But it ended up being really fun. Not to mention the incalculable number of hours wasted here. Big Grin

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3619 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
80’s action movies and video games.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Growing up in suburban or rural PA, guns are something we are around from an early age as we have a lot of deer hunters here (or used to).

I was given a .410 shotgun at age 10 and a .35 Remington Marlin lever action at age 12

Went into the Army and was surrounded by guns

Got out and wasn't really into them again until I decided to get into pistols in my late 30's.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Hunting as a child.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me back in 1981, I picked up a browning .25acp and been in love with firearms ever since.

Posts: 826 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heatinajeep
posted Hide Post
getting my first gun (dad's first gun given to me) at 8.

We rabbit and squirrel hunted often.

Still have the sears 20g, it's a piece of shit gun. Extractor is missing and spent shells removed with a pocket knife. Love the bastard.

Posts: 1976 | Location: Moody, AL | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never had a BB gun. When I was around 7 or 8 my father bought himself a Crossman .22 cal pump pellet rifle. Well, he thought it was his. I only remember a very few times shooting with him when I was small. Mostly, that rifle was MINE! Laid to rest so many squirrels and birds over the years. Eventually it wore out. No idea what happened to it. For most of my adult life I really didn't mess around with guns. I did acquire a new Winchester Model 94 when I was 22 but rarely ever fired it. Then, in 2009, several of my buddies got me interested in target shooting with handguns so I bought my very first handgun, a Browning BDM 9mm.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up with my dad and brothers wanting to pheasant hunt on local dairy farms. So, I had exposure to .410, 12 and 20 gauges. My dad had a fun Browning .22 that we used for plinking.

As an adult, I didn't own anything until I kept admiring my brothers' Sigs (sheriff and the other a Fed).

I started with a P229 and then a Sig 516. Now trying to finagle a P365XL in California.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My dad and local uncles were bird hunters, but I did not participate with them. When I was commissioned 2Lt in USAF out of college, I was supposed to qualify with the handgun (1911 at the time). However, I'd been assigned to locations that did not have tha ability to train me in that discipline and it was 5 years before I successfully managed to quality (with .38 revolver). My inability to meet my service requirements (qualify) caused me to purchase a couple of firearms in an attempt to get "better" at it. However, my real interest did not develop until I'd been in 12 years and was assigned to Shaw AFB, SC. One of my subordinates went shooting at a sand pit every weekend and was a reloader, and he got me into doing it with him. I've been hooked on big handguns (and muzzle flashes) ever since.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
My dad was terrorist in his youth - mind you, the word had not been invented back then. Americans would rightly call him a patriot, since he fought to free his country from almost 800 years of oppression by an occupying nation.

He had a great fondness for guns that he passed to me as soon as I could get my hands around his Colt M1911 that he had somehow retained - a .22 rifle was also in the bag, and I still have that.

We sat down on the shingle, he wrapped his hands wound mine, holding the straight-back grip of that lovely old slab-sider, and I fired off the magazine-load, scoring a perfect hit on every incoming wave on the beach.

I was six years and four months old.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I have no history of firearms ownership in my family. In my extended family, I only know of one cousin who owns any guns.

I was raised to believe that you don't need guns unless you live in a rural area and to depend on the police for protection. That all changed for me when I watched the 1992 LA Riots live on TV.

I think that was the defining moment when I told myself, "When I'm old enough and can afford it, I'm getting a gun."

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Grew up in Kentucky, it's the law.....

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Watching re-runs of old TV westerns.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post