SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DOJ watchdog reportedly sends criminal referral for McCabe to federal prosecutor

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
DOJ watchdog reportedly sends criminal referral for McCabe to federal prosecutor Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
The Justice Department’s internal watchdog reportedly has sent a criminal referral for fired FBI official Andrew McCabe to the U.S. attorney’s office in Washington.

The move follows a recent DOJ inspector general report that found McCabe leaked a self-serving story to the press and later lied about it to then-Director James Comey and federal investigators, prompting Attorney General Jeff Sessions to fire him on March 16.

The Washington Post reported that the IG referred the finding that McCabe misled investigators to the top federal prosecutor in D.C. to examine whether he should be charged.

Representatives with the Justice Department, inspector general’s office and U.S. attorney’s office all declined to comment.

Republican Rep. Mark Meadows backed the move in a tweet Thursday afternoon.

"The criminal referral from the IG is the right decision. It's about time we have some accountability for this type of conduct at the Justice Department," he said.

On Wednesday, Comey also publicly acknowledged he was the one who prompted the probe and seemed to back the investigation’s findings.

The fired FBI director addressed his former colleague's controversies during an appearance on ABC’s “The View,” after being pressed on how the public was supposed to have “confidence” in the bureau after revelations that ex-deputy director McCabe lied about the leak.

“It’s not okay. The McCabe case illustrates what an organization committed to the truth looks like,” Comey said. “I ordered that investigation.”

Comey seemed to defend McCabe's character even while backing the DOJ inspector general probe's findings.

“Good people lie. I think I’m a good person, where I have lied,” Comey said. “I still believe Andrew McCabe is a good person but the inspector general found he lied.”

Comey added that there are “severe consequences” within the Justice Department and the FBI for those who lie.

While Comey may not have intentionally launched the investigation gunning for McCabe, it was spurred by a desire to find who leaked to The Wall Street Journal in October 2016 about an FBI probe of the Clinton Foundation. The story said a senior Justice Department official expressed displeasure to McCabe that FBI agents were still looking into the Clinton Foundation, and McCabe had defended agents' authority to pursue the issue.

That leak confirmed the existence of the probe into the Clinton Foundation, which Comey, who led the bureau at the time, refused to do.

Horowitz’s report said McCabe authorized the leak and then misled investigators about it, leaking in a way that did not fall under the “public interest” exception.

Horowitz found that McCabe lacked “candor” when questioned by FBI agents on multiple occasions, and that he told agents he did not authorize the disclosure and did not know who was responsible.

But McCabe’s legal counsel, Michael Bromwich, has blasted the inspector general report and has criticized Comey. The report said Comey and McCabe gave conflicting accounts about a conversation they had on the leak.

“The OIG should credit Mr. McCabe’s account over Director Comey’s,” Bromwich wrote to Horowitz in a letter, complaining that the report “paints Director Comey as a white knight carefully guarding FBI information, while overlooking that Mr. McCabe’s account is more credible…”

He issued a similar statement Wednesday in response to Comey's interview comments:

"In his comments this week about the McCabe matter, former FBI Director James Comey has relied on the accuracy and the soundness of the Office of the Inspector General's (OIG) conclusions in their report on Mr. McCabe. In fact, the report fails to adequately address the evidence (including sworn testimony) and documents that prove that Mr. McCabe advised Director Comey repeatedly that he was working with the Wall Street Journal on the stories in question prior to publication. Neither Mr. Comey nor the OIG is infallible, and in this case neither of them has it right."

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe once its all said and done, McCabe & Comey can be cell mates and reconcile their (now) troubled relationship. Cool

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
JALLEN, there must be an existing thread where news items such as this will fit. Please, always first look for an existing thread that relates to any article you wish to post, and if you can find one, post it in there, please.

We cannot have two dozen threads about Andrew McCabe and the FBI, scattered all over the Lounge, or multiple threads about this investigation or that, when threads addressing the subject already exist.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post