SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Multi-blade razor options other than Gillette
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Multi-blade razor options other than Gillette Login/Join 
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted
Looking to go with a good quality razor and wondering what my options are. ($35 to $75 range)

Thinking I am more inclined to do a quick shave and therefore the DE Safety razor is probably not my best option.
Believe this leaves me with the multi-blade options.

Found these blades which are compatible with the Fushion razor.
Personna EasyFit Fusion 5 Compatible Blades

Personna EasyFit Mach3 Compatible Blades

Seems Edwin Jagger has razors for the Gillette Mach3, but not the Fusion.

Looks like Parker has razors for both the Mach3 and Fusion.

Parker Long Handle Textured

Parker Ox Handle

Another option that looks interesting is Haryali London Fusion and Mach3 razors

Haryali London Rose Wood Handle

Any thoughts or experience with with Non-Gillette options?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I hear the dollar shave club recommended on occasion. I use a Gillette Sensor or that type double blade.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I used DE for years but last year went to Harry’s. I get 8 blades every other month and since I only shave twice a week that’s plenty.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Think Dollar Shave Club, Dorco and Swipe are all from the same manufacture.

That could be an option.

I tried Harry’s but the handle is too slippery for me.
Also I believe a heavier handle would work better.

I have a short beard and need to shave my neck and cheeks daily, otherwise it starts to itch.
Pretty quick growing on my chin makes up for lack of growth on my head.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
I tried one of the Shicks, Harry's, and Dollar Shave, but I ended up going back to the Mach 3 blades from Gillette. They just work better for me.

Posts: 693 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
November '16, I switched to Dorco (they make Dollar Shave Club's too) after 2+ decades of getting gouged on my Sensor Excel. I'm very happy with their Pace 6 Plus

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I use these Schick ones.. They work just fine for me. I use to use the Mach3 stuff, switched years ago because I found these on sale, never switched back.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started Dollar Shave Club on the advice of a forum member here and never looked back. I get both the five blade and the double blade.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I hear the dollar shave club recommended on occasion. I use a Gillette Sensor or that type double blade.

Have been using then for a couple of years. I’m happy with the service and quality.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m using Walmart’s Equate five blade version. It may not be completely equal to the Gillette, but it’s ok for me.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
BIC throw-away one-time use, I'm still using the remains of a hospital pack of 500 that I bought in 1988. I don't have much in the way of whiskers, and only shave every three days or so, so each one lasts me about a month or more.

I reckon they cost me about 8c each.

Not that I'm a tightwad, y'unnerstan'......

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
This story concerns a Royal Marine friend of mine, now safely ashore forever in the memorial gardens just outside Shrewsbury.

He was involved, like a lot of bootnecks at the time, in the unpleasantness in the South Atlantic in 1982, and all the way down, all the way through the pretty hard times, he used his Wilkinson Sword single edge razor blade - just the one. It lasted a total of fourteen weeks until it just got too blunt to be of further use.

He got the bright idea of writing Wilkinson Sword and telling them of his great experience with their product, how good it had been and how pleased his Sergeant-Major was to see him so neat and tidy about the fizzog on a daily basis, in spite of the efforts of a certain group of people to try and kill him in many painful ways.

Extolling the excellence in this way, Pete bethought him that perhaps Wilkinson would recognise him for the undoubted, lantern-jawed hero that he saw himself as being, and make him their poster boy, maybe even participating in a TV advertisement involving partly-dressed and nubile young ladies.....

About a month after the unit returned to Blighty, Pete received a return letter from Wilkinson Sword.

He eagerly opened it, and read -

Dear Marine G********, thank you for your valuable endorsement of our product, which has now been entered in our historic files. We are very proud and rightly so, of our long association with the Royal Marines and Army, and latterly the Royal Air Force, to whom we have supplied officers' service and dress swords and sabres since 1783, and many millions of bayonets since the late 1860's. It came as no surprise to us that our high-quality steel products should continue this tradition, albeit in a much smaller way, and we are therefore very pleased to send you, free of charge, a further fourteen weeks supply of our premium platinum edge razor blades.

With the greatest respect for your service.

Thomas Gleep [NRN]

for

Wilkinson Sword co. Ltd

Enclosed - one Wilkinson Sword Premium Platinum edge razor blade.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^Brilliant story. ^^^^^^ Thanks for sharing

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I've been using Harry's for a couple of years with a good cream and brush. Works well for me

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
As soon as I run out of my stock of Fusion cartridges (I have a lot), I plan on swtching and trying Barbasol's new razors. I like the idea of shaving with a Barbasol razor. Hopefully they are as good as the Gillette Fusion blades.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I use the Kirkland Signature blades from Costco now.

The handle is poorly designed - it's as if they did research to see where men place their fingers on the handle and then engineered the handle to avoid placing the non-slip textured surface in those areas. Not only did they avoid using a non-slip surface in the right places, they used a material that is about as slippery as possible.

But the blades are good - on par at least with Harry's and DC (although they don't look like they are made by Dorco).

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BIC throwaways do fine for me.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Dorco razors are very good, they make the blades for Dollar Shave Club, but you can just buy them direct and not have to join some silly "club".

I use the Dorco Pace 6 model and it's about the same as a Fusion but for around 1/3 the price:

https://www.dorcousa.com/pace-6/

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I'm using the Schick Hydro-5 now, after using Harry's for a while. They work well for me. I didn't care for the Harry's much.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went on a DE kick for a while, and ended up liking Merkur razors and Feather blades.

But it has gradually lost its appeal. Baun has continued to improve their electric razor products to the point where they are plenty close enough for me and a lot more convenient. I only have to charge it once a month. Just another option.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post