SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scottsdale, AZ Trip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scottsdale, AZ Trip Login/Join 
Picture of wingfoot
posted
Hey ya'll, I am going out to Scottsdale next week and play some golf and a day trip to the South Rim. The Misses and I love Mexican food and I figure this would be an excellent place to get some great recommendations, so what do ya'll recommend?

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
What kind of Mexican? Tex-Mex, the real stuff, food truck stuff?

A very good spicy one is called Los Dos Molinos on Camelback in Phoenix.

My personal favs in Phoenix are Valle Luna (three locations) and Manuel's on Bell Rd. All of the above have killer margaritas.

There's a decent one next to Scottsdale Gun Club and NW Armory called Habaneros.

There are a lot of very authentic food trucks in the ghetto Mexican neighborhoods. I work in that demographic, but don't eat lunch and don't go there at night. But they sure look good.

Posts: 3513 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Are you going to have a rental car?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I'm fond of Frank & Lupe's in Old Town.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phxtoad:
I'm fond of Frank & Lupe's in Old Town.

Todd

I second that. I had forgotten about them.

Posts: 3513 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

My personal favs in Phoenix are Valle Luna (three locations) and Manuel's on Bell Rd. All of the above have killer margaritas.

There's a decent one next to Scottsdale Gun Club and NW Armory called Habaneros.

There are a lot of very authentic food trucks in the ghetto Mexican neighborhoods. I work in that demographic, but don't eat lunch and don't go there at night. But they sure look good.

Looking more of an authentic, all we have around here is mostly Tex-Mex.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Are you going to have a rental car?

Yes sir, we will have a car.

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
https://www.google.com/search?...mFudA,trex_id:zJuORb

The Mission in old town ^^^

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3472 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taco Bell.

Because they have, you know, Baja Blast.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:

The Mission came across my research, it looks like a fancy restaurant, that one will be added to my list.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm not fond of Mexican food, but my Phoenix family has eaten at LaCucaracha on Indian School Rd.; Jordan's on Central Ave.; and LaPiflata.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is excellent.....or it was the last time I was there.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:

This is excellent.....or it was the last time I was there.

That was a recommendation on a golf forum I visit, that'll be on the list for sure.

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
To add to the list, Old Town Tortilla Factory in Scottsdale. More, "Sothwestern" than Mexican but it is really good! Good atmosphere and great food, their pork ribs are my favorite. El Encanto and El Encanto Dos in Cave Creek. The original is in the center of Cave Creek and all of its funkiness. They do have a large outdoor dining atrium built around a duck pond. Dos is run by the owners kids, similar menus and the food is just as good. We've eaten a lot at Dos just because of it being closer to Ben Avery.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingfoot:
quote:

The Mission came across my research, it looks like a fancy restaurant, that one will be added to my list.

I have eaten there several times. It is fancy with very good upscale service and food.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3472 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
My favorites are Jalapeño Inferno and The TeePee, but I’ve never cared much for “authentic” Mexican food. Or Nuevo Mexican cuisine.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

This!!! We went to Scottsdale a few years ago for vacation. We are still talking about the Mission in Old Town. We need to get back there, LOVED Arizona(we were there in February, perfect weather).

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Los Dos (Molinos) is great if you like particularly spicy (New Mexico) Mexican... Adovado Ribs or Shrimp Vera Cruz are popular, but not for the faint of heart, it's delicious and not gimmicky-hot but still quite warm... the one at the north base of South Mountain in South Phoenix is best.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post