SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need recommendations for an economical outdoor storage building
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need recommendations for an economical outdoor storage building Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I need a recommendation for the most economical means of building a large outdoor storage building, maybe 12x24. What do you suggest:

1. What type of construction/design?
2. Estimated cost (rough) if built on site by others?
3. Can anything reasonably be constructed by one person alone?

Ideally I would have a poured slab insulated metal building with a high roll up door, but that’s not all that economical to me right now. I will be surprised if we stay in our house more than five years before my wife has a serious moving itch so I do not want to get into a financed addition where the cost would be difficult to recover.

I have a 2 car attached garage that we use to keep our two cars and very little storage. Outside I have a small mini-barn that someone built the wood floor framing right on the ground, so it will not last much longer due to rot. It’s probably 8x12 and takes care of the outdoor equipment but leaves little room for storage of random junk in totes, etc. This will be completely replaced by a new building.

My initial though was to have a wood framed building on blocks built on site with an unfinished interior. There would be no plumbing. Most likely there would be no electricity, but that could change at a later date just to get basic 120v. Thoughts on this type of building and rough estimate for cost of a 12x24? I could insulate and do sheetrock work on my own later.

I’m not sure one person could build this alone without considerable experience, so labor to construct would be needed. The truss work seems to be the deal breaker.

I am open to alternatives, such as metal. I would prefer to keep it under $10k. Basically just the cheapest, functional storage building that would still last.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
A shipping container?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I think it is doable, but not with that budget. Pour a monopour slab. Probably about $2000-$2500.
Materials will be around $5000-6000k including the truss'. So that does not leave much for labor and roof. My guess is $13-$15k would be closer.
If permits are in the mix you will need to add that. If not, better yet.

Remember, if you sell the place you want something that adds value not detracts.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing a TuffShed would be under 10K.

Not sure about how it might suit your needs.

https://www.tuffshed.com/

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Here in Florida, there is a company called Superior Shed. They make frame sheds, covered in power coated sheet aluminum with windows, regular doors, or roll up doors. They are portable and brought in by truck, or can be delivered as kits to be built.

I had a 12x20 at my old place and it was great. I could have insulated it, but since it didn't have power, I didn't bother. The shed was well made and very useful. It was installed on leveled concrete surface footings and tied down with 4 hurricane ground screws. Ours had a window in one end, with a people door, and a 10x7 roll up door in the other end.

After installation, I nailed headers to the outside and build a dirt floor pole barn on two sides of it for trailers, lawn equipment, etc. The pole barn section cost me about $650, because I salvaged the galvanized roof from an old shed I took down, but even if I had to buy galvanized roofing, it only would have raised the price by about $400.

We bought the shed used, from a dealer on craig's list, for about $2,200, and it was delivered and installed. I couldn't have built one with materials from Lowe's for that price.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. If you can find someone who is selling one, even if it isn't a dealer, I imagine that for a couple of hundred bucks, you could have it trucked in by a house trailer company.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
A shipping container?

That's what I would do. 8x20 or 8x40 can be had for $2,500 for one that's usable, or $5,000 for one that is practically new.

They have their own floors, and are easily moved. No need for building permits. They can also be modified without much effort.

For example, say you wanted your roll up doors on the side and not use the end doors:

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
A shipping container?

That's what I would do. 8x20 or 8x40 can be had for $2,500 for one that's usable, or $5,000 for one that is practically new.

They have their own floors, and are easily moved. No need for building permits. They can also be modified without much effort.

For example, say you wanted your roll up doors on the side and not use the end doors:

I'm about 110% certain the wife would say no based on the appearances.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The concrete will be expensive and I'd get estimates on that for your location first. We've had two pole barns, one cabin, one quonset hut, and one concrete block garage built in the last 15 years. These have ranged in size from 12x24 to 30x60 and concrete was always a bit of a shocker.

A quonset hut in kit form relatively simple to build. Bolt some panels together to form an arch. Raise the arch and bolt it to the previous arch. Repeat.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I'm actually looking to build a similar sized outdoor workshop. Although with a wood floor vs concrete because of access.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm about 110% certain the wife would say no based on the appearances.

Do you have Menard's in your area?

They sell post frame kits. If you go to their website you can view them with pricing. You'll have to add the concrete work and labor required for building to get your total cost.

quote:
concrete was always a bit of a shocker.

We finished a 60x40 a few years back. The two garage doors and the concrete work individually each cost more than the building itself did.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Wood flooring on joists is doable sitting on blocks, maybe 1 block above grade.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
A neighbor just had a pole barn/garage erected on his pre prepared leveled and graveled spot. 30' x 30' 6x6 treated post. Ten foot side walls. Metal roof and sides. One walk door, one window and an opening framed for a large overhead door but no door included. Double Bubble insulation walls and roof. It has a 2x6 wood belting around the bottom that will serve as a form for a future concrete floor if ever added.

$8700. Labor and Materials. A crew built it in one day, including digging the post holes and setting the post!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post