SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pat Condell: The Anti-American Dream
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pat Condell: The Anti-American Dream Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
Please freshen up whatever you're sipping on and take the ~12 minutes to watch this. It's God's truth.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15480 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
No sound

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plenty of sound, no problem.

Yep, he speaks the truth.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Worked for me too. Hits the nail on the head.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Spot on!

Love his "disclaimer" in his YouTube description:

"The quickest way to create a captive society is to educate children to hate their own freedom. Nobody’s feelings were consulted during the making of this video. Anyone who has a problem with that can drop dead."

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The man is a prophet! Preach it, true, wide & far

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
"progressively mis-educated halfwits"

TRUTH!!!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I think the trouble isn't that the half-wits don't appreciate their freedom. It's that they don't appreciate others' freedom. If we can't learn to respect and protect others' liberty, we will not long keep our own. Half-wits cannot understand that principle because emotion blinds them. It's no wonder tyrants are frantic to remove our ability to enforce our will with state of the art weapons. Whip the young into enough emotion and they'll seize everyone's liberties found in the bill of rights in one fell swoop and we'll have no defense.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I think the trouble isn't that the half-wits don't appreciate their freedom.

I disagree. Look at the countless people who do things like live in highly restrictive covenant-controlled enclaves. The conformity of others is far more important to them than their own right to be left alone to do things that only remotely impact others. And many freedoms aren’t important to countless people because they don’t appreciate how important the concept of freedom itself is to our way of life, just as Condell points out.

Can’t own guns? Who cares: Not me, I don’t want one of those dangerous things.
Can’t practice a small, unpopular religion? Who cares: Not me, I belong to the most popular religion in the country.
Can’t wash your car on Sunday? Who cares: Not me, I have better things to do on Sundays. (That is actually a restriction in some countries.)
Can’t say whatever I want? Who cares: Not me, I don’t like contentious arguments, and besides I agree that certain things shouldn’t be said.
Can’t buy liquor on Sunday? Who cares: Not me, I don’t drink (or know enough to stock up during the week).
Yes, all those are about other people’s freedoms, but they are also expressions of the basic idea of freedom.

As has been pointed out, freedoms like those protected by the First Amendment aren’t to ensure the rights of people we agree with, they’re to protect the beliefs and expressions of those we don’t agree with. And as Condell states, that’s what is vital to a healthy society. Without an appreciation of the value of basic freedoms, regardless of whether they’re important to us individually, leads to acceptance of totalitarianism. To cite only one of countless examples in countless countries and cultures, if the people of Germany had objected to the oppression of Jews and other “undesirables” on principle alone, regardless of whether they personally liked Jews or gays or Roma or Communists or Jehovah Witnesses, the Nazis would have been nothing more than a tiny footnote in history.

Added: Perhaps we’re saying the same thing from two different directions, but to put it on a more basic level, people who have never experienced serious hunger cannot truly understand what starvation is like. Or as Marie Antoinette famously asked (supposedly), “If they don’t have bread, why don’t they eat cake?”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post